old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, was the town named for the mining of copper in the area?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, was the town named for the mining of copper in the area?
Well, digger I more then once had wondered how "Copper Mountain" got its name. I lived in that area when the ski resort was only five years old as it opened in 1972. Miners in the later part 19th century were prospecting every where in the Rockies and I found a little history on Copper Mt. that may give a hint on how that mountain got it's name.

In the mid 1800s during the Colorado gold rush, a few miners ventured to Copper Mountain looking for gold. Unless the miners didn't tell anyone, not much gold or silver was found. There was a mine shaft dug on the peak of Copper Mountain which yielded some low-grade copper but the operation was unprofitable due to its extreme elevation. On Copper Mountain some silver was found in mines such as Storm King Tunnel, Reconstruction, Reno, and the Dorsey Mine. Some small mines on Copper included Sunset Lode, Amanda Lode and the Good Samaritan Lode. Much more ore and some rich copper and silver veins were eventually found in the Kelleher Mine, May Raney Mine, and Lupton Boy Mine, all on Wheeler Mountain.

Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup ski resort. Different breed of people. But they lose their pretties too. I would go back when the snow and people are gone.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Tamrock. That part of the county and on down Ten Mile Canyon was more of a silver producing area; farther south there's more gold. Yeah buddy mamabear, definitely a different crowd, from all over the world. You can see we're pretty bi-lingual up here, which is fine, but it does aggravate me when makin a phone call and I hear 'Press 1 for dog, 2 for English'. As far as detectin the slopes and under the lifts, that ain't happenin. For me anyway. The snow does go away but the people are never gone. I asked at Keystone when the wife worked for them and it was a definite NO. Like everything else, I suppose if you knew the right people or had connections you could pull it off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions