tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this yesterday on the road from Copper Mountain going to Leadville. This kind of sky in the high country is not to be taken lightly. The change in temperature is very rapid and dangerous. This is what will claim the lives of those who venture off unprepared as they will be stricken with the effects of hypothermia or get hit by a bolt of lighting. When I left Leadville it was pouring rain with hellish lighting all around. Always be prepared when in the high country anytime of the year. Hope you stayed dry out there RGINN, as I do know you ain't no fool.

Attachments

• coper to leadville.jpg
    coper to leadville.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 85

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this yesterday on the road from Copper Mountain going to Leadville. This kind of sky in the high country is not to be taken lightly. The change in temperature is very rapid and dangerous. This is what will claim the lives of those who venture off unprepared as they will be stricken with the effects of hypothermia or get hit by a bolt of lighting. When I left Leadville it was pouring rain with hellish lighting all around. Always be prepared when in the high country anytime of the year. Hope you stayed dry out there RGINN, as I do know you ain't no fool.

Howdy tamrock, and Happy Birthday Amigo!:occasion18::occasion15::occasion16:

Yeah that lightning is no joking matter, I have been tickled once. It was not a direct hit, we were loading some pipe on a flatbed at the company yard when it started to rain. It was a light rain, and we all got under the flatbed since the building was too far away. Three of us were either squatting, or kneeling down, and holding on to the frame. Bad idea, a bolt hit the company radio tower putting it out, and got us too. I was actually resting my arm on the frame, and saw a flash of light where I got shocked.

Don't worry about RGINN, no he is not waterproof, but he is very woods savvy.

Homar:o

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You aren't a joking about those mountain storms, they can be pretty vicious. Especially with the lightening going on all around.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias Señor,

It is My birthday... My mother soon to be 90 here called me last Saturday and said "Happy Birthday" after I said hello. I told her thanks! Mom, but my birthdays next Saturday. She told me, that's not what her calender says, so I had to convince her, that she running ahead of schedule. She was sure it was my calender that was wrong. I finally did convince her it's her calender and not mine that's wrong. Then she got worried I was thinking she was off her rocker. I then had to convince her on that issue I didn't think she was off her rocker. I just love my Mother and for her age, she's doing pretty darn good.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the picture, We Sure Miss Colorado Springs! Chug and Red The picture is Now My background Picture Chug

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah buddy, monsoon season is here in the high country so you can expect rain every afternoon. Hard to believe, but we can have temp drops of 50 degrees in 12 hours, so hypothermia is a real threat up here even in what passes for summer. And lightning is an indiscriminate killer. Some advice for visitors who want to get out on the trails and explore. If you're climbing the mountains, consider startin at 3 or 4 in the morning so you can be back down below treeline by afternoon. That dressin in layers deal can be a lifesaver, too. Shorts and t-shirts are ok for the beach, but not a good idea up here. If you intend to climb a 14'er, do a little research beforehand. Mt. Quandary, considered an 'easy' 14'er to summit, is also the scene of quite a few rescues every year. When they say 'easy', they mean easy as compared to walkin up say, Mt. Everest. And even I make mistakes. Got caught at about11,500 one time and a cloud came up. It probably would have been a spectacular light show to sit and watch but believe me I got down in half the time it took to get up. Cliffed out once, and had to jump over into a pine tree to get down. And all things considered, most visitors manage to stay safe and have a great time.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been kinda hit and miss on the forum these last few days. Sorry I missed your birthday Tamrock; but Happy belated Birthday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread