Got a Bird question..a funny quail...a lone guy...and some color.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...what do you guys think this bird hiding in the bush is? And what is that small yellow (blurry) one...both were very small.

DSCN5355.JPG FSCN9592.JPG

Saw this mama quail primping and thought it was funny.....

FSCN5347.JPG FSCN5945.JPG FSCN5946.JPG

For some reason this has been the only redwing blackbird we've seen so far...wonder why?

FSCN5337.JPG FSCN5335.JPG

...and just wanted to add these for their pretty "color" contrast....:)

FSCN5988.JPG FSCN5996.JPG RSCN5984.JPG

FSCN5991.JPG ......:)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little yellow fella, could he be an Oriole? Don't know about that other one.
The quail reminded me of my friends Iraqi Red pigeons. Was it turning in a circle, also? :laughing7:
Nice pics and thanks for sharing.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that's a yellow warbler, at least here in Ohio that would be my guess.

Yes,have to agree with Gold Maven, your little yellow bird is a Yellow Warbler. Just last week a pair helped their two youngings fly from the nest. They let me get to within a couple feet from their nest while they were feeding them. Sorry, but I forgot to take any photo's while I was working on the brick patio right below their nest.

140511A-036_Yellow-Warbler_Copyright-2014_Eddie-Wren-1.jpg

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some birds are getting ready to molt their feathers at this time of the year.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee, what bright colors on the red and the blue birds! What kind of birds are those? One looks similar to the red cardinals we had back in Texas; and the blue one looks similar to the blue jays back in Texas. I'm seeing all kinds of birds that I never knew existed since I left. I had always heard of magpies, but had never seen one until we stopped at a little place called Chimney Rock between the New Mexico border and Durango, Colorado, in March of 2007. In Texas I had been seeing some of the sparrows with red and blue coloring on their wings for several months before we left. I had never seen them before. I guess they migrated.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some birds are getting ready to molt their feathers at this time of the year.

Peacock has started molting his tail feathers. I'm picking up several a day now.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get those red chested sparrow looking birds around here. I've seen the gold finches moving in also to stake claim on their sunflower territories.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat....no, not turning in circles, just "fluffing up". lol That "Iraqi Red Pigeon" sounds interesting!

Gold Maven...thank you for the ID, looks like that's what it is.:icon_thumright:

vpnavy....:laughing7:...yes birds are nice & there's just so many around in the spring can't help but take pictures.

old digger...WOW...you had a nest right there in front of you...I just had a glimpse of the one I got a bad picture of.:-\ Thank you for posting the picture & backing up that it's a yellow Warbler. And yes, you should be "sorry" :wink:...so next time have your camera ready. lol Oh, didn't know about some birds "molting" at this time of year, very interesting!

texasred....the red one is a "House Finch" & the other a "Blue Grosbeak". And yes... each state has it's bird surprises!

River Rat...nice that you have a Peacock, sure are Beautiful birds. Someone around here has some, I can hear them in the distance...sounds like a jungle is nearby. :happysmiley:

tamrock....you're right, there are several birds that look like the red one I posted. Those gold finches sure are pretty, so entertaining to watch them on the sunflowers.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread