Plant question....and a nature walk around property :)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....first, I love that Tnet has this forum, really like seeing everyones pictures & getting questions answered...thanks Tnet:icon_thumright:

OK...does anyone know what the name of this plant is? It looks kind of like a current but the leaves have more a shiny coating & are rough/stickish...here's a current leaf next to the one in question. The picture of the bush is the plant, it get pretty red berries...thanks!

RSCN3241.JPG FSCN3247.JPG

Here's more "plants".....first one is B. walnut...squaw bush.....grapes.....creeping C......false Indigo.....and cacti....plants are wonderful!

DSCN3168.JPG DSCN3267.JPG DSCN3277.JPG

DSCN3175.JPG DSCN3292.JPG FSCN3232.JPG

another question...why when I try to delete a picture does it end up below in "thumbnails" ? :dontknow: lol

Attachments

• DSCN3170.JPG
    DSCN3170.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 73

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kat,
With the normal disclosure, it is tough to tell by the pictures but it looks like a "wild" Currant. We have them around here and occassionaly come across a good patch that is worth the time to pick!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3xflyfisher...we do have "wild currents", that's what that first leaf is from...horses eat them all, so only have "nubby" ones. Horses won't eat the one I'm trying to find out the name of though...maybe it's not eatable?

vpnavy....thanks :)

Austin....;)...hoping for weed!? We do have lots of "weeds"...lol

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just lookin at the leaf I would say it's definitely related to the currant. I'm more familiar with plants of SW Oklahoma. You can probably ID it on the internet. Things that will help you are how the leaves are arranged on the stem, are the berries in clusters or singular, is it a bush or more of a plant, and if you know what the flowers look like thats a big help. Also, do you believe this is a native plant or an ornamental that has escaped into the wild? You see a lot of that these days. Not a good deal, but if you find mimosa trees growin out among the black jacks and cedars in western Oklahoma, you have found an old homeplace to detect.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for your input RGINN. :icon_thumleft: I will try to do some more research on it like you said. Am pretty sure it's a native "bush", the flowers are very tiny, whitish & more liy-ish. We do have a lot of tree's & plants like in my home state TX, but this one is?

In case someone else reads this, the oddest thing about it is the leaves are very rough feeling but shiny and, like I said the animals "do not" eat it, like they do the currents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread