OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice pictures TJE....looks like she waiting for something/someone....yes, sad that mama hasn't come back so far. But nature has a way of working everything out...so all will be well no matter. White cheeks may be scouting out his new territory, males probably have a much wider range. She's a beauty just like her mother and yes, looks ready for colder weather. It's been near freezing here at night, but warm/hot in the day still. Thanks so much TJE for keeping us updated on "our" foxes, at least it sort of feels that way now...lol
Yes CK, they are, all of "ours"..belonging to everyone & no one but "our" mother earth...just like all of us! ;) heh heh! whoa! that's too deep! LOL :)
Yeah, think 'white cheeks'(momma's boy) got an 'eye opener' when/whatever fate took place...hope to see them "together" again as winter closes in (couple months).

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She looks like shes not liking that weather very much. A little fox shot across me on Interstate 70 coming home last Friday night. I saw it crossing just in time to slow down. It's a bad time of the year on the roads for wildlife. It's that time of the year to put the feeding on overtime for wildlife. Yesterday I was in the back yard and herd the neighbors chicken all up in a ruckus. I thought a cat or something was after them. I looked over the fence and saw a hawk had them all in a corner of the yard. I yelled at it and it took one look at me at got the heck out of there. About a year ago the city ok'd it for folks to have as many as 5 egg layers in the residential districts here. The words out in the raccoon, skunks and birds of prey networks about all the good eats to hit up around here now. Most the neighbors keep their chicken in small caged areas, but this guy next door lets them roam around his back yard. I've seen these foxes around here leap some tall fences...Oh well! ain't my chickens.
Heh heh, free range chickens are the best tasting TR!...guess "any" meat-eaters think the same! :)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJE, she's a real beauty! Thanks for the pictures.

Agree tr777, hope she survives her first winter and brings/shows off.. her young ones in spring, just like her momma introduced hers! :)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes CK, they are, all of "ours"..belonging to everyone & no one but "our" mother earth...just like all of us! ;) heh heh! whoa! that's too deep! LOL :)
Yeah, think 'white cheeks'(momma's boy) got an 'eye opener' when/whatever fate took place...hope to see them "together" again as winter closes in (couple months).

Yes...very deep TJE...but we like "deep", much better than "shallow". :icon_thumleft: I have to chime in on tamrock's "chicken" thing. We "had" chickens, 2 sets, 2 different times. They were "free range" but taught them to come when called, so would put to bed & safety...we thought. Have to say I loved watching them come running because they looked like little T-Rex's....funny. Well, they would constantly call for help because of the hawks & I was forever running out to "save" them, the small chicken hawks were the worst, they wouldn't give up. I had to literally rip the chickens away from them. To make a long story short...a bobcat got one during the day, then a skunk or raccoon or ? ...got the others even though they were caged up....so, that ended our adventure "home grown eggs"...:laughing7:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kat, growing up, we kept 15 or 20 chickens, couple of hogs, a cow, and a calf. We also had some cats and a dog. Dad always tried to teach the dog to watch after the chickens. We had a 'hen house' that was fenced in. We would let them out during a day if we were going to be at home to watch them. We would 'herd' them into the fenced in area at night and close the gate. The only ones we lost that I can remember was to a stray dog that caught several of them before Dad shot and killed it. Several of the neighbors also lost chickens to the dog; but were never able to get a shot at it. I remember Dad standing in the front door with the screen open and the little .22 rifle braced against the door frame. The dog was running across the road with one of our chickens in its mouth. Dad had to wait until it passed by the neighbor's house, then shot it. I know this sounds cruel, but sometime things have to be done.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat surprise this morn...little girl (square tail) showed up again, 2 morns in a row. This time, (me talking, making/imitating sounds I heard her momma make to her and her brother when they were young/little runts in the spring) she then came up to within 4-5 feet away looking me in the eyes, then licking up some rain water off the stone slab we were both standing on :)

Attachments

• 2014-10-07 07.45.34-1.jpg
    2014-10-07 07.45.34-1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2014-10-07 07.45.46.jpg
    2014-10-07 07.45.46.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2014-10-07 07.46.11.jpg
    2014-10-07 07.46.11.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014-10-07 07.45.59.jpg
    2014-10-07 07.45.59.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 54

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome encounter! But be aware that if she gets to assimilated to humans she may approach someone that may not be that friendly. Hopefully the quarry is some distance from other home sites?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures TJE. :icon_thumleft:...she's so pretty and sure does trust you, think you must be a very good imitator of mama! She's probably missing family & you're the next in line for her. Yes, like old digger said, hope the other people in her range are as nice to her as you. You know, if you guys aren't feeding her and she's still hanging out with you, maybe it's like "family" thing...since she's known you just about all her life...and she probably wouldn't want to hang with "strangers", unless it was "food" related?

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah CK and D...pretty much just quarrys and bush where she is....and who knows if men in other quarrys are sharing lunches! (could be).

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TJE, is she as large as she appears in the pictures? I always thought of a fox as being a bit smaller. Maybe they're bigger in your part of the country.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJE, is she as large as she appears in the pictures? I always thought of a fox as being a bit smaller. Maybe they're bigger in your part of the country.
Hard to say tr777, don't know/not seen foxes down south...she's probably 14-16 inches at the shoulder (full grown males closer to 20 inches or more)...But then again!...recall what a friend visiting from England said a few years ago...she said "seems like everything is larger in Canada"ha ha...true story.
Heard the experts say..because of colder temps all animals will grow larger (deer, moose, bear etc.)

Last edited:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texasred is right...your foxes do look larger...we have grey ones here, but hardly ever see them. Didn't know about the cold making things larger, very interesting, wonder why, other than maybe eating more? Or...maybe they're a cross with coyote...lol Sort of kidding on that...but aren't there larger coyote's out your way TJE, that are crossed with wolves & so are larger?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that most cold zoned mammals are somewhat larger than those further south. Take for example the Whitetail deer. The deer found north into Canada are somewhat larger bodied than those deer the further south you go. The larger the body the better the chance that animal can survive the colder temperatures.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...wow...that's a good way of explaining it old digger...didn't think of that. Does that work with people to? :laughing7:

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, TJE, I believe those measurements are quite a bit larger than ones I've seen down south. The one I caught, I believed to be grown; but maybe not as large as it would be later. It was, as I seem to remember, no more than 12 or 14 inches high at the shoulder.
Great pictures. Everyone has really enjoyed seeing them.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texasred is right...your foxes do look larger...we have grey ones here, but hardly ever see them. Didn't know about the cold making things larger, very interesting, wonder why, other than maybe eating more? Or...maybe they're a cross with coyote...lol Sort of kidding on that...but aren't there larger coyote's out your way TJE, that are crossed with wolves & so are larger?
I've heard talk of coyote X with wolves CK, but not fox X with coyotes. Yes, body size is larger (needed to produce enough heat/energy to last the longer winters) is what the experts say. Same for 'hooved' wild animals.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...wow...that's a good way of explaining it old digger...didn't think of that. Does that work with people to? :laughing7:

Heh heh heh, think so CK...since most haven't had to 'chop wood' all winter to stay warm anymore! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread