Metal Detecting
7_26_2014 first harvest sweet corn.jpg

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I usually put in a big garden but this year we had to spend most of our spare time getting his boat fixe up. Boat is ready now and we have already taken a few trips on the ocean but I sure miss the garden. NEXT YEAR!! :)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked some up yesterday from a vendor's old pickup truck in a small town in S Wisconsin. The best sweetcorn Wisconsin has to offer (best in the world) is now officially in season!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah bum, we used to just drive a country road in WI until we found kids selling just-picked sweetcorn from their front yards. Great stuff!! We would soak the ears for a few hours and then put them on the grill, husks and all. Would also put a tall coffee can full of butter on the grill. When the corn was done you just peeled back the husks and dipped the ears in the butter. Husks made great handles. Yummy!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love fresh picked sweet corn. I grew up in Iowa and we'd just take a run to the closest road side vendor and pick some up for dinner. Sure is delicious. I now pick it up fresh when I'm over on the western side of Colorado for our states best sweet corn form the town of Olathe, Colorado this time of the year. It's pretty good from that part of the state. They do ship it over here on the front range and sell it in the stores also, but you need to get it quick as it flies of the counter when it's in. I grew some couple years back here in my yard and it wasn't all that tasty.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah bum, we used to just drive a country road in WI until we found kids selling just-picked sweetcorn from their front yards. Great stuff!! We would soak the ears for a few hours and then put them on the grill, husks and all. Would also put a tall coffee can full of butter on the grill. When the corn was done you just peeled back the husks and dipped the ears in the butter. Husks made great handles. Yummy!

Ah PB - the good ole days!

The new variety of Candy Corn is awesome, and savvy farmers have it; the seed costs more and not all growers are willing to pay. Around here, it's either the kid in the pickup truck, or an old guy in one in a different area; and they're worth looking for. I do enough to freeze some for the winter so in February we have sweet corn to cheer us up when all is frozen.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, another good way to cook it is in the microwave. You can still soak it in water for a few hours before. Leave it in the husks and microwave it for about 4 minutes. You can then remove it and peel down the husks and apply butter OR take a knife and cut the bottom of the ear off. Cut high enough on the ear so that you are cutting into the bottom row of corn or so. You can then grasp the husk and "pop" the ear out leaving all of the silks with the husk. Careful....cob will be hot.

OP
OP
CoinandRelicMan

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the replies seems theres a lots of love out there for that "Yummy Stuff" !! We love it also he-he !!!

Believe it or not, another good way to cook it is in the microwave. You can still soak it in water for a few hours before. Leave it in the husks and microwave it for about 4 minutes. You can then remove it and peel down the husks and apply butter OR take a knife and cut the bottom of the ear off. Cut high enough on the ear so that you are cutting into the bottom row of corn or so. You can then grasp the husk and "pop" the ear out leaving all of the silks with the husk. Careful....cob will be hot.

Yeah hot stuff there, just started doing it that way this year, getting lazy on the stripping it all off before microwaving it now lol !

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup, you're a cheesehead alright! That's how it's done.

S

stefen

We used to take our 4H kids to Huntington Beach (SoCal) and put a new galvanized trash barrel full of sea water on a fire ring...
when it came to a boil we'd put fresh corn, husk and all...only needs a few minutes to cook...

Can't beat the taste...sea salt brined and cooked corn...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love fresh picked sweet corn. I grew up in Iowa and we'd just take a run to the closest road side vendor and pick some up for dinner. Sure is delicious. I now pick it up fresh when I'm over on the western side of Colorado for our states best sweet corn form the town of Olathe, Colorado this time of the year. It's pretty good from that part of the state. They do ship it over here on the front range and sell it in the stores also, but you need to get it quick as it flies of the counter when it's in. I grew some couple years back here in my yard and it wasn't all that tasty.
Yes! Olathe corn makes its way here! on the coast! I'm waiting!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We creamed ours 3 weeks ago! Our season is over down here. We did approx 200 ears of silver queen and 100 ears of field corn (filler) yielding 6 gallons of liquid gold! Now I'm moving 700 miles away and have to figure out how to keep frozen for 12hrs.

Attachments

• image-597336536.jpg
    image-597336536.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image-189110085.jpg
    image-189110085.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 67

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S

stefen

We creamed ours 3 weeks ago! Our season is over down here. We did approx 200 ears of silver queen and 100 ears of field corn (filler) yielding 6 gallons of liquid gold! Now I'm moving 700 miles away and have to figure out how to keep frozen for 12hrs.

Place in freezer bags and use slabs of dry ice...layers always works for us...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
field corn? ???
That's all I've ever known it to be called. It's the corn that usually is left in the field until it's dried out and harvested with a combine for animal feed, but if harvested by hand earlier while it's still green it makes the sweet cream corn go a lot further since the field corn is much larger. By itself the field corn taste like sawdust compared to the silver queen when eaten on the cob!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's all I've ever known it to be called. It's the corn that usually is left in the field until it's dried out and harvested with a combine for animal feed, but if harvested by hand earlier while it's still green it makes the sweet cream corn go a lot further since the field corn is much larger. By itself the field corn taste like sawdust compared to the silver queen when eaten on the cob!

Wow, folks around here act like it's poison, and no one eats it.

I've done it though, even dried on the cob, and it's nutricious if not as tasty as sweet corn. When you don't have a packed lunch, are miles from any C store, and don't want to quit working, it works. We eat grits, which is dried corn with the shell removed. It's starch, which the body can convert to sugar for energy.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting