curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got some pictures ...was nervous taking them, afraid that they'd take off since there wasn't much cover for them and mama was giving me the eye. Some of the pictures are of same shots...just closer up for a better view....so small & cute :)

DSCN0882.JPG DSCN0883.JPG DSCN0885.JPG

RSCN1321.JPG RSCN1322.JPG RSCN1325.JPG

RSCN1323.JPG

...and one of the males on look out post from another day...

FSCN4005.JPG DSCN3998.JPG FSCN4006.JPG

... I just noticed that this male has no side patches? That's odd...maybe hidden? Missing? :dontknow:....he did seem upset about something...:laughing7:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great photos. When I used to live up north we hunted grouse. Excellent table fare.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shots. That's interesting that he doesn't have his side stripes. I couldn't find a pic of a Gambel without them. Maybe email it to the local fish and game and they could tell you why.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chicks! That's completely awesome! :icon_cheers:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What great pictures! Sweet babies..thanks!:)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either 2 or 3 years ago, I let my little chi/terrier out into the back yard and saw her make straight for the corner of the patio. I didn't see anything; but knew there had to be something that caught her attention. I walked onto the patio and saw something move behind the smoker/bbq grill. It was a baby quail, no more than 2 inches long, with very few feathers. I noticed the mom and pop sitting on the privacy fence at the back of the yard. I picked Macy up so she wouldn't try to pounce on the quail and slowly walked back a few feet, thinking that maybe the mom would come after the baby. Just then I saw something moving in the grass about 5 or 6 feet to my left. It was another baby. As I looked, there were 8 baby quail scurrying toward the calling of mom and dad. Even the one on the patio ran toward them. The grown ups flew behind the fence and could no longer be seen. One of the babies was wandering about looking and stopping to listen; but didn't know which way to go. I 'herded' it toward the fence and it went under a little opening in the fence. The other babies had already gone through the opening. We have several squirrels, quail, doves, and (for now) Robins that come to the back yard. We have a cherry, pear, mini apricot, and a plum tree, that provide some 'snacks' for all of them. We very seldom gather the fruit and no one bothers the animals and birds here in town. I've some pictures that I took in 2008 of some of the quail while driving around town. In two yards, snow covered, there were approximately 300 quail. I really enjoy sitting, just looking out the back door, watching the 'critters' playing about. They are so cute. I don't regret the hunting that I used to do; but I wouldn't do it anymore.

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story texas..:)

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been impatiently awaiting the arrival of baby quail in my yard. I can hear mama & papa, but not seen babies yet. But on the way back from town yesterday I got to see a baby fox. First for me. Even tho it was so small it's tail was huge. I had to stop & watch till he was gone. & sigh, no camera with me of course!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone....yes, good story Texasred...I almost stepped on some about a week & half ago also, they were so tiny like cotton balls with legs. Hope you get to see yours soon mamabear. And a note on the Quail with no side patches...maybe he just has his wings lowered & covering them, I found a picture with a quail like that...but you still could see some of it, so I'm not really sure still.

We had another windy day (seems more so than not lately) and got these funny ones....

FSCN5076.JPG DSCN4634.JPG RSCN4644.JPG

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The quail in these pictures sure look different from the ones I've seen here in Idaho and the ones I saw in Texas. How colorful! The dove up here are a much lighter shade of gray than they were in Texas. I miss some of the birds we had in Texas, scissortails, mockingbirds, red cardinals, roadrunners, etc. There are a lot of different birds here that I would miss seeing if I went back to Texas also!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a link to the 6 major North American quail species and their distribution. I know Texas A&M 'created' a species that's all or mostly white and there is a Japanese variety called coturnix. Both of which are used in breeding programs for food and eggs. It appears to me that curious kat's are a variation of the Gambel quail.

Quail Declines ? Great Backyard Bird Count

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
funny side note on quail. In E. WA. they call them suicide chickens. Sad but kinda funny. here we have suicide possem, coons & armadillo. Why did the raccoon cross the road? to show the possem it could be done. Hope my humor isn't to offensive.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly it's true..poor things..:(

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasred....yes, there are great birds no matter where you are. :)

calisdad....you're right on the type of quail & thanks for that interesting info & site!

:laughing7:...mamabear, it was funny.:thumbsup: Here we have suicide buzzards & skunks...but have never seen any quail on the road...I guess ours aren't depressed. ;)

jfreakofkorn

Jul 19, 2012
behind a desk ...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is life at its purist .... got to love nature

everyone is just mixed up w/ technology and not noticing the simple beauties nowadays =/ ( IMO )

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is life at its purist .... got to love nature

everyone is just mixed up w/ technology and not noticing the simple beauties nowadays =/ ( IMO )

I couldn't agree more, that's for sure. Seeing a mole in a hay meadow is way more interesting to me than all the junk in the mall.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with you all...better a bug than a bill :)

mamabear...very thoughtful of you but you'd probably get paid worms & seeds.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to share- yesterday I drove right by a pair of quail with their brood in the road. I stopped to see if I could get them off the asphalt. They were so small 9 of them got under the mama quail. I swear you could put 2 or 3 in a teaspoon. But 3 lay in the road not moving. I didn't want to get too close as mortality is high when separated. All of a sudden the 3 got up at once and rejoined the rest and the left the road. All turned out well I'll probably never forget it. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread