tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That rock dust in the water ought to give her those essential minerals she needs.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super pictures TJE...love them! She's a happy neighbor, probably feels protected by you guys...how sweet! Looking forward to more pictures of her & family.:icon_thumleft:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your vixen looks like she is feeding a den full by how thin she is looking. It should not be too long before you get to see those little rascals.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprising...some morns just getting quarry open/warming up loader 6 a.m., and she seems to purposely 'show off' her sucsessful night hunt/kill for her young on her way to her den :laughing7:

Last edited:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJE.....Does she actually "show" what she's caught? I'm not sure what foxes do..."carry home or recycle" for their young? :dontknow: If she's doing "take-home", get a picture.;)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TJE.....Does she actually "show" what she's caught? I'm not sure what foxes do..."carry home or recycle" for their young? :dontknow: If she's doing "take-home", get a picture.;)
Pretty sure CK, that her young are aged past milk and regurgitated meals...:laughing7:
Yeah, she could go straight through the bush back to her young...but no..she has to come by our way in the wide open and pause for a few seconds to"show off" her talent...in her jaws :) (birds, mice, young groundhogs and muskrats etc.) Heh heh. Can you spot her here..she had caught something in this pic...but wasn't close enough to tell what it was ;) 2014-06-26 09.02.37.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was about 14 years old, some of the neighborhood kids were watching something in a tree on the far side of the next door neighbors' house. I walked over to see a young fox in the tree. I went back to the house and got an old cane fishing pole and a piece of rope. I tied the rope to the pole and fashioned a slip-loop on the end of the rope close to the end of the pole. I got the rope around the fox's neck and pulled it from the tree. I took it home and put it in a little storage shed behind the house. This was on Friday. I took food and water to it each day during the weekend. It shied away from me when I entered the shep; but didn't try to attack me. On Monday I told a friend at school about it. He told others and by the end of the day, the school superintendent, whose office was in the same building, asked me to come to his office. I had no idea what he wanted and was a little apprehensive about going; but did. He asked me about the fox and said he had some acreage outside of town that would be a great place for the fox. He also said he had some foxhounds [just like the English (?) use for hunting?]. I told him that I didn't want to give up the fox, at least not yet. I told him I was wondering if it could be tamed. He told me that if I didn't watch out, I could be bitten by it; but that if I was careful, I could get it in my grasp, hold it still, and rub it gently until it settled down, then I could turn it loose while still petting it. Sure enough, I caught it, rubbed it for a few minutes until it settled down, then let it loose while still rubbing down it's back. It seemed to enjoy being rubbed and didn't try to bite me. I had to be careful though, because at times it would still try to bite me until I held it and rubbed it for a while. I kept the fox for just over two weeks before it somehow got out of the shed and was gone.
TJE, if you get a chance, you might could do the same with this vixen or maybe one of the cubs. Watch out! I'm sure I don't have to tell you the danger of trying to touch one of the cubs if the vixen mother is around! Great pictures and hope to see more.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Great picture TJE...yes can see her, how amazing that she's so comfortable around you all. She seems to be really fond of you guys there, how sweet that is! Keep the pictures coming when you can.:)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was about 14 years old, some of the neighborhood kids were watching something in a tree on the far side of the next door neighbors' house. I walked over to see a young fox in the tree. I went back to the house and got an old cane fishing pole and a piece of rope. I tied the rope to the pole and fashioned a slip-loop on the end of the rope close to the end of the pole. I got the rope around the fox's neck and pulled it from the tree. I took it home and put it in a little storage shed behind the house. This was on Friday. I took food and water to it each day during the weekend. It shied away from me when I entered the shep; but didn't try to attack me. On Monday I told a friend at school about it. He told others and by the end of the day, the school superintendent, whose office was in the same building, asked me to come to his office. I had no idea what he wanted and was a little apprehensive about going; but did. He asked me about the fox and said he had some acreage outside of town that would be a great place for the fox. He also said he had some foxhounds [just like the English (?) use for hunting?]. I told him that I didn't want to give up the fox, at least not yet. I told him I was wondering if it could be tamed. He told me that if I didn't watch out, I could be bitten by it; but that if I was careful, I could get it in my grasp, hold it still, and rub it gently until it settled down, then I could turn it loose while still petting it. Sure enough, I caught it, rubbed it for a few minutes until it settled down, then let it loose while still rubbing down it's back. It seemed to enjoy being rubbed and didn't try to bite me. I had to be careful though, because at times it would still try to bite me until I held it and rubbed it for a while. I kept the fox for just over two weeks before it somehow got out of the shed and was gone.
TJE, if you get a chance, you might could do the same with this vixen or maybe one of the cubs. Watch out! I'm sure I don't have to tell you the danger of trying to touch one of the cubs if the vixen mother is around! Great pictures and hope to see more.
Hey TR777, great memory's! :thumbsup: I'd need people to remind me of all the animals/birds/reptiles/amphibians I took in
and released since about 5 years old..ha!
But, there's no petting her..she's wild.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Great picture TJE...yes can see her, how amazing that she's so comfortable around you all. She seems to be really fond of you guys there, how sweet that is! Keep the pictures coming when you can.:)
Ha, ;) 2014-05-14 07.17.54.jpg

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, she's wild; but so was the one I caught. No, I don't think you could actually catch her, hold her to prevent her from biting you, and then pet her 'til she settled down. It was just a thought that crossed my mind after telling about the one I caught. I don't know if anyone has ever caught a baby and raised it. I think it would be fun to try, cautiously though!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that ladder/ramp thing in the new picture "new" to that spot? When ever we put something in a new place the cats always have to check it out. Or maybe one of the guys was eating there & dropped crumbs....anyway love the picture TJE.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually CK, just an iron track (that a 'track saw' is set on to cut stone). Think she's sniffing scent from boots or hands from us handling it.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics from a few days ago. She heard or smelt something in the bush in the first pic..then gave a 'Yip'..from her body language I don't believe it was her young ones. 2014-07-12 07.18.04-1.jpg 2014-07-12 07.17.56-1.jpg

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So she's just getting to know you guys better by learning the smells, makes sense.:thumbsup:

...lol I just posted this & saw the new picture....WOW great ones TJE! Guess you used "zoom", it's so close...awesome.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So she's just getting to know you guys better by learning the smells, makes sense.:thumbsup:
Yeah CK, always made me 'envious'..watching animals use their senses that we humans lost long ago. ;)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

...lol I just posted this & saw the new picture....WOW great ones TJE! Guess you used "zoom", it's so close...awesome.:)
:laughing7: she let me get close with my cellphone camera..wasn't on the loader (on the stone floor) for these pics.(crop the pics a little to make'em larger. :)

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee then you were pretty close to her to get those pictures, very special! And those "lost senses"...they're still there & can be re-acquired, just takes practice like anything.:thumbsup: Again...super pictures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread