tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw these old, but still fine lookin late 50's GM bodied Buick & Chevy in Delta Colorado last Wednesday. With some work they still look like they could shoot you to the moon. Kind-of took me back as a kid living in the greater Chicago area in the early 60's going to the 'Dog & Suds' Drive-In on warm summer nights or me, my dad, brother and a couple of neighborhood kids, barreling down the freeway and heading to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs play. You'd never seen or herd of a BMW, Audi, Subaru of Toyota in those days.

Attachments

• delta 1.jpg
    delta 1.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 69
  • delta 2.jpg
    delta 2.jpg
    773.3 KB · Views: 73

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like your tales of "yesterday" tamrock, very sweet memories! And the cars aren't to bad either. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool older cars with class.8-)

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The white car in the second picture looks like the 1956 Buick I owned in 1965. The body was in great condition, but the motor had frozen during the winter without antifreeze. My wife's dad was working in a wrecking yard in Ft. Worth, TX and saw it when it came into the yard. I had a 1956 Buick with newly rebuilt engine, but the body was pretty well 'shot'. I bought the one in the wrecking yard for $50. After checking everything I could see, I only found a cracked head. I changed it one from the other motor and it ran great. I sold the old one to the same wrecking yard for $65 dollars because of the motor condition; just needed a head. The one I bought was solid white with black and red interior. I really loved that car and drove it for several years. Tamrock, the one in your picture looks just like it. Buick Special. In the first picture the old Chevy is a 1960, I believe; almost certain. (I'm almost never, very seldom, just sometime wrong. Umm, this could be one of those times. lol)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat cars. Texasred, I used to have a 56 Buick. One day the radio quit working so I took it out and removed the tubes. I then took the tubes to the store where you could check them on a tester. You then replaced the bad ones, put the radio back in the car and WALLA!....music!! :) Try that today.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember those tube testers I learned a few cuss words when my dad would find they didn't have the tubes he needed. You ever look at some of the high prices those old tubes go for on eBay? Some sell for hundreds of dollars... Not sure why? Must be rare.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any more pictures of the cars? I like to try to identify the ones in the background. I first thought the car to the left in the first picture was a 58 Chevrolet but the body side trim proved it is a 58 Pontiac.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any more pictures of the cars? I like to try to identify the ones in the background. I first thought the car to the left in the first picture was a 58 Chevrolet but the body side trim proved it is a 58 Pontiac.
Sorry I didn't get a shot of the car you mention, but if it's the white one I'm thinking it's a 57 Buick 2 door hard top. :dontknow: Here's a few other for some fun. I do know what the first one is. It's missing some parts, so that could be a challenge for ya. 3rd one is EZ.... :laughing7: Now they'll probably move my post to the "what is it"

Attachments

• old car 1.jpg
    old car 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
  • old car 2.jpg
    old car 2.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 63
  • old car 3.jpg
    old car 3.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 51
  • old car 4.jpg
    old car 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • old car 5.jpg
    old car 5.jpg
    813.1 KB · Views: 54
  • old car 6.jpg
    old car 6.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dog and Suds! I remember they would bring the root beer in these frosty thick glass mugs that had been sittin in a freezer. Nothing better than that in a car with no A/C.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog and Suds! I remember they would bring the root beer in these frosty thick glass mugs that had been sittin in a freezer. Nothing better than that in a car with no A/C.
Now that root beer is a lost treasure I'm thinking. I wonder if the recipe is still out there. It was the best root beer ever made that I remember. Those frosted mugs were absolutely great on those those hot & humid nights when nothing was on TV. I guess I never knew in those days there was such a thing as AC for your car, unless of course your dad had a Cadillac or Lincoln. I only herd those had such a thing. We had a gold color 58 Chevy Impala with a 348 CI. My dad would have nothing less then a big V8. in ever car he owned after 1957. You needed that for the new interstate highway system. He'd take a ride just to buzz around that clover leaf and open up all 4 barrels to hit that 75 mph speed and beyond as quick as possible and then cuss all who drove slow and didn't move over out of the left lane.... Know as the "Hammer Lane", by most truckers today. That new interstate system must have sure been an exciting thing for him when it was new to the country. I on the other hand take the back roads as much as I can because I like to dive slow and away from traffic, until I hit the freeways of Denver or SLC and then I hammer down and do 80+ Like everyone else. That dose wake me up from the long drives I do for work.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice photos. i gots a 56 ford pickup that i bought 42 years ago :hello:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white car in the second picture looks like the 1956 Buick I owned in 1965. The body was in great condition, but the motor had frozen during the winter without antifreeze. My wife's dad was working in a wrecking yard in Ft. Worth, TX and saw it when it came into the yard. I had a 1956 Buick with newly rebuilt engine, but the body was pretty well 'shot'. I bought the one in the wrecking yard for $50. After checking everything I could see, I only found a cracked head. I changed it one from the other motor and it ran great. I sold the old one to the same wrecking yard for $65 dollars because of the motor condition; just needed a head. The one I bought was solid white with black and red interior. I really loved that car and drove it for several years. Tamrock, the one in your picture looks just like it. Buick Special. In the first picture the old Chevy is a 1960, I believe; almost certain. (I'm almost never, very seldom, just sometime wrong. Umm, this could be one of those times. lol)
You,re correct on the Chevy. It had the six tail lights.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, Tamrock, the '59 had one long umm, 'stretched tear-drop shaped' one each side. Ok, I recognize the bottom picture of the newly posted ones as 1958 Plymouth. My wife's family had one when we met and married. Our first daughter was transported home from the hospital after she was born in it. The other pictures I am not familiar with. The third one is possibly a 1952 (?) Buick and the 4th one is a GM; but I can't remember what make the emblem on the front represents. At first glance I thought it might be a 1940/41 Buick; but after looking closer, I'm not sure after looking at the emblem. The second picture is a Chevy pickup; maybe about 1923 to 1926? The fifth, a pickup I believe, I can't remember the make or model but saw them a lot when growing up.
If you know what each of these are, please lemme in on the info!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Tamrock, the '59 had one long umm, 'stretched tear-drop shaped' one each side. Ok, I recognize the bottom picture of the newly posted ones as 1958 Plymouth. My wife's family had one when we met and married. Our first daughter was transported home from the hospital after she was born in it. The other pictures I am not familiar with. The third one is possibly a 1952 (?) Buick and the 4th one is a GM; but I can't remember what make the emblem on the front represents. At first glance I thought it might be a 1940/41 Buick; but after looking closer, I'm not sure after looking at the emblem. The second picture is a Chevy pickup; maybe about 1923 to 1926? The fifth, a pickup I believe, I can't remember the make or model but saw them a lot when growing up.
If you know what each of these are, please lemme in on the info!
2nd a Chevy truck I think was a 24' ?
3rd says on the window 51' Buick Roadmaster
4th 40/41' Buick coupe I believe also.
6th 58' Plymouth is correct and do remember it was the Savoy model.

1st is a 1937 Hudson Tarraplane & 5th maybe a 46' or 47' GM or Chevy 2 ton truck?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! As I said, I grew up seeing most of these vehicles; but never really tried to remember what they were. I believe the '58 Plymouth that my wife's family had was a 'Belvedere'.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didn't get a shot of the car you mention, but if it's the white one I'm thinking it's a 57 Buick 2 door hard top. :dontknow: Here's a few other for some fun. I do know what the first one is. It's missing some parts, so that could be a challenge for ya. 3rd one is EZ.... :laughing7: Now they'll probably move my post to the "what is it"

Picture #4 is a 41 Buick Special Coupe. #5 is either a 41 or 42 Chevrolet Pick-up and 3 Is a 59 Plymouth Savoy with a 54 Savoy to the left. Still working on #1 and #2 but I think #2 is an early 30s Chevrolet truck. I don't think I need to guess #3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture #4 is a 41 Buick Special Coupe. #5 is either a 41 or 42 Chevrolet Pick-up and 36 Is a 59 Plymouth Savoy with a 54 Savoy to the left. Still working on #1 and #2 but I think #2 is an early 30s Chevrolet truck. I don't think I need to guess #3.
I've already posted # 1 for TR77. Its a 37 Hudson Tarraplane. What tells you the rusted chevy truck is pre ww2 and not post ww2 ? you say its a 41 or 42.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already posted # 1 for TR77. Its a 37 Hudson Tarraplane. What tells you the rusted chevy truck is pre ww2 and not post ww2 ? you say its a 41 or 42.

Nothing other than the lack of research. It could be either a 41 or 46. 42 and 45 had painted "blackout" trim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread