tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I travel I will stop by some good spot to take a little time and hunt artifact. I can't find much with a detector and do some day need to gets some pointers on how to find good stuff with those beeping things. I really want to lean some day. Since I was a kid I like to hunt these stone tools. I lucked out last Monday on the San Luis Valley side of Poncha Pass in Colorado. It's a great place to hunt as it is a route from the Rio Grande river water shed to the Arkansas river water shed I would think has been traveled for at least 9 to 10 thousands years. I found this what I believe a type of 1-7/8" x 7/8"Folsom point or it is a refashioned point, meaning it was made longer originally and maybe picked up many years later by future peoples and reworked?. I took it out to photograph & measure it here at the motel I'm at in Blanding Utah.

Spring sure is giving signs here with a morning glory flower blooming by the motel. I got my dirty motel detector out to inspect the room they gave me and all looks good as long as the lights are dimmed. I now just came back to the room with some good old convenience store rotisserie pizza as all the good restaurants are closed for the season. Come summer this room will be a 100 bucks a night. Its nice and quiet tonight.

Attachments

• arrowhead 1aa.jpg
    arrowhead 1aa.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 89
  • arrowhead 2aa.jpg
    arrowhead 2aa.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • arrowhead 3aa.jpg
    arrowhead 3aa.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 80
  • arrowhead 4aa.jpg
    arrowhead 4aa.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 88

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find! :thumbsup: Your point is definitely a paleo point, and it resembles a Meserve Point. They are somewhat rough flaked and not as nicely flaked as Midland, or Unfluted Clovis points. It is not a Folsom point, jmo. But it is SUPER find! Next time you go back to the area you should do a little more looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find! :thumbsup: Your point is definitely a paleo point, and it resembles a Meserve Point. They are somewhat rough flaked and not as nicely flaked as Midland, or Unfluted Clovis points. It is not a Folsom point, jmo. But it is SUPER find! Next time you go back to the area you should do a little more looking.
Thanks Digger, I read talk on some of the post throughout this site on this "Oversteet" book? I guess it's a good reference to artifacts? I need to get that. I've got one other point that is wider, thinner and longer that looks like it is made of the same white looking stone, I've done a lot of travel to the mines in northern Nevada. At one mine out by Midas, Nevada there's a big deposit of this white rock. It's all over and one time I was with a fella and broken chunk of it sliced his tire open. It's funny when you get your passes to visit the mines in that area they provide a form from the state of Nevada that you must sign in order to visit the sites that reads you understand the area is an archeological site and your to leave all finds alone. Had to sign it. Did I pick up that broken piece of black obsidian point I saw in the area after I signed that agreement, can't remember if I did or didn't :dontknow:, So it's paleo "cool" ... I have one other smaller one fashioned the same from the area I found this one, but much smaller and made from quartzite.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I camp some times just south of Poncha Pass at Round Hill, on the east side of the highway. I was more interested in the treasure tales, but next time I'll keep my eyes open for arrowheads too. Take care if you camp there. I was watched from a distance and one came in the area to eyeball me up close one time. I came off as old geezer with a camera out for the day. Probably just my imagination from readin too much about the KGC, but I did set up a false camp that night. I might just run back down there next week on my days off.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I camp some times just south of Poncha Pass at Round Hill, on the east side of the highway. I was more interested in the treasure tales, but next time I'll keep my eyes open for arrowheads too. Take care if you camp there. I was watched from a distance and one came in the area to eyeball me up close one time. I came off as old geezer with a camera out for the day. Probably just my imagination from readin too much about the KGC, but I did set up a false camp that night. I might just run back down there next week on my days off.
Found this on the west side in the sage, just off a road that cuts to the north over the pass. I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across it. Take some time and hunt the area close to the Arkansas, north of BV. Get on the old RR grade road east side of the river, Lots of places to park and start looking. Sand washes and sides of ravines are good to check out. Reach down and pick up every piece of red and tan jasper you see. Could be something just sticking out of the ground? Try to focus out the overall natural color of the ground and focus on all things not natural and out of place. Things of odd shapes will become visible to your eye.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread