Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camped last night in the BLM campground on the outskirts of Radium, CO, cause the place I wanted to camp was full of people too cheap to pay $11. Radium is a little place along the Colorado SW of Kremmling, consisting of about 4 or 5 houses, twice as many people, and 27 dogs at least. I have no clue what the people do for a living. Campground wasn't that bad and hardly anybody there. If you like trains, then buddy this is the campground for you. The tracks are across the river and the train came through about every two hours through the night and stopped at Radium. Maybe the engineer's girlfriend lives there. It made a racket like you would not believe. Nice weather, and saw some bighorns in Gore Canyon this a.m. A motley crew, but happy to pose.

Attachments

• 6-17h.jpg
    6-17h.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 6-17i.jpg
    6-17i.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 6-17j.jpg
    6-17j.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 6-17k.jpg
    6-17k.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 6-17l.jpg
    6-17l.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 91

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never herd of a place called Radium. I wonder how it came to be called that? Must have some uranium in the area. I think radium is that stuff they used on early pocket watches to make the dial glow at night. The worker putting that stuff on the dials would wet the brushes they used in their mouth and it was latter found they got ill from radiation poisoning.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured you would know where that was, tamrock. You go up north on Hwy 9 and just south of the river near Kremmling you turn west. You turn off north to get to Radium, but if you follow the road on through it takes you to State Bridge.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hee, hee, Jason. Placing items on a railroad rail is illegal. Apparently, gangs or terrorists groups have made their way to tiny Radium, CO. Due to my extensive LEO training I immediately spotted this plan to derail our great nation's railroad train, and was able to foil it. I took this photo as evidence for my anticipated meeting with whatever passes for the high sheriff in Radium. (hey, I think one of them Sacajawea dollars would look pretty cool after the train rolled over it) And pretty cool you caught that Jason. Obviously you grew up in the country in Oklahoma. Or maybe you have extensive LEO training too! haha!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! I could never get them to stay on the rail. They always vibrated off before the train got there, but I have dug some train pennies so I know others were successful!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been up and down Hwy 9 a few times over the years, but I mostly take 40 down from the north. Heard of Radium, but if I was asked about it I wouldn't have been able to say for sure where it is? Sure looks like you found a nice spot away from the crowd and that always makes for a pleasant camp I'm thinking?. Tomorrow I need to head to Ouray and I'm going over Cottonwood for first time this year. I cut allot of fuel consumption going that way. It'll be nice gettin away from all the noise here on the front range for a bit.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got to spread them out Jason. That way you will get some flattened. So I have been told anyway.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently Radium was just named after the element, tamrock. That was mined in Colorado, but I don't know if it was mined around here. Radium Hot Springs is along the river near here. The Yarmony Archaeological Site is in this area, which is the main attraction for me. I haven't really narrowed the location down yet, but have an idea. No law against lookin around for artifacts on BLM land. However, should you pick them up and take them, you may encounter certain legal technicalities.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow I need to head to Ouray and I'm going over Cottonwood for first time this year. I cut allot of fuel consumption going that way. It'll be nice gettin away from all the noise here on the front range for a bit.

I love Ouray. Spent many summer vacations there and Jeeping the roads between Silverton and Telluride.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Ouray. Spent many summer vacations there and Jeeping the roads between Silverton and Telluride.
I have to work, but the drive over isn't to hard to do. I've been checking out jeeps on craigslist. who knows? maybe i'll get one some time. I'd do allot of that 4 wheeling in the 70's with a 65' IH Scout. Had a winch and thought I could go everywhere in it. Little 4 banger couldn't do more then 55 on the highway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread