tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! 6 feet long. I'd a try to catch it. Keep it a bit show it around and then let it go out in some pond far away from anyone.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa....:o...that's a BIG scary snake! Not familiar with them but guess they're one to stay away from? Looks like one of those rubber Disneyland ones, but for real.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ocean7!! That's no snake!! Down here in Louisiana that's LUNCH!! He He!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those things can get real temperamental.:laughing7:

Never see one that big!

GOD Bless

Chris

"The Northern Water Snake is not a snake that will actively seek a confrontation with other animals and people, but it is worth noting that they will defend themselves if threatened or picked up. They can deliver a nasty bite that would require medical attention in this instance, and are likely to bite repeatedly unless they are released."

This snake sat in grass just off the cement deck for about one hour. Then moved on to the deck, and stuck the upper third of it's body down a hole alongside the cement deck used by small rodents. He was compromised in that position but I left him alone. They hunt rats, mice, and moles. Only saw him once and never again. We do have a fenced in pond just off the property - he probably lives there.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
"The Northern Water Snake is not a snake that will actively seek a confrontation with other animals and people, but it is worth noting that they will defend themselves if threatened or picked up. They can deliver a nasty bite that would require medical attention in this instance, and are likely to bite repeatedly unless they are released."

This snake sat in grass just off the cement deck for about one hour. Then moved on to the deck, and stuck the upper third of it's body down a hole alongside the cement deck used by small rodents. He was compromised in that position but I left him alone. They hunt rats, mice, and moles. Only saw him once and never again. We do have a fenced in pond just off the property - he probably lives there.

I have a video I took in 97 of one headed to shore with a bullhead in it's mouth,got him swallowing it too.

That tape is around somewhere,some day I'll run across it.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very happy you did not kill it,he will take care of the rodents for ya.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very happy you did not kill it,he will take care of the rodents for ya.

no I take the Native Am. approach, you don't kill anything unless you have to, and you're right he will take care of any rodents etc. :)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wonderin about its temperament. Diamond back water snakes in Oklahoma are very territorial and aggressive about defending that territory. Maybe they're just more curious and alert to what comes into their area. I have seen them swim across a pond and come right up and check me out when I've been fishing. Some places you have to put fish in a basket instead of a stringer cause they will empty your stringer. They don't hunt you down and try to bite you, but they are nasty to deal with if you have to catch one. Very strong rascals. I had to remove one from a boat one time and misjudged where I grabbed him. He struck my hand and raked back, then locked down like a bulldog. And crapping all over me at the same time. Was able to pry him loose and take him off to a more primitive area of the lake, where he could be king of all he surveyed.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big snake, Ocean 7. Good picture. I assume they are not poisonous, but have teeth to inflict a serious bite?

On graduation day (high school), in 1960, a friend and I spent part of the afternoon swimming in a farm tank on his family's farm/ranch. We saw some snakes on the other side of the tank, but weren't worried about them. Several times, one would swim toward us. We would splash water toward it until it turned around and headed back to the other side of the (small) tank. I saw the friend several days after graduation. He told me that after the family got home from the ceremony, he mentioned the snakes to his dad. They went to the tank the next day and killed (I don't remember the exact number) either 17, 19, or 21 cottonmouth moccasins. We were lucky! Probably because it was rather cool that day; in fact, after we got out of the water, our fingernails were almost purple from the cold. A norther blew in about an hour before we got out of the water. The snakes were probably a little less 'frisky' than they would have been on a hot Texas day.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big snake, Ocean 7. Good picture. I assume they are not poisonous, but have teeth to inflict a serious bite?

On graduation day (high school), in 1960, a friend and I spent part of the afternoon swimming in a farm tank on his family's farm/ranch. We saw some snakes on the other side of the tank, but weren't worried about them. Several times, one would swim toward us. We would splash water toward it until it turned around and headed back to the other side of the (small) tank. I saw the friend several days after graduation. He told me that after the family got home from the ceremony, he mentioned the snakes to his dad. They went to the tank the next day and killed (I don't remember the exact number) either 17, 19, or 21 cottonmouth moccasins. We were lucky! Probably because it was rather cool that day; in fact, after we got out of the water, our fingernails were almost purple from the cold. A norther blew in about an hour before we got out of the water. The snakes were probably a little less 'frisky' than they would have been on a hot Texas day.

no, they are not poisonous but have a wicked set of teeth. I know TX has a real problem with rattlers etc and that they have snake roundups to keep the populations down. I would not knowingly go swimming with cottonmouths. You are lucky!

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wonderin about its temperament. Diamond back water snakes in Oklahoma are very territorial and aggressive about defending that territory. Maybe they're just more curious and alert to what comes into their area. I have seen them swim across a pond and come right up and check me out when I've been fishing. Some places you have to put fish in a basket instead of a stringer cause they will empty your stringer. They don't hunt you down and try to bite you, but they are nasty to deal with if you have to catch one. Very strong rascals. I had to remove one from a boat one time and misjudged where I grabbed him. He struck my hand and raked back, then locked down like a bulldog. And crapping all over me at the same time. Was able to pry him loose and take him off to a more primitive area of the lake, where he could be king of all he surveyed.

RGINN you must be part Indian or Billy Jack! Amazing! and good for you. :)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
billy jack?? man you must be old

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
probably me too

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my mom took me too see billy jack at the drive in,1971 was the year,he was from the movie the born losers that came out in 1967.she also took me to see a movie about kids swimming in one of those farm tanks,them things are kinda scary.there is a time when you need too dispatch bad snakes though not sure i would have done what riggin did.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although I spent almost 65 years in Texas, I never saw a live rattler in the 'wild'. I saw a lot that had been killed and a lot in cages. I've seen copperheads, moccasins, cottonmouths, all sorts of 'grass' and 'mouse/rat' snakes. Also saw one that was assumed to be a coral snake; but turned out to be ?? the other one that's not poisonous. As for dead rattlers, a friend of mine back in 1960 came home from a ranch he worked on. In the trunk of his car was a huge rattler that he had killed at the ranch. We took it behind his house to a workbench. When we cut it open, there was an almost full grown cottontail rabbit inside it. It had swallowed the rabbit whole.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small one from El Dorado Hills water treatment plant--- yes they let it go! snattlerake.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread