dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That ford has kept me going down the road. Friend and Mopar fan of mine felt his 360 wasn't doing the job on his service truck, so he put a 440 bored to 500ci in and a few more add-ons like a 671 blower. He now gets plenty of power. He said I need to take it for a drive? No Thanks! Its way to violent me to drive and you can't even think in that thing when the motors running. At idle the thing feels like its shaking to pieces , but I'll ride in it as that's fun to do.
That's pretty sweet! Not what you would expect to see in a service truck. Those first generation ram trucks are getting hard to find in good shape. Rust and time is catching up.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
jabete8a.jpg
My old dodge is just a standard cab 4x4. We have out grown the cab and so I purchased a parts truck with a good quad cab and will be swapping that onto my frame and loosing the 8' bed in favor of a short bed to make it all fit. I will be cutting a section out of the front of my bed to make it a short bed as well as allow me to keep my rear axle in it's original place. Regular short bed would require the rear axle to slide back exactly four inches...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I've herd that about the ram. I've never owned a Mopar, nothing against em and dang near bought one I test drove. I won't buy a Ford diesel again, but I can get by on this six with an oil change of synthetic as much as 7000 miles and still feel fine about my neglect. I do miss the power of a diesel, but I've got gears. They can all pass me. You do make a great point, I get 17mpg out of this truck.
I had an 1984 f250 with the 6.9 idi diesel with the Banks turbo kit, went good. I like the older 7.3 powerstrokesbut the 6.0 and 6.4 powerstrokes are HORRIBLE!! I have blown up a 6.4 powerstroke at about 50,000 miles on it. Expensive piece of garbage...

Your throw out bearing on your 300 six must be the integral style (inside the bellhousing)? I have worked on those before.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jabete8a.jpg
My old dodge is just a standard cab 4x4. We have out grown the cab and so I purchased a parts truck with a good quad cab and will be swapping that onto my frame and loosing the 8' bed in favor of a short bed to make it all fit. I will be cutting a section out of the front of my bed to make it a short bed as well as allow me to keep my rear axle in it's original place. Regular short bed would require the rear axle to slide back exactly four inches...
Nice looking truck. I may just look at an older Dodge Cummins next truck. I write off the mileage on my taxes for driving my personal vehicle at my work. So the less I pay and the longer it goes on the vehicle, the less I spend overall. Claiming the miles on my taxes reduces what I owe allot to Uncle Sam. I had a 96' F250 with the 7.3. I see one thing on your blue Dodge I don't miss on the diesel I had and it's that power cord attached to it. My glow plugs were gone and if that Ford wasn't plugged in even on a 30 degree night I was SOL in getting that truck up and running till I plugged it in and waited an hour or so before it would start. I had to find a place at every motel I stayed the night in the winter to plug that truck in and that can be a challenge. New glow plugs ain't cheap and when it was time for a clutch in that Ford diesel, that's when I got get rid of it. It had close to 300k on it, but still when I looked back on the maintenance cost of a diesel in fuel filters, Rotella oil changes, water pumps and big tires the diesel drained much more out of my pocket then any gas rig I've used and fuel cost was more on the diesel also. It be a whole other story if I had to haul a heavy load every were I go and with that I'd only consider a diesel.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best Dodge they ever built was the 6 months when they put the 24 valve head on the mechanical injector pump models. That was late '98, and NOBODY that owns one will part with it. I've got an '01.5 that has over 257,000 on it.....best truck I've ever owned.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always pressure them into flight any chance I get. I like seeing them clear the power lines, and it also keeps them from evolving into Dodo birds.:laughing7:

Homar
You can say that again? Goony birds is what I see them as. Why the fox and Coyote aren't keeping their numbers down is a bit of a mystery to me, must be their bad a$$ birds???. The turkey have moved in everywhere throughout the west now and the quail and pheasant have falling in population it seems. I could have a feast with these new Carp's of the sky Eurasian doves shootin them in the backyard with a pellet gun. Their every where now and stick around all year. I've sure seen some changes in nature in this country over the years. Where'd all thee jack rabbits go??? and 30+ years ago I would see ringtail cats in the Rockies, but it's been a long time from the last I've spotted one of those at night and how we going to deal with these jumping carp in the Mississippi. If you can believe this one I saw a roadrunner in southern Colorado just about 3 years ago. He was way out of his range.

Attachments

• eurasian dove.png
    eurasian dove.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 34
  • ringtail.png
    ringtail.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 38

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice looking truck. I may just look at an older Dodge Cummins next truck. I write off the mileage on my taxes for driving my personal vehicle at my work. So the less I pay and the longer it goes on the vehicle, the less I spend overall. Claiming the miles on my taxes reduces what I owe allot to Uncle Sam. I had a 96' F250 with the 7.3. I see one thing on your blue Dodge I don't miss on the diesel I had and it's that power cord attached to it. My glow plugs were gone and if that Ford wasn't plugged in even on a 30 degree night I was SOL in getting that truck up and running till I plugged it in and waited an hour or so before it would start. I had to find a place at every motel I stayed the night in the winter to plug that truck in and that can be a challenge. New glow plugs ain't cheap and when it was time for a clutch in that Ford diesel, that's when I got get rid of it. It had close to 300k on it, but still when I looked back on the maintenance cost of a diesel in fuel filters, Rotella oil changes, water pumps and big tires the diesel drained much more out of my pocket then any gas rig I've used and fuel cost was more on the diesel also. It be a whole other story if I had to haul a heavy load every were I go and with that I'd only consider a diesel.

It was about -22* when that picture was taken. I plug it in so the oil flows easier at start up. It has never failed to start even in those temps when not plugged in. I know exactly what you went through with the 7.3 you had. They were miserable to start in cold weather.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can say that again? Goony birds is what I see them as. Why the fox and Coyote aren't keeping their numbers down is a bit of a mystery to me, must be their bad a$$ birds???. The turkey have moved in everywhere throughout the west now and the quail and pheasant have falling in population it seems. I could have a feast with these new Carp's of the sky Eurasian doves shootin them in the backyard with a pellet gun. Their every where now and stick around all year. I've sure seen some changes in nature in this country over the years. Where'd all thee jack rabbits go??? and 30+ years ago I would see ringtail cats in the Rockies, but it's been a long time from the last I've spotted one of those at night and how we going to deal with these jumping carp in the Mississippi. If you can believe this one I saw a roadrunner in southern Colorado just about 3 years ago. He was way out of his range.

A string of dry spells and numerous brush fires have taken their toll here on our wildlife, but before that we had seen a very noticeable decline in Javalinas, and blue scaled quail. Not trying to top your roadrunner, but last year after shopping in
San Antonio, we stayed to see a late movie, and in our way out by way of loop 410 west, making our way to 35 south, there they were. Three Javalinas under a light of a business building, probably feeding on bugs. I have trouble believing it myself.

Those Ringtails have only shown their selves twice to me, and the last time was about 25 years ago. More people have seen Bigfoot :laughing7:, maybe they are a Bigfoot delicacy.:dontknow:

Homar

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A string of dry spells and numerous brush fires have taken their toll here on our wildlife, but before that we had seen a very noticeable decline in Javalinas, and blue scaled quail. Not trying to top your roadrunner, but last year after shopping in
San Antonio, we stayed to see a late movie, and in our way out by way of loop 410 west, making our way to 35 south, there they were. Three Javalinas under a light of a business building, probably feeding on bugs. I have trouble believing it myself.

Those Ringtails have only shown their selves twice to me, and the last time was about 25 years ago. More people have seen Bigfoot :laughing7:, maybe they are a Bigfoot delicacy.:dontknow:

Homar
I don't believe that is a good sign when foraging animals go out of their way to feed on insects. I had a buddy many years ago who when his wife and kids all left as he took to the bottle. I'd check on him from time to time as all around him was going to hell. He didn't feed his chickens as I noticed they looked very bad and were chasing bugs to feed on and some were even feeding on the weak chickens. I told him we need to gather them all up and put them out of their misery. He didn't want to do it, but I finally got him to see the state of his condition. We still talk these days as he has now 3 more X wives behind him and I can't count the kids from him He's now living in Montana all alone again. He doesn't drink or that's what I knew the last I spoke to him, as he's now a friend of Jesus last we talked. Hope to God he doesn't find a new wife in church. Women are his ruin.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe that is a good sign when foraging animals go out of their way to feed on insects. I had a buddy many years ago who when his wife and kids all left as he took to the bottle. I'd check on him from time to time as all around him was going to hell. He didn't feed his chickens as I noticed they looked very bad and were chasing bugs to feed on and some were even feeding on the weak chickens. I told him we need to gather them all up and put them out of their misery. He didn't want to do it, but I finally got him to see the state of his condition. We still talk these days as he has now 3 more X wives behind him and I can't count the kids from him He's now living in Montana all alone again. He doesn't drink or that's what I knew the last I spoke to him, as he's now a friend of Jesus last we talked. Hope to God he doesn't find a new wife in church. Women are his ruin.

It is sad to see a friend waste away that way, glad to hear that he is doing better. It reminded me of one man in particular, Martin Urieta. This man has composed the most beautiful Spanish songs to women. He can't sing at all, but the public has made him interpret his own songs.

"If women brought us into this world, let them be the one's to take us out of it." - Martin Urieta

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread