JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody know what these things are? I came upon them while detecting a pond.

0729141620a (482x640).jpg 0729141620 - Copy - Copy (640x459).jpg

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee that's very weird & interesting....what is it that they're doing if they are Cypress? :icon_scratch:

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Always heard they were called cypress knees , but heard that as a child and never asked why lol!

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Looks like you came upon a gathering of wee forest people having a day at the lake. One nearest looks a lot like a turkey hen. Probably just cypress knees....lol

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I actually have one that my grandfather had. Its a cool piece.

sponge using smoke signals.

OP
OP
JunkShopFiddler

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm told that we are to far north for cypress trees here, but could be wrong, I've been hiking this area for a long time and have never seen these before.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey JSF!! Cypress Knees!! PLENTY of them down here in Louisiana!! I have their twins in my back yard!! He He!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they look a lot like cypress knees. Saw a lot of them in SE Oklahoma. But if you don't have any cypress trees around, I wouldn't be sure.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, not being a smart*** but, the first 3 sentences of the link that Ronwoodcraft provided...

"A cypress knee is a term used in the biology of trees to describe the distinctive structures forming above the roots of a cypress tree of any of various species of the subfamily Taxodioideae. Their function is unknown, but they are generally seen on trees growing in swamps. Some scientists have thought they may help in oxygenation to the tree's roots or assist in anchoring the tree in the soft, muddy soil."

clicking took less time than typing out the question (I tried it) LOL.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what part of Indiana you are in but the southern part of the state used to have tens of thousands of acres of Bald Cypress trees. There are a few theories about the knees, one being that they help oxygenate the trees roots but the most likely explanation is that they helped anchor the tree in the swampy land that they grew in.

cypress trees

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread