The Hustle & Bustle of the Rocky Mountain front range.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday was all GO, GO, GO.... Had to run clear out to west of Denver and pick up some vitally needed tools to drive long rock bolt anchors in the side of a mountain and then rush to the south end of downtown Denver for some rock drill bits to drill the holes in that mountain. You think me and all the others on the road were doing 55 at that sign on freeway of the first pic, "hell no" we all do what we can at 75 & 80 mph, who's going to stop us? " well!, "as long as no one screws up and crashes, we can do 75 & 80 mph"... I then head for the hills and at 1:00pm on a Friday afternoon and the mass exodus out of Denver is well underway. (Here they all come RGINN). Last pic is a giant collapsible rail mount concrete form getting ready to be shoved in to the tunnel to make it wider, so more folks can fill up interstate 70 to get to those beautiful Rocky Mountains. I look back to the times I've gone up & down this highway and recall the times the two tunnels at the dived known as the Eisenhower, were still unfinished at the eastbound side called the Johnson tunnel. Vail pass wasn't completed, and now to small to handle all the vehicles it has, and the Glenwood canyon was completed, start to finish and it's now getting undersized for the volume of traffic going through it. Now from Denver to the divide were looking at what it will take to make it a three and four lane road. How much more can be done I wonder? I've herd it said, "success is a road never finished". I wonder if being a success is all really worth the headache :BangHead:

Attachments

• front range.jpg
    front range.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 93
  • front range 2.jpg
    front range 2.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 84
  • front range 3.jpg
    front range 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my son was just in Salida. He kayaked a tributary called Pine Creek that ran into the Arkansas and then ran the famed section of The Arkansas called " the numbers "

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rush! Rush! Seems like everyone is in a rush to get somewhere!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rush! Rush! Seems like everyone is in a rush to get somewhere!
That's how it is here. I went to Colorado Springs today after my daughter and it's rush rush all the way down and back. That's why I like the open road far and away from all this. I can kick back and drive a little slower.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I was in that madness Friday. I started the morning at Gypsum, CO and delivered in Henderson. Then went to south Denver and picked up a load for MN. finally got out of there in the afternoon onto I-76 to hit a wind storm for about 50 miles.

We probably passed each other somewhere.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in that madness Friday. I started the morning at Gypsum, CO and delivered in Henderson. Then went to south Denver and picked up a load for MN. finally got out of there in the afternoon onto I-76 to hit a wind storm for about 50 miles.

We probably passed each other somewhere.
No doubt we probably did pass each other. I take I76 to visit mom in Iowa. Sure is quiet out there. The weather can be pretty awesome at times out that way.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like the heavy traffic anymore; actually never did. I travelled from Waco, Texas, to Dallas once or twice a week from about 1979 to 1985. I hit the morning rush hour traffic and fought it all the way to the northeast side of Dallas. I began leaving about 3:30 a.m., stopping at the Howard Johnson restaurant in Red Oak, for breakfast, and then getting to my destination before the rush began. Sure made a difference! But the boss decided it was better to wait 'til later to go.

In September, 2007, my son and I left Idaho, heading back to Texas. We managed to hit Denver during the evening rush. I had intended to turn onto a different road before we reached the loop around Denver, but missed the turn. It was just move up about 30', wait, move up again, etc. Don't plan on doing that again!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always think of that Creedence song 'Commotion', tamrock. We finally saw a slight drop in business this last week, but not much. After Labor Day we should get a breather til November at least. They really need to get some kind of mass transit system from Denver to Summit County in place for the tourist traffic.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys use a CB??
In the 80s & 90s I had a radio. I had many miles of good conversation with drivers and other folks on the road. I think our new smart phones, mp3 players and other devices has made us for the most part less engaged with each others these days :dontknow: No one wanted to talk anymore, so I took mine out. I sure miss all that chatter of those days. It was all so fun back then.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 80s & 90s I had a radio. I had many miles of good conversation with drivers and other folks on the road. I think our new smart phones, mp3 players and other devices has made us for the most part less engaged with each others these days :dontknow: No one wanted to talk anymore, so I took mine out. I sure miss all that chatter of those days. It was all so fun back then.

It still is talking skip.........that's where "worldtalker"came from:laughing7:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always think of that Creedence song 'Commotion', tamrock. We finally saw a slight drop in business this last week, but not much. After Labor Day we should get a breather til November at least. They really need to get some kind of mass transit system from Denver to Summit County in place for the tourist traffic.
Some time ago they setup a website so folks could express their ideas on how we should resolve the I-70 problem. I can't find it now, but a light rail to Vail would be awesome I think. From here to you will in my opinion will be an on going issue for years to come. I'ts just not slowing down here on the front range and the more that show up the more that want to own a piece of what you'all have up there. We didn't think that way in the 70's. We just thought it was a cool place to be and visit. If you did want a piece of property it just be a small cabin in the woods. Your not going to ever stop the increases in the amount of the carnal minded individuals who just want bigger, better and more of the natural paradise of this world to have it all for themselves to look at it and say "My I've Done Well" and I believe everyone else will surly think the same and want what I have. Greed, Arrogance & Pride is what my Ol' Granddad would call it.

Commotion, Good one to open up and hammer down on in all this pandemonium I'm forced to confront with on some days.:headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the heavy traffic anymore; actually never did. I travelled from Waco, Texas, to Dallas once or twice a week from about 1979 to 1985. I hit the morning rush hour traffic and fought it all the way to the northeast side of Dallas. I began leaving about 3:30 a.m., stopping at the Howard Johnson restaurant in Red Oak, for breakfast, and then getting to my destination before the rush began. Sure made a difference! But the boss decided it was better to wait 'til later to go.

In September, 2007, my son and I left Idaho, heading back to Texas. We managed to hit Denver during the evening rush. I had intended to turn onto a different road before we reached the loop around Denver, but missed the turn. It was just move up about 30', wait, move up again, etc. Don't plan on doing that again!
Diving in DFW scares the hell out of me, to many vehicles and bullets to duck and look out for. Glad I no longer have that as a territory. I do so like the Texas countryside though. Sometimes these freeways here in Denver are clipping along like the Indy 500, until they throw out the caution flag and with in less then a minute it's all bumper to bumper and bumper in to bumpers.

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to enjoy CB radio. Got into it in about 1971 with an old 'white-face' Johnson. Five channels, some called 'em 'catfish, all mouth and no ears'. Back then the FCC regulated it. A friend and I were talking one morning; I was driving to the store, he was on his way into town. When I got to the store, I signed off. I used my call letters when I signed off, but he forgot to use his. A few days later he got a letter from the FCC warning him that he must always use those call letters. As the years went by, it just 'snowballed' into an unmanageable, chaotic, mess. The language got so filthy that I wouldn't turn it on when the wife and kids were with me.

Worldtalker said that talking skip was where his name came from. I used 'Texasred' for my CB handle, then had to add the 777 when I started email on the internet. I've still got a little CB that was in the old motor home. I've driven from Texas to Idaho, from Idaho to Texas, and back again and don't remember using it any during all those miles. I took it out because I thought I was selling the motor home; don't know why really. Now I still have both and use neither!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still is talking skip.........that's where "worldtalker"came from:laughing7:
I've never had a big enough radio for skip talking. I'd hear it all at times. Those dudes sure know how to jabber when it all goes down. Sometimes I'd here folks in Mexico and Fishing boats out in the Gulf of Mexico. That's cool your the "worldtalker" I may have herd you out there on those nights going town over the radio waves. Good to know ya! My call sign was Razorback in the day ther' texasred. It was because the company I worked for always gave me a vehicle with Arkansas Plates. I got pulled over more then a few times to be inspected and interrogated coming out of El Paso in those cars. I think they thought I was always going the wrong way to Arkansas. They'd ask the same questions two and three times and ask if it be fine to check over the car. I'd always say have at it. I always wondered what if some cartel stuffed some drugs under my car because they knew my travel habits and where I lived. That be hard to explain, wouldn't it??. Those suckers always treated me like I was hiding something.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never had a big enough radio for skip talking. I'd hear it all at times. Those dudes sure know how to jabber when it all goes down. Sometimes I'd here folks in Mexico and Fishing boats out in the Gulf of Mexico. That's cool your the "worldtalker" I may have herd you out there on those nights going town over the radio waves. Good to know ya! My call sign was Razorback in the day ther' texasred. It was because the company I worked for always gave me a vehicle with Arkansas Plates. I got pulled over more then a few times to be inspected and interrogated coming out of El Paso in those cars. I think they thought I was always going the wrong way to Arkansas. They'd ask the same questions two and three times and ask if it be fine to check over the car. I'd always say have at it. I always wondered what if some cartel stuffed some drugs under my car because they knew my travel habits and where I lived. That be hard to explain, wouldn't it??. Those suckers always treated me like I was hiding something.

I started in 2001,I lived on(upper)Cosby Tennessee the boundary was the Great Smoky Mountains as my front yard.I went by 229(F100-PW-229 engine)I was a Machine Repair Tech. for 27 years,I used to love going down to the test cells and

watch them them suckers run they took them through the full range,when they kicked in the after burner that blue flame went to a pin point....awesome,anyway went by 2-TN-229 shooting skip had a 4 element yagi on the flat side a home brew

with a 3" boom never had no rotator a rope on each end,I logged over 80 countries,I really enjoyed talking to other operators exchanging the way we live,I talked to a fella in Australia on and off for two months some times for 2 hours straight

an unusual place was Christmas Island India Ocean to a guy named Utua. I did talk to a driver out your way every day for a week.
Sure wish I had that Beam now,but,since I started MDin the rig sets there gathering dust.

I'll always be a Free Bander.............no licence required:laughing7:

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worldtalker, you were talking on CB? I know a little, but not much about them. I used to go to a little convenience store, about a block from where I lived and listen in on the store owner talk on a Browning Eagle with a 500 watt amp. He had a rotator on his antenna that was mounted on a 50' tower. As soon as he closed, he would turn the set on and let it warm up while he checked the register receipts, money, etc. Then he would get on and try to raise 'The Judge', who I believe was in Philly. This was back in the early 70s.

I remember sitting in the car one night about 10 p.m. with the old 'White-faced' Johnson. I had it beefed up to about 7 and half watts output. I heard someone talking quite plainly. I broke in and found out he was in San Antonio; I was in Hillsboro, just over 200 miles. I also once talked to a man in Kansas for about 30 minutes before the 'skip' faded.

I know 'skip' can come an go for very long distances, but that's as far as I've ever been able to talk. 'Course, a lot of my CB buddies stayed up until the 'wee' hours and managed to talk a lot farther. But I had never heard of talking as far as you mentioned, Worldtalker. No, no, I'm not doubting what you're saying. It's just that I've not heard of talking 'skip' that far before. Yes, you should be called/named 'Worldtalker'!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread