Baby Hummingbirds and mama getting some down time....:)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...each nest should have 2 babies, sometimes one will get pushed out by the other :(...luckily this one has both.:)

DSCN0895 (640x480).jpg DSCN0897 (640x480).jpg

I wanted to share these of a "mama" even though they're not the best quality...just so cute...

RSCN6051.JPG RSCN6052.JPG RSCN6055.JPG

RSCN6056.JPG RSCN6057.JPG RSCN6058.JPG

RSCN6059.JPG RSCN6060.JPG RSCN6061.JPG

RSCN6064.JPG

And might as well add these.... RSCN4312.JPG RSCN5377.JPG ...:)

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have (somewhere), on disc, some pictures of some adult Hummingbirds that I took back in Texas during the early to middle 2000s. I remember some of the pictures of them sitting on a limb. I very seldom saw them sitting. When they did, they looked strange because they looked like they were straight up and not at an angle like yours are. I don't know what the differences are. If I run across the pictures, I'll try to post some of them.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all kinds of hummers around here but I've never seen a nest. Lucky you!!
I have petted one and I cupped it in my hands to warm it up and then let it go. My grandson was amazed. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasred....maybe it's the angle of the shot? When they're looking at you straight, they do appear more upright. Yes, find the pictures & post them, love to see. :)

...texasred...this is about as upright as I've seen them... RSCN0820.JPG

packerbacker....we live in a Hummingbird housing project...lol...I can see at least 5-6 nests right now, some empty as they do build "fake" ones sometimes. There's many more I can't see as well. I was watching one build a nest yesterday and it's finished now, we'll see if she uses it or not.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of me petting one that was cold and sitting on my Christmas lights. I ended up taking him into the house to warm him up.

Attachments

• Dad petting humming bird.jpg
    Dad petting humming bird.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker.....wow that's a great shot...didn't know they could be so trusting, what kind was he? Very nice of you. :icon_thumleft:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Packerbacker, truly amazing. I've never been able to get within 8 to 10 feet of a hummingbird! Although I suppose the cold was a factor, it's is still one of the most wonderful pictures I've seen.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I love standing by the feeders & listening to them. I's amazing how many come to feed. Love the pix Kat.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker....another great picture! Poor little guy really looked like he did need some TLC for sure...& you came to his rescue.:icon_thumright: Yeah, can't tell what kind he is though.

Yes...it is really nice when they fly right up to your face & your hair moves from the beating of their wings...powerful little amazing birds!

mamabear....you should take some pictures at the feeder, I got some a few years back at a neighbors feeder but can't find them...you can get some good pic's that way.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here kat, I'll try again. It might be a "ruby throated" type?? Light wasn't hitting his throat very well in the pic but it was a very shiny red. Looked fluorescent.

Attachments

• Dad.jpg
    Dad.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 60

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but I haven't run across those pictures yet of the hummingbirds sitting on the limbs. I'm afraid that they may have been lost when an external hard drive fell from a shelf and was ruined. I'm hoping that I have some on a back-up disc somewhere.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been brave enough to tell this story but you photo's might back me up.

Once I had a Hummingbird sit on my baseball type hat while I filled their feeder. I'm not even sure my wife believed me.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker....yes, think you're right...I can see the red, beautiful kind.:icon_thumleft:

texasred...oh, don't worry about it, it's the thought that counts.:thumbsup:

lost...I believe you! That would have be a good picture!

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasred....do you work for the IRS? :)
I also believe you lost. I've put my thumbs and forefingers over the perches on the feeders before and had them land on my fingers to eat. You can hardly feel them.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last summer when I was filling up the 2 feeders out by our pool house I saw a white hummingbird for the first time in my life. I didn't even know they existed. Later in the day my tenant who lives about 250 yds. away in the woods came up to use the pool and told me your NOT going to believe what I saw today???? And proceeded to tell me all about the white hummer she and her father watched at their feeder. Then I shared my story with her. I saw the bird 1 more time that evening and then never again.

I've had them land on my hat, arm and come right up into my face within 1/2". And this is with 15-20 of them at a time. It's just one giant HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM going on and a bunch of squeaking and fighting always!!!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm, Packerbacker, when I first saw this reply, I thought: What have I said that would make him think I was an IRS employee? Ha Ha Then it hit me: the lost discs. No, I've always been a government 'employee', i.e., taxpayer, but never an IRS employee!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker....IRS...that's funny...I was going to ask that to, but chickened out, so thanks.:thumbsup:

Limitool....you were very lucky to see a white one, made me think about it so found this to add to the post.....:) albino-ruby-throated-hummingbird2.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
packerbacker....IRS...that's funny...I was going to ask that to, but chickened out, so thanks.:thumbsup:

Limitool....you were very lucky to see a white one, made me think about it so found this to add to the post.....:) View attachment 1017347

Yea I realize I was very fortunate to see one... I didn't even know they existed but I should have I guess. I went and got the camera and stood 3-4 feet away from feeder for about a 1/2 hr. to get a "great shot" of this little guy. But didn't see again till dusk and couldn't get the camera in time. I did what you did.... I went to computer and looked them up also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions