The American Queen

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Hello,
My wife and I saw the American Queen just north of Cape Girardeau, Mo. this summer while traveling on the great river road. We followed the Mississippi all the way to New Orleans from our home near Lacrosse, Wisconsin.

Thanks for looking,
Sidevalve45

IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a fun trip. My grandpa lived in Burlington, Iowa all his life along the Mississippi river. He only left Burlington for one year to go to France in 1918 during WWI. I always enjoyed going there and fishing in the moonlight in that river with my Grandpa. We've no lighting bugs, out here in Colorado :( I do remember that magic of those nights... I'm sure you saw allot of history along that route?

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the great pictures! I've never seen a river boat that large before. There was one on the Brazos River in Waco, Texas when I lived there, but I never got to board her. Again, thanks!

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
That sounds like a fun trip. My grandpa lived in Burlington, Iowa all his life along the Mississippi river. He only left Burlington for one year to go to France in 1918 during WWI. I always enjoyed going there and fishing in the moonlight in that river with my Grandpa. We've no lighting bugs, out here in Colorado :( I do remember that magic of those nights... I'm sure you saw allot of history along that route?

Thanks for your interest tamrock. Did your Grandpa have a shanty boat by chance? Speaking of bugs we had a large mayfly hatch in the Lacrosse area this year. In fact it was so large that it was picked up by weather radar and was observed where I live forty five miles away from there. It was on the national news. Your right about history too. I'll be posting more in the coming weeks.

Thanks again,
Sidevalve45

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your interest tamrock. Did your Grandpa have a shanty boat by chance? Speaking of bugs we had a large mayfly hatch in the Lacrosse area this year. In fact it was so large that it was picked up by weather radar and was observed where I live forty five miles away from there. It was on the national news. Your right about history too. I'll be posting more in the coming weeks.

Thanks again,
Sidevalve45
Grandpa never had a boat. We'd just fish from the bank. I had a good run in with some flying ants out in Wyoming last month. For miles they'd be out on the road. Had to stop 3 times in 50 miles, just to clean the window. I've not herd of this swarm of mayfly's. I go look that up. Bet the birds and fish sure enjoyed this phenomenon of bugs.

Last edited:

eze1417

Greenie
Jan 1, 2014
West Alexander
Detector(s) used
Legacy 3500 with Super-Scan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Queen moored in downtown Pittsburgh PA during the annual Three Rivers Regatta. I have pictures from the Mon Wharf where it was moored. Boat was roped off and security was really tight but was able to get some pictures of the interior lit up as well as some bow and stern shots with my dog swimming near it. Pretty vessel and is beautifully restored and maintained.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions