Bossy southern bird....lol...Blue Grosbeak....

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....don't be mad southern folk, I :love2: him....out of all these birds at the feeder he's the one who keeps an eagle eye on me, a very pretty and smart bird.:thumbsup: Then 2 more showed up & hung around with a white winged Dove. Only got to see a female once so far this year. And another one came along with a slightly different looking back color, maybe young one? Reason I called them "southern" is that they are from the south & new here, so a treat!

FSCN1520.JPG FSCN1516.JPG RSCN1697.JPG

FSCN2485.JPG DSCN2462.JPG FSCN2488.JPG

DSCN1972.JPG RSCN2074.JPG RSCN2072.JPG

FSCN2312.JPG RSCN2430.JPG RSCN2431.JPG

DSCN2514.JPG ...this is the one with different back & maybe a younger one. :)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful, beautiful birds. We have white wing doves and cardinals, but nothing like the rest of your birds. I do have a sort of tame little finch who loves shelled peanuts and a big old male bluejay that flys in and steals the whole nut from the squirrels.

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
those are the most beautiful color of blue I have ever seen. The wing coloration just stands out against that blue!! Do you have a zoom lense on your camera or can you get that close?

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Austin....your finch sounds very sweet & I know what you mean about the Blue Jays! I had one I named "catcher" because he/she learned to catch peanuts that I threw up in the air and would follow me around actually asking for more...it seemed to love to catch them, smart bird! Here's a picture of "catcher".

RSCN7517.JPG

huntress....Yes the camera has zoom....most of the pictures I take from inside the house & through dirty windows! lol But I could get real close to the Blue jay & a Towhee because they learned from us feeding the squirrels, that they could beg & get some to! Actually the Towhee learned from watching the Blue Jay......probably the two smartest birds I've seen here so far. I'm sad to say that I've yet to get a picture of the beautiful Spotted Towhee. :(

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....don't be mad southern folk, I :love2: him....out of all these birds at the feeder he's the one who keeps an eagle eye on me, a very pretty and smart bird.:thumbsup: Then 2 more showed up & hung around with a white winged Dove. Only got to see a female once so far this year. And another one came along with a slightly different looking back color, maybe young one? Reason I called them "southern" is that they are from the south & new here, so a treat!...this is the one with different back & maybe a younger one. :)
Great pics CK. We've a good variety of grosbeaks up here...but nothing like the blue one :thumbsup: maybe the other 'more camouflaged' one is a female? (since many are..for nesting protection).:dontknow:

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you're right TJE... that's the female. The "guys" are the pretty ones....guess that's why we have "make-up"...:laughing7:

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a blue! Looks like the whole packet of blue dye was used on him. I have blue jays, and rose breasted grosbeaks which aren't too shabby, but I wasn't even aware of the existence of blue grosbeaks!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJE....that's a nice way of putting it. :)

Meadow....if you ever get pictures of the rosey ones please post, they're lovely!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???

I saw this bird with others like it in Pagosa Springs Colorado this last week. I was walking and herd a bird sound like one I'm not familiar with and saw in some Elm trees these yellow & black birds eating the seeds. I'm not sure I've ever seen this species before here in Colorado. I couldn't get a shot with the sun light on them and didn't have much time to wait for a good picture.

Attachments

• bird in pagosa.jpg
    bird in pagosa.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tamrock....it's a good enough picture! Looks like an "Evening Grosbeak"....same grouping as mine but different family. Think they live in CO all year but stay more out of sight than a lot of other birds. Great that you got the shot.:icon_thumright:...thanks for posting here! :)

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tamrock....it's a good enough picture! Looks like an "Evening Grosbeak"....same grouping as mine but different family. Think they live in CO all year but stay more out of sight than a lot of other birds. Great that you got the shot.:icon_thumright:...thanks for posting here! :)
I can't say I've ever seen these birds in Colorado. I thought they looked very similar to the birds you posted from your area. They blended in with the elm trees very well. I could hear them in the tree, but it did take some looking to spot them. They made a sound that did stick out as different to my ears.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you're lucky to have seen one tamrock & got a picture! I found this for you.....

cocc_vesp_AllAm_map.gif 8130523904_8cc6266763_c.jpg ......:)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! Should have taken a little time to get a better shot. The sun was high over head and had it been a few degrees more I'm sure I would have got a better picture of these interesting birds. They didn't seem all that bothered I was walking around underneath them. How cool I saw some Evening Grosbeak's last week. Looks like they can be found all over the western US. I must say that's the first I took notice of them.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tamrock, now that you know they're there & you'll probably see them again in that area. In my book it says that they should be around here to, but I've never seen them. I think where ever you do see them, that's probably the best place to keep an eye out. It's so great you did get that picture!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread