Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I camped last night the ground had been turned up by gophers and noticed quite a few flakes and chips. Some obsidian, quartzite material, and a jasper looking material, a sampling pictured here. Found part of a scraper and what I first thought was a channel flute, but appears to be a pre-form discarded for some defect in the stone. My theory is this was a base camp used by hunters. It's up above the south end of a long meadow that stretches to the north and has a good southern exposure for warmth. (Once a good campsite, always a good campsite) South Park is known for paleo activity, but I can't say if this is paleo or historic. The next find is a piece of cloth about 12 inches long trimmed with lace and adorned with a delicate chain. I really didn't think about what it might be but it caught my eye and I brought it home. Boy howdy Maria knew exactly what it was. I do not suppose I will be attempting to return this to its rightful owner, either.

Attachments

• 9-30b.jpg
    9-30b.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 9-30c.jpg
    9-30c.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 95

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you found a steampunk garter belt from one of those Bloom festival people :dontknow: Are you finding these artifacts in the gopher mounds? I've found a few good specimens around the Buffalo Peaks area over the years.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wherever the ground was disturbed or turned up there were lots of chips, flakes, shatter, etc. Colorado archaeology is still difficult for me to get a hold on, but I believe I pegged this site dead on as a temporary hunter base camp, where they sat around makin new points or just sharpenin up old ones, while they waited for somethin to show up in the meadow down below. I was disappointed that one piece was not a channel flute, which is the piece knocked out from a Clovis point, but after washin it off I can tell you it's Alibates flint, which comes from a quarry down there north of Amarillo. That second thing is not from the bloom festival as that was farther east and over and done with some time ago. Honestly, I never really had a clue at first about what that second thing was. Oh yeah after a little reminder from Maria who knew exactly what it was it came back to me. The bad thing was I brought it home. The even worse thing is when I got in Maria was in one of her house cleaning frenzies and I walked in trailing leaves, dirt, twigs, etc. Hey, I slept on the ground last night out in the woods. Holdin this in my hand, and askin 'Hey, what is this thing?' Well yeah she said it was a garter, and a lot of questions about where I was and such. The way more even worse thing is when I tried to argue and said 'Hey, that ain't what that is, there ain't no way that would fit around your leg.' There's a new restaurant here in town and we went and checked that out tonight.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wherever the ground was disturbed or turned up there were lots of chips, flakes, shatter, etc. Colorado archaeology is still difficult for me to get a hold on, but I believe I pegged this site dead on as a temporary hunter base camp, where they sat around makin new points or just sharpenin up old ones, while they waited for somethin to show up in the meadow down below. I was disappointed that one piece was not a channel flute, which is the piece knocked out from a Clovis point, but after washin it off I can tell you it's Alibates flint, which comes from a quarry down there north of Amarillo. That second thing is not from the bloom festival as that was farther east and over and done with some time ago. Honestly, I never really had a clue at first about what that second thing was. Oh yeah after a little reminder from Maria who knew exactly what it was it came back to me. The bad thing was I brought it home. The even worse thing is when I got in Maria was in one of her house cleaning frenzies and I walked in trailing leaves, dirt, twigs, etc. Hey, I slept on the ground last night out in the woods. Holdin this in my hand, and askin 'Hey, what is this thing?' Well yeah she said it was a garter, and a lot of questions about where I was and such. The way more even worse thing is when I tried to argue and said 'Hey, that ain't what that is, there ain't no way that would fit around your leg.' There's a new restaurant here in town and we went and checked that out tonight.
I know where that bloom fest was, cause I saw and drove up to the site that day out of curiously. I was thinking a group of those all dressed up in strange costumes bloomer folks maybe camped at that spot you where at? It looks like the kind of stuff the women at that gathering were wearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right; I remember you checkin that out. Well if you lost this, I'll hang on to it for ya. haha! I'm gonna try to get back over to this spot next week as it deserves a little more investigation, and the weather is fixin to put an end to that. I'm not sure if this site has been documented, but South Park has some archaeology groups and if I can get a little more info, like extent of the site, artifacts and type of lithic material noted, I'll report it to one of them. I did a lot of field work like that in Oklahoma but this is Colorado and I haven't dealt with their archy's. They might throw me in jail for takin pics of artifacts plus takin pics in a national forest!

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the chuckle RGINN....garter belt...;) When I first saw that picture I thought it was one of those car window shade things.lol Wow, you found some nice flakes to! I have a question for you, saw what you posted on the Quanah Parker picture with "Flicker feathers"...which picture is that? His mother Cynthia Ann's uncle Rev. Daniel Parker is my great (how many greats?) grandfather so was interested to know.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you found a good spot there Rginn. No tell what could be found in that area? You have got some good evidence there. I always felt that the way Buffalo Peaks stands out alone it gave me the sense it would be considered a sacred mountain. I have for years felt it was inviting one to come and have a look around. I've climbed to the top of all 3 points and one time left a penny dated the year I was on top of the tallest point many moons ago "Guessing 1981-82" ??.... Also thanks a million for finding my garter. I was quite sad after it went missing. Just hang it up on the 130 miles of deer sign and I'll swing by and get it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pic where Quanah is standing in front of a teepee, holding eagle feathers in his right hand. I'll try to post a copy here.

Attachments

• 10-2qp.jpg
    10-2qp.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 83

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Thank you RGINN for the info and picture, I am familiar with it but wouldn't have known those were flicker feathers if not for you, interesting! I guess it means something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread