Spring Bird friends....Quail & Humming bird...:)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quail (Gambel's) come everyday...this guy was being the look-out & getting a bit wind blown.

FSCN0667.JPG FSCN0672.JPG FSCN0671.JPG FSCN0669.JPG

The Humming birds like to nest here...I think she's feeding...must have just hatched her eggs. Will try to catch when the babie start peeking over the nest. I think she's a "Black chinned", not to sure as we have several different types. It's a trip when they buzz you when you're wearing bright colors, come right up to your face...:)

RSCN0820.JPG RSCN0835.JPG RSCN0841.JPG RSCN0847.JPG RSCN0853.JPG RSCN0854.JPG ....sorry, not the best pictures...had to zoom in a little.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shots. I was in Questa NM yesterday and the humming birds were thick in the area I was at. That quail looks like he's giving you a show.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yes the hummers seem to like NM alright tamrock, didn't get any pic's of them? I think that quail was keeping an eye on me & the cats...poor thing. It's funny though, they come right up to the cats, like within 3-4 feet, just checking them out!? lol Was worried that the cats would get them but never have, thank goodness!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yes the hummers seem to like NM alright tamrock, didn't get any pic's of them? I think that quail was keeping an eye on me & the cats...poor thing. It's funny though, they come right up to the cats, like within 3-4 feet, just checking them out!? lol Was worried that the cats would get them but never have, thank goodness!
How funny!. Your cat just might think that bird has some kind of nasty trick up his wing? I've seen chickens gang up and run cats off before. They go all out to give that cat the message he ain't to come around us birds anymore. No picks of the hummers they were darting in all directions way to fast.

Last edited:

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Love these!! That's a different kind of quail than I have where I live.

I used to feed the humming birds, and had lots of them, but quit because one of my cat's was catching and eating them. I don't have a cat any more, but now I'm not home enough to tend to a feeder.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:...think you're right about the "bird gang" thing tamrock! Predators don't like it when "prey don't act like prey", freaks them out I guess. Yes, those hummers are fast, I was lucky to have gotten the pic's. Found another nest today, she was building on it & didn't like my watching and making quite a fuss so I left.

Thank you ronwoodcraft, they're Gamble quail. We don't feed them, think that's why they nest here since it's safer even though we do have cats. Other people in the area do feed them though, amazing little creatures...love'em.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your are fortunate to have those beautiful quail and humming birds around your place. And to be able to witness the male quail how off and claim his territory. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread