Buthchered some beef yesterday (Caution, pics of dead beef with no hides)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, some people don't mind looking at the little bit of beef they get in their Big Macs but are sickened at the sight of a dead cow. :) We figure there was about a ton of hanging beef after they were dressed.
Dang, I spelled butchered wrong and I can't fix it. To all you spelling police out there, give me a break. :)

Attachments

• beef1.jpg
    beef1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 114

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like good nom nom nom's!
We used to go in halves every yr with the preacher for a cow. That was Florida cows though.
I remember growing up, my dad sold tools and would call on a local packing house. They'd be hundreds of cows hanging, never bothered me. I mean, steaks don't grow on trees! LOL!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my first jobs, in High School, was help clean up the kill floor at a slaughter house, after school, that is a sight you wont forget!!! Still love me some steak, burgers, chops, hot dogs (yes I saw what goes in them)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..............I mean, steaks don't grow on trees! LOL!

No, but they do grow on hooks! LOL!

We butcher our own deer every year, and the electric fry pan is part of the process. Keeps you going.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty good to me. We get a half every year. Love my steaks and cheeseburgers.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my cousin wuz a USDA inspector and he showed me some crazy things. when you kill a cow dont look in thier eyes

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There yah go lady....Lots of Beef

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Certainly doesn't bother me! I love my beef (and pork and chicken and fish). I worked in a real butcher shop back in the mid 60s. Actually the store had groceries, meats, hardware, and appliances; and about three doors from the store, we (the company that I worked for) also had a clothing store. We bought forequarters and hindquarters of beef from a truck that delivered to the local butcher shops in the area. We also bought a few cows from local farms, took them to the 'locker plant', had them killed, and quartered. We hung them in our cooler until we had time to work them up. I've worked up quite a few quarters of beef and pork; plus tons of chickens. There was only one other store in town (about 6k+ population) that had a butcher shop. I also worked the grocery, hardware, and appliances. We filled orders of groceries and delivered them to the peoples homes and places of business. We also installed some appliances. I was a 'general flunky'. I worked all of it: stocking, delivering, and checkout of groceries, selling hardware and appliances, installation of appliances, and working the butcher shop. Those were the 'good ol' days' when I was quite a bit YOUNGER!!! lol!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
It always amazes me how different country & city folk are. What is accepted as every day life for one is totally foreign for the other. Thank God I'm a country girl!!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The steer weighed the most. The total for the 4 quarters on the hooks was 911 pounds. My son and I are splitting that one and the other 2 we sold. We have another big Angus ready to butcher but we don't have freezer room. Still have beef left from the last one and now the steer.
As many times as we've done it, I still feel bad when they have to get shot and carved up but at least they are treated humanely, fed good and not given any drugs or hormones. We raise our own beef, get farm fresh eggs every morning, grow a lot of our own fruit and veggies and I bake a lot of our own bread and buns. We can and freeze a lot along with smoking fish and freezing it. Had a lady from the city visit once and I'll never forget what she asked. A hen was walking around the yard with a clutch of chicks. She said, "How cute, are they still nursing?". I couldn't believe my ears. :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The steer weighed the most. The total for the 4 quarters on the hooks was 911 pounds. My son and I are splitting that one and the other 2 we sold. We have another big Angus ready to butcher but we don't have freezer room. Still have beef left from the last one and now the steer.
As many times as we've done it, I still feel bad when they have to get shot and carved up but at least they are treated humanely, fed good and not given any drugs or hormones. We raise our own beef, get farm fresh eggs every morning, grow a lot of our own fruit and veggies and I bake a lot of our own bread and buns. We can and freeze a lot along with smoking fish and freezing it. Had a lady from the city visit once and I'll never forget what she asked. A hen was walking around the yard with a clutch of chicks. She said, "How cute, are they still nursing?". I couldn't believe my ears. :)
heh,heh!,Hey PB, thought she might have said "when do you plant them..and how deep"? :{)

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That steer was a good size! My last bull moose was 788 lbs. cut & wrapped (take home).

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're thinking that, cut and wrapped, we'll get somewhere around 550-600 lbs. That's just a guess though, we'll see. It's all good!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was growing up in central Texas, Dad always tried to have us living somewhere that we could have a cow and calf, 2 to 4 hogs, at least 10 chickens, and a large garden spot. Both my parents worked in an old textile mill. My sis and I helped with gardening, gathering the eggs, and 'sloppin' the hogs. Each fall, Dad would have a couple of the hogs butchered and put in the locker plant just up the street from us. When I was younger, we lived on a 99 acre farm and I remember Dad, butchering hogs that we raised. A couple of his brothers and his dad helped. I can still (in my mind) see them 'scalding' a hog in a 55 gallon barrel of hot water down behind the barn. Between the cow, hogs, chickens, and garden we lived quite well without having to go grocery shopping too often. Mom even made lye soap in an old wash pot from some of the hog fat; and used some of the fat for cooking. UGH!!! That sounds awful now! We canned a lot of veggies from the garden. We had 4 wooden 1" x 3" x 7' pieces that Dad would clamp together and suspend from the ceiling for quilting. During the winter, Mom and 2 of the neighbor women (one was my aunt) would make quilts. I would occasionally help sew the quilts. I was about 5 to 10 years old during this time. When I was in the 7th grade, we lived on a 22 acre farm; but that is the last time we had the garden and animals. We still had a garden when I graduated from high school; but no place for animals because we lived in town. I really miss those 'good ol' days!! Most people now wouldn't enjoy those days; but I have fond memories of those old days.

deodra

Mar 13, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
They were stolen
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The last line is of epic epicness! Darn city folk. At least they are visiting, I guess...

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
think thats funny, Santa Rosa, California had me half dozen hens, neighbor ask how i got eggs without a rooster

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics don't bother me, and if you can butcher a hog, you're set for about anything. When I was little we would have chicken every Sunday, and my great grandma would take one in each hand, spin them around and wring their necks. It was a sight to see and she was famous in the family and area for bein able to do that. People would come and watch that. We have a pic of that stored away somewhere, and if I ever get a copy, I should post it. Maybe PETA would like a copy, too.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep! I've seen my mom and dad wring the heads off of chickens. I've also seen my dad take a rock about the size of a golf ball, throw it, and hit a chicken in the head to kill it. He was almost always 'dead-on' with his throw from about 15 to 20 feet. I've never heard of anyone else doing that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread