My First Glimpse of Morel Mushrooms Growing in the Wild!!!

imbootoo

Jul 17, 2014
Wyoming
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two days ago in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming mushroom hunting with my son, came across these tasty morsels!!

IMG_5917smv.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh! I didn't think the morels grew in the mountain states all that greats, but it does seem to me now I maybe came across some little dried up ones at some point in Colorado . Looking online I see they are in fact found in Colorado. I'm going to see about finding those guys sometime, as I so enjoy eating them. We'd find those in the Midwestern States like Iowa & Illinois by the garbage bag full. Some times you'd see on a country road next to a farm house driveway a bushel basket full, with a sign saying (Take some, I've got to many). I'll be traveling by Sheridan & Buffalo going south next Friday. Wish I had the time to go find me some shoons. Those are a treasure to the taste buds for sure.

Last edited:

cayuse

Apr 3, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5, and an old Minelab that doesn't work
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mmmm! Those tasty little guys are $20. an ounce dried at a shop just down the street.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love mushrooms but have never tasted those kind...can anyone describe how they taste different than reg. ones please?

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
They are delicious, somewhat nutty in flavor and ohhhhh so good!!!

Know your mushrooms before eating them.
"When in doubt throw it out"

True morels have a stem that attaches at the base of the cap and are hollow inside!!!

Those pictured look to be true morels.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love mushrooms but have never tasted those kind...can anyone describe how they taste different than reg. ones please?

In my opinion the one's pictured by the OP are commonly called "blacks". And I have picked MANY of them and the larger white ones also. As far as I'm concerned THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. They are both so good. Picked, cut in half, soaked overnight in salt water, rinsed and then cooked MANY different ways from there. I could NEVER tell a difference. Grab'em all and enjoy!!!!!!!!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-\...sorry Limitool....I should have been clearer, I meant how do these "Morel" mushrooms taste different than the plain old common ones (name?) that are everywhere. I've never tasted a Morel...but I think maybe Doodle Bug answered the question.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:-\...sorry Limitool....I should have been clearer, I meant how do these "Morel" mushrooms taste different than the plain old common ones (name?) that are everywhere. I've never tasted a Morel...but I think maybe Doodle Bug answered the question.

Cool... If you EVER got a gallon of fresh morels and got them all cleaned and rolled them in your "favorite" batter or just quick fried in some oil in a stove top pan... it's a taste of heaven!!!!!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee Limitool....don't think we have them here in NM....:dontknow:....they sound wonderful, maybe I'll have to check the store next time...feeling sad:( & hungry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread