curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard one croaking so went to see and this is what I found....Frog Love...:laughing7:....Does anyone how to tell which is male & female?

DSCN8408.JPG DSCN8409.JPG DSCN8413.JPG

DSCN8421.JPG DSCN8425.JPG DSCN8427.JPG

....this one looks like he (guess It's the male?) was going to explode.... DSCN8430.JPG

Then I changed position, they didn't seem to notice or care...kind of felt like I was spying, guess I was...;)

DSCN8442.JPG DSCN8445.JPG DSCN8459.JPG ...:icon_biggrin:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't stand that song Muskrat Love' by Captain And Tennille when it came on the radio, so I quickly changed the dial at the first note, Maybe I could like a song about Bull Frog Love. :laughing7: "I can hear the Bull-Frog callin me..Yaw!

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey kat!! Neat Frogs!! They better be glad they're not here in Louisiana or they would be lunch!! He He!! Thanks for sharing!! Hope your doing well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great nice clear shots CK, surprised you've the frogs already after that long drought you mentioned before...as for 'which is the male'...guessing, but if they're like the rest of nature, probably the one that ends up 'on top'!:laughing7::laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pics!
What brand of camera are you using?

Which one is the male? the one named Jeremiah:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker....:laughing7:

tamrock....to bad there's no audio on here...you could sing your Bull frog song for us. ;D

VERDE....never tasted them before, hear they're good....but...don't think I could...:tongue1:...looks slimy.

TJE....wish the drought had slowed them down, but nooooo.....they use to not be here & now are eating all the native critters & even baby ducks! TJE ;)...on how to tell who's who. I looked it up & they say you can tell by the size of that round thing behind the eye...if it's larger than the eye, it's a male. If about the same size as eye then female. ALso the males are yellowish underneath & females are white color. Your welcome for the lesson...:laughing7: From this info. I think the lighter colored spotted one is the male.

Oregon Viking...."Jeremiah" :thumbsup: My camera is a Nikon, not the best but I love it.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker....:laughing7:

tamrock....to bad there's no audio on here...you could sing your Bull frog song for us. ;D

VERDE....never tasted them before, hear they're good....but...don't think I could...:tongue1:...looks slimy.

TJE....wish the drought had slowed them down, but nooooo.....they use to not be here & now are eating all the native critters & even baby ducks! TJE ;)...on how to tell who's who. I looked it up & they say you can tell by the size of that round thing behind the eye...if it's larger than the eye, it's a male. If about the same size as eye then female. ALso the males are yellowish underneath & females are white color. Your welcome for the lesson...:laughing7: From this info. I think the lighter colored spotted one is the male.

Oregon Viking...."Jeremiah" :thumbsup: My camera is a Nikon, not the best but I love it.
I was wondering if it is a DSLR.....or "point and shoot" Your pics are very good.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks vpnavy :)

Oregon Viking....I guess it's a point & shoot...Nikon Coolpix to be exact...simple & easy enough for novices like me. :laughing7:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More great pictures. From 1984 until 2007, I lived beside a little 'ravine/gully/branch/creek'. It only had water in certain 'pools' during drier weather. There was one of those pools where it crossed the road at the corner of the property. There were evidently quite a few frogs around and in it. We'd hear them croaking during the evenings when sitting on the front porch or in the lawn.
When growing up, my wife used to use a little 'dropping-block/rolling-block' .22 rifle to shoot frogs in the pond where she lived before we met. She would take them home, cook 'em, and the family would eat them. I've never had any myself.

DesotoSis

Jul 14, 2014
MS
Detector(s) used
Hopeful future metal detector owner!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't mind my asking, which model Nikon Coolpix? Your pictures were so crisp and clear, I immediately searched the cameras, on Amazon, finding many variations.
Great pix and thanks!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasred....your wife sounds like a good shot. The Bull frogs sure can over run a place in no time...thanks for that story!

DesotoSis....the camera is a S9300 Coolpix :thumbsup:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeh.....
COOLPIX S9300 from Nikon
That is a great camera. And you also have a great eye for the subject you are photographing.
Are you using a tripod for most of your pics?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bit of the thread, but a little story. (I guess everybody's thinking: Oh no, not another one!) I was working as 'general flunky' for a Gulf Oil Distributor in Hillsboro, TX, in the 60s and 70s. Quite a few times I had to carry quite a bit of money for several miles from the service stations (Yes, actual 'service stations') back to the office. I was also delivering gasoline to the same stations at the same time. At a couple of locations, there was no place to 'hide' while I counted the money for the gasoline drop. I would be sitting at a desk in the middle of the sales office of the station. I started carrying an old revolver with me for 'just in case'. Later I bought a little auto pistol. A few years later I changed jobs and started driving a truck for delivering propane. A lot of customers paid in cash. Occasionally I would be out late at night during the winter months. One night I had to leave the house around 9 p.m. and left the pistol on top of the 'fridge for my wife in case anything happened. We lived about a half mile outside of town. The next day I got to thinking about leaving the gun with her and would she have known how to use it if something had happened. So I got my wife out in the backyard to 'show her how to shoot'. She kept telling me that she knew how to use the gun. I knew she could do well with a rifle and shotgun; but didn't know about a pistol. I took an old tin can and set it by a mound of dirt and stepped back about 20 feet. I handed her the gun that had a two and an eighth inch barrel. She shot three times and handed me the gun and just walked back into the house. I went out and looked at the can. Yeah, three holes for three shots! I never questioned her shooting again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions