The Hustle & Bustle of the Rocky Mountain front range.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Worldtalker, you were talking on CB? I know a little, but not much about them. I used to go to a little convenience store, about a block from where I lived and listen in on the store owner talk on a Browning Eagle with a 500 watt amp. He had a rotator on his antenna that was mounted on a 50' tower. As soon as he closed, he would turn the set on and let it warm up while he checked the register receipts, money, etc. Then he would get on and try to raise 'The Judge', who I believe was in Philly. This was back in the early 70s.

I remember sitting in the car one night about 10 p.m. with the old 'White-faced' Johnson. I had it beefed up to about 7 and half watts output. I heard someone talking quite plainly. I broke in and found out he was in San Antonio; I was in Hillsboro, just over 200 miles. I also once talked to a man in Kansas for about 30 minutes before the 'skip' faded.

I know 'skip' can come an go for very long distances, but that's as far as I've ever been able to talk. 'Course, a lot of my CB buddies stayed up until the 'wee' hours and managed to talk a lot farther. But I had never heard of talking as far as you mentioned, Worldtalker. No, no, I'm not doubting what you're saying. It's just that I've not heard of talking 'skip' that far before. Yes, you should be called/named 'Worldtalker'!!!

I was "into it"quite heavy,I talked above the normal 40 channels I ran SSB with 100 watts,using the beam antenna I had 500 watts Effective Radiated Power.

Check out freeband 11 meters.

200 miles you say,probably backscatter.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, as I said, I'm not very knowledgeable of CB. The most interest I had was when I found out about upping the wattage on the old white faced Johnson I had. You could replace the rectifier tube with a certain diode rectifier and 'jumper' a certain spot with what we called a 'sugar cube' resistor. I would jump you from the legal 3.5 watts to about 7.5. Of course, as I mentioned, the white faced didn't have much in the way of 'ears'. I could talk a lot farther than I could hear.

I'll try to check out that freeband 11 meter! Sounds interesting. I've heard of SSB, but never knew anybody who did anything except talk about them.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, as I said, I'm not very knowledgeable of CB. The most interest I had was when I found out about upping the wattage on the old white faced Johnson I had. You could replace the rectifier tube with a certain diode rectifier and 'jumper' a certain spot with what we called a 'sugar cube' resistor. I would jump you from the legal 3.5 watts to about 7.5. Of course, as I mentioned, the white faced didn't have much in the way of 'ears'. I could talk a lot farther than I could hear.

I'll try to check out that freeband 11 meter! Sounds interesting. I've heard of SSB, but never knew anybody who did anything except talk about them.

It's sooooo much nicer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread