tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place is "Hells 1/2 Acre" and it literally felt like that in Wyoming this last week. Last night at around 5:30 pm I got to Thermoplis and the thermometer read 101 at the place I stayed. This feature of landscape is off of highway 26 maybe 50 miles west of Casper, Wyo. The wind was hot and blowing towards me as I overlooked this very strange landscape. It felt like a giant blow dryer set on high and blasting my face. You wouldn't get very far without water in this place. I'm thinking when they gave the name to this place, it had to be on a day like today. I've stopped by here in the dead of winter before and that another matter all together. I recall is was extremely cold and the wind was howling.

Attachments

• hell 1.jpg
    hell 1.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 89
  • hell 2.jpg
    hell 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • hell 3.jpg
    hell 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • hell 4.jpg
    hell 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you might of moved close to massachusetts:laughing9:
It's been many moons since I've seen Boston. I now wonder should I ever be curious to see it again?

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pictures. I'd never heard of this place. I readily see why the name was chosen! If you ever get back there in winter, I'd love to see some pictures of it during winter.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been many moons since I've seen Boston. I now wonder should I ever be curious to see it again?

Trust me buddy,you arent missing a damned thing except a lot of B.S. The last time I was there was maybe 10 years ago,I hated it then and i still hate it now.All it is is one big cluster fluck of idiots.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like it tamrock.....I thought "Death Valley" was it, thanks for the correction. :thumbsup:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! I read somewhere that the Starship Troopers movies were shot in this place.

images.jpg

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place is "Hells 1/2 Acre" and it literally felt like that in Wyoming this last week. Last night at around 5:30 pm I got to Thermoplis and the thermometer read 101 at the place I stayed. This feature of landscape is off of highway 26 maybe 50 miles west of Casper, Wyo. The wind was hot and blowing towards me as I overlooked this very strange landscape. It felt like a giant blow dryer set on high and blasting my face. You wouldn't get very far without water in this place. I'm thinking when they gave the name to this place, it had to be on a day like today. I've stopped by here in the dead of winter before and that another matter all together. I recall is was extremely cold and the wind was howling.

Howdy Tamrock,

Thanks for posting so many nice pictures, this place really looks nice to me.??? :evil4:

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics TR, very interesting place..would love to check an area like that 'on foot'!...but between summer and mid-winter ;)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an opportunity for an adventurous hike on a cloudy day, but a backpack of water is a must.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an opportunity for an adventurous hike on a cloudy day, but a backpack of water is a must.
Your back Ol' friend. How goes it? They did put a tall chain-link fence around it all from the roadside pull-off, so you'd need to walk around all that. Is the weather starting to cool down up there?. It's drizzling rain and 59 degrees here at my home today. What a wonderful change in the weather from last week. Sure beats that 101 up in Thermopolis last Thursday afternoon.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your back Ol' friend. How goes it? They did put a tall chain-link fence around it all from the roadside pull-off, so you'd need to walk around all that. Is the weather starting to cool down up there?. It's drizzling rain and 59 degrees here at my home today. What a wonderful change in the weather from last week. Sure beats that 101 up in Thermopolis last Thursday afternoon.

That's a bummer about the fence, but I guess there are some people that do not know their limitations. As for temperatures, we are forecasted with 90s for the next two or three days. Just rub it in on the cooler temps down there.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

:headbang:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bummer about the fence, but I guess there are some people that do not know their limitations. As for temperatures, we are forecasted with 90s for the next two or three days. Just rub it in on the cooler temps down there.
That's sad :( I thought for sure the cooler air was coming your way also. I'm thinking they'll be some cooler air from the north coming your way soon. This site does have some archaeological importance, so I guess it was time to do what they can to make it off limits. I didn't see any signs telling you to "stay out" and it would be a neat place to have a look around. Officials argue fate of Hell's Half Acre

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tamrock, been through Thermopolis many times..and in
every season. It is always blowing in Wyoming...not sure it
ever stops.

Spent a week in Thermopolis one day while waiting out a
blizzard; they never closed Hwy 20, but my Freightliner
was plowing 3' of snow when I pulled over in the center
of town.

I used to load Bentonite up in Greybull, then run down
Hwy 20 to 26. Always LMAO when I went over "South Park
Pass"..all I could think of was little round-ball looking
cartoon kids swearing..:laughing7:

BTW, it only snows one time per year in Wyoming;
the snow just gets blown around the state for the
rest of the winter...:occasion14:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock, been through Thermopolis many times..and in
every season. It is always blowing in Wyoming...not sure it
ever stops.

Spent a week in Thermopolis one day while waiting out a
blizzard; they never closed Hwy 20, but my Freightliner
was plowing 3' of snow when I pulled over in the center
of town.

I used to load Bentonite up in Greybull, then run down
Hwy 20 to 26. Always LMAO when I went over "South Park
Pass"..all I could think of was little round-ball looking
cartoon kids swearing..:laughing7:

BTW, it only snows one time per year in Wyoming;
the snow just gets blown around the state for the
rest of the winter...:occasion14:
I know what your saying. The Wyoming winter roads are nothing more then a b1tch. I've been in a I-80 shut down once at Wamsutter and the other at Rawlings. I got a place to stay at least in Rawlings. At Wamsutter it was hours at a truck stop. That waving low to the road dust of snow for hours of driving on 80 starts to hypnotize me and I do slap my own face to break free of that effect. Going west to Nevada the last few years I take Colorado I-70 to Hwy 13 at Rifle and connect to Hwy 40 at Dinosaur and jump on Utah 80 just east of Parley's summit. That's a way better way to go. None of that blowing snow on that route and the weather is actually very nice at times in the winter. Only time it's not so good is when a storm hits Vail pass with all the Friday night ski traffic and they shut the pass down both ways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread