Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hike to the Eagle's Nest

I'd seen these cave-like formations up on the mountainside from camp along the Arkansas in Fremont County, CO, before and decided to hike up there yesterday. It appears a simple walk, but very steep, loose rock, a little snow higher up, so an hour up, hour and a half back down. The holes are natural and the best formed one has an eagle's nest in it. Nobody home but a great view of the country. The arrow in the last pic shows where my camp is waaaay down there along the river.

Attachments

• 3-10n.jpg
    3-10n.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 3-10g.jpg
    3-10g.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 3-10i.jpg
    3-10i.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 3-10j.jpg
    3-10j.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 3-10p.jpg
    3-10p.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 59

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pics. That nest would certainly make the hike worth it. Hope you can find it occupied next time.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
OMG Rgin! that is beautiful!! Did you look for any mineral specimens on the way up there? Have you been to Rabbit Ears Pass?

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Valley there. My son used to work at colorado kayak supply in Buena Vista and we have a family friend who is a " kayak ranger " on the Arkansas there. I detected once in Phantom Canyon when I camped there just along the road

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been up to Light's store in Steamboat a couple of times Mamabear and I have some old pics of Rabbit Ears. We generally don't get up in that part of the country until it's definitely summertime. I'm always checkin the ground for rocks (and keepin one eye open for falling rocks up here). There is a posted active placer claim in this area where I'm camped and even though I'm not much of a threat to their operations I respect their claim. I did help them out by removing a bunch of black sand from their claim though. There are some signs of human activity here on the south side of the river, but I believe in this area the better detecting opportunities would be on the north side, which appears to be a better spot for historic and prehistoric comings and goings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread