Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mocking bird's ritual....only for M. B. fans....lol

Don't know if everyone enjoys these birds, (I think they're hysterical)...my sister had one outside of her place in Los Angeles once and it kept her from getting much sleep...wouldn't have been so bad but it only knew "city sounds"...cars brakes, alarms & such....so she's not such a fan. lol

So...this guy has been hanging around our place & I have all these pictures....:)

DSCN4404.JPG DSCN4410.JPG DSCN4415.JPG

DSCN4417.JPG DSCN4419.JPG DSCN4423.JPG

FSCN4320.JPG

Then he did his thing on the ground... RSCN3785.JPG RSCN3787.JPG

RSCN3805.JPG RSCN3806.JPG RSCN3809.JPG

RSCN3819.JPG ...he ended it with a nice bow and took his leave....quite a little show. ;)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Do me a favor. Toss him a few crumbs and send the cat harassing, old man harassing(me when I ignore them) always griping, little feathered
trouble maker back to Texas. Our magnificent state bird. I have always suspected that they were griping about the year round heat here, but that could just be me. Great pics though. Be careful or Texas Highways will hire you and make you move here...

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:...funny Austin...I love those birds, didn't know (or forgot) that they are your & my (I was born there) state bird. They kind of remind me of NM's state bird a little in that they're both comic's. This is our local one....

RSCN3438.JPG ...funny guy:)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have some hanging around here but they just make bird sounds like quail etc. My sons said if they hang around my house too much they will make a "snoring" sound. :)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever look at roadrunner straight in the face? I had a customer I think it was down in Las Cruces and they would feed this roadrunner. Every time I paid a visit there that bird would walk right up and stare me in the face. Boy do they look goofy looking at you that way. I think if the thing could have talked it say "you got anything to eat there chump" It hung around like a stray dog. I did one time west of Walsenburg, Colorado see a roadrunner cross the road in front of me. No one believes me though as they say they don't live that far north. I know what I saw and it was a roadrunner. I also saw a Chupacabra outside of Albuquerque around 20 years ago, just west of Coors Blvd as I took a hike up a storm ditch to an open desert area. It is said when you encounter one bad things are in the works and I did get a call that night that my uncle had just died. It was the creepiest thing I'd ever saw.

Attachments

• Roadrunner.jpg
    Roadrunner.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey kat!! Thanks for the neat pics!! Usually when they dance around like that they may have a nest close by trying to lure you away from it!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker....:laughing7:..snoring...that would be very funny to hear.

tamrock....that's a great story, love it! Wish our RR would become that friendly, he just comes & goes...don't get to see it that much. Is that a picture you took of it? It's fantastic! If so...was it female...I don't see the blue on the face, maybe just the angle?

VERDE....I took the pictures of the "dance" from the back porch using zoom...so wasn't really that near it....would they also do the dance for a female bird maybe? I was thinking that it was a male showing off for a mate...as they seem to nest later than a lot of other birds here.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Curious kat,

That's my favorite song bird, always enjoy hearing them. A Mexican friend told me that when they sing, there is only one bird on that tree. They are known to defend their territory, and attack other birds, so there may be some truth to this. He also told me that in Mexico they steal the young birds from the nest to raise them, and teach them their favorite tunes. I guess they play the same song to them over, and over, or just whistle the tune to them.:dontknow:

Homar

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I taught one to "wolf whistle" at gals ... funny as heck ..

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hi" back Homar....that's a nice story, thanks for sharing it. :)

ivan....that's to funny!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread