tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent last night in Delta Colorado and headed yesterday to a Marble quarry in Pitkin County. As I head up to go over what is called McClure pass I can see I'll be heading in to some more snow country. The marble from this quarry is shipped all over the world and much of it goes to Europe. I wanted to go up to the actual quarry site and see the quarry boss so I could gets some pictures of that part of the operation for you TJE, but the front office said the crew and boss were all in their annual MSHA safety class today and not be best to be disturbed by a peddler such as I.. I'll get some pictures next visit of the equipment they use. I sell them rock drill rods and bits from time to time, but most of the stone is cut out with this big fancy cable saw.

Not quit sure what this antique horse drawn looking fire fighting rig is? It looks like it has a couple of compressed tanks, like big gas charged fire extinguishers mounted on a carriage. Must be the early fire department for Marble Colorado?. They sure did a fine job in restoring it who ever that was? I believe that's a new addition to the little town of Marble. I've not seen that before.

Attachments

• pitkin county 1.jpg
    pitkin county 1.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 83
  • pitkin county 2.jpg
    pitkin county 2.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 88
  • pitkin county 3.jpg
    pitkin county 3.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 82
  • pitkin county 4.jpg
    pitkin county 4.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 96

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent last night in Delta Colorado and headed yesterday to a Marble quarry in Pitkin County. As I head up to go over what is called McClure pass I can see I'll be heading in to some more snow country. The marble from this quarry is shipped all over the world and much of it goes to Europe. I wanted to go up to the actual quarry site and see the quarry boss so I could gets some pictures of that part of the operation for you TJE, but the front office said the crew and boss were all in their annual MSHA safety class today and not be best to be disturbed by a peddler such as I.. I'll get some pictures next visit of the equipment they use. I sell them rock drill rods and bits from time to time, but most of the stone is cut out with this big fancy cable saw.

Not quit sure what this antique horse drawn looking fire fighting rig is? It looks like it has a couple of compressed tanks, like big gas charged fire extinguishers mounted on a carriage. Must be the early fire department for Marble Colorado?. They sure did a fine job in restoring it who ever that was? I believe that's a new addition to the little town of Marble. I've not seen that before.
Hey TR, thanks..still, some nice pics!...makes me miss my old stompin grounds in northwestern Canada. Their material/marble looks 'chalky' in the raw...know if it's hardness/density is equal to 'natural stone'?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the compressive strengths properties, it's not soft and many historic buildings have been built from this marble. They sell it all over the world for dimensional stone construction. It does hold up to the outside elements and is not like an alabaster stone at all. It's known as Colorado Yule Marble and it's been quarried for years. Here's the Wikipedia on it. Check out the photo of that 100 year old steam tractor that put out what in those days would have been a whopping 110 horse power. It was a monster... Yule Marble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure of the compressive strengths properties, it's not soft and many historic buildings have been built from this marble. They sell it all over the world for dimensional stone construction. It does hold up to the outside elements and is not like an alabaster stone at all. It's known as Colorado Yule Marble and it's been quarried for years. Here's the Wikipedia on it. Check out the photo of that 100 year old steam tractor that put out what in those days would have been a whopping 110 horse power. It was a monster... Yule Marble - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Steam tractor!..thought..it was a rocket on wheels! ;) Thanks for link, will check it out!...are you dealing in quarry saws as well as the diamond blades/wires etc. TR.?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steam tractor!..thought..it was a rocket on wheels! ;) Thanks for link, will check it out!...are you dealing in quarry saws as well as the diamond blades/wires etc. TR.?
Nope! I sell only rock drills and rock bits to an operation like this. I'll be maybe going here to Fredonia Arizona soon and one old timer I see has all that stuff like a cable saw and other stuff like that. They buy the little carbide whilibits from me and run little sinker drills. There's is also an old cable saw sitting in a yard down that way with other old equipment. I'll take a picture of it. Heck I don't know if one could fix that up and cut rock again with it?. The fella who has it I think is getting too old at running a rock quarry anymore. Heck you ought to take a trip down here and visit some of the stone quarries in the US. Lot of them to see from Vermont to California. Funny how they always seem to be working. The big gold mines are laying off many contractors down here lately. The stone business just keeps plugging along.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope! I sell only rock drills and rock bits to an operation like this. I'll be maybe going here to Fredonia Arizona soon and one old timer I see has all that stuff like a cable saw and other stuff like that. They buy the little carbide whilibits from me and run little sinker drills. There's is also an old cable saw sitting in a yard down that way with other old equipment. I'll take a picture of it. Heck I don't know if one could fix that up and cut rock again with it?. The fella who has it I think is getting too old at running a rock quarry anymore. Heck you ought to take a trip down here and visit some of the stone quarries in the US. Lot of them to see from Vermont to California. Funny how they always seem to be working. The big gold mines are laying off many contractors down here lately. The stone business just keeps plugging along.
Hey TR, "build with stone"..lasts forever! ;)..what we got depth-wise/layers (right now), is quarrying with saws/blades..but, surrounding larger quarries (including my grandfathers very first/original) here..use pretty much everything, drills/saws..most made and delivered from other country's galore!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck ya! 3rd little piggy knew how to build a house. Stone is so beautiful also. I had a guy make me a counter top in the kitchen out of concrete. I redid my bathroom and put a double sink vanity all completely built with a real black marble top and it came all put together from China. It was just to much of a deal to pass up. Home Depot couldn't come close to the details of this vanity at the price. I guess I'm a stinker now for buying Chinese stone. We never sell much to Canada, we're always buying allot from Canada. They make allot of mining equipment up there. As for stone quarry equipment like saws and stuff like that, not sure who makes all that stuff. I know a Canadian company named Boart makes diamond blades for concrete and maybe stone?

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck ya! 3rd little piggy knew how to build a house. Stone is so beautiful also. I had a guy make me a counter top in the kitchen out of concrete. I redid my bathroom and put a double sink vanity all completely built with a real black marble top and it came all put together from China. It was just to much of a deal to pass up. Home Depot couldn't come close to the details of this vanity at the price. I guess I'm a stinker now for buying Chinese stone. We never sell much to Canada, we're always buying allot from Canada. They make allot of mining equipment up there. As for stone quarry equipment like saws and stuff like that, not sure who makes all that stuff. I know a Canadian company named Boart makes diamond blades for concrete and maybe stone?
Heh heh.. TR, Where I,m sitting..is a double story, that has 2 foot thick 'stone walls'! built in 1860's. ;)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh heh.. TR, Where I,m sitting..is a double story, that has 2 foot thick 'stone walls'! built in 1860's. ;)
You being in an area that's been settled that long, id get a partner to sit backward on your snow machine and swing a metal detector on the tracks left behind you. :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You being in an area that's been settled that long, id get a partner to sit backward on your snow machine and swing a metal detector on the tracks left behind you. :)
Ha...probably work too!! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions