Need an ID on a BUG...& some more bugs...

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this pretty little red beetle out back, it's about twice the size of a ladybug, but looks like one. I tried researching it but can't find anything...anyone have any ideas what it is. :icon_scratch:

RSCN4170.JPG RSCN4173.JPG RSCN4172.JPG thanks!

This is a giant water bug, don't want to step on or pick up...he pinches!

FSCN4541.JPG ........and Tent Caterpillars FSCN4540.JPG

A Milkweed bug and....forgot...my "Super Moon" night shot....:laughing7:....to cloudy.

RSCN5928.JPG FSCN5750.JPG

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee, never saw a bug like that! Beautiful shade of red.

I remember the tent caterpillars when I lived in Texas. Some years, if you didn't really stay after them, they'd kill a tree. Their webbing is so thick that it's hard to get spray into them to kill them. If they were on a small limb, sometime I would just cut the limb off.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for your orange/red beetle, the best I could come up with is ''Orange Beetle'' (Kat a beetleious), also distantly related to ---

images.jpg :laughing7:

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texasred....I've never seen one like this before either, this is the only one I've seen, so was wondering what it was.:dontknow: Those "tent caterpillars" sound pretty destructive, I found a starting on a mulberry tree in the back yard & did cut the limb off, thanks for the warning.

old digger...:laughing7:...thanks for that, it does look like that VW bug...and that's what it will be if I can't find out otherwise. :thumbsup:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kat, I may have made it sound a little worse than it actually is/can be. I haven't known the tent caterpillars to kill an entire tree, but have seen a lot of limbs die because of them. Also they strip leaves from the trees, if I remember correctly, to line some of their nests and also eat them. All in all, they can be quite destructive.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyrffytr1....:hello2: thank you, looks like you got it! I've never heard of them before, will have to read about them now...even though I've only seen one here....thanks again!

texasred....they do make the poor trees look pretty sad. Know that they (bugs/moths) also have to survive...just not on my trees...:laughing7: They turn into little moths, right?

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I so enjoy how you see the things around you... Interesting insects and in their own way they're all are so fascinating.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ladybug might be a japanese ladybug. They were imported to eat aphids. They bite and it hurts. We had a LOT of them in KS a few years ago, climbing all over the house. The tent caterpillars might be the walnut caterpillar. I've heard they can kill a tree. I couldn't tell from the pic if that was a walnut tree

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tamrock.....gee thanks, you're very kind. I do enjoy the "small" things in life.;)

Rob....thank you for your help.....I looked up the Japanese Ladybug but they all have "black" on their heads. And....I'm sad to say I took another look at other pictures of the "lily beetle" that fyrffytr1 (so kindly suggested).....and while the site fyrffytr1 posted had pictures that look just like my beetle...all the other sites show a red oblong beetle with a "black" head. So....I'm still kind of wondering about mine...??? I'll post a picture of what they say a lily beetle looks like.....

images.jpg ....don't know if mine is still one? Think I should add that we don't have "lily's" here either, if that

makes a difference?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tamrock.....gee thanks, you're very kind. I do enjoy the "small" things in life.;)

Rob....thank you for your help.....I looked up the Japanese Ladybug but they all have "black" on their heads. And....I'm sad to say I took another look at other pictures of the "lily beetle" that fyrffytr1 (so kindly suggested).....and while the site fyrffytr1 posted had pictures that look just like my beetle...all the other sites show a red oblong beetle with a "black" head. So....I'm still kind of wondering about mine...??? I'll post a picture of what they say a lily beetle looks like.....

View attachment 1040765 ....don't know if mine is still one? Think I should add that we don't have "lily's" here either, if that

makes a difference?
I noticed the same thing when I did a search for this critter. Maybe there are different varieties of it? I couldn't even find it on this site: http://insectidentification.org/
You may want to contact these folks, maybe they can help ID it. http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet your birds really love all those colorful bugs. They probably fly in from everywhere for that treat...

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyrffytr1...Yes, was thinking it might be some kind of sub species of the one you posted, maybe? Thank you for the help again.:)

Austin...the birds do love the bugs, sometimes the "colorful" one don't taste to good though...kind of funny to see a bird find that out and then avoid those bug.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions