curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....you were warned....I stumbled on this the other day and debated posting. But it was interesting in a scientific way...this garter snake was the largest I've ever seen, about 4 feet or more and actually rather pretty. I was amazed when the snake lifted the frog up to get it over the tree root, looked kind of "cobra-ish". Took a lot of pic's but will only post a few...the pic's are in order.

FSCN9708.JPG FSCN9705.JPG FSCN9704.JPG

FSCN9702.JPG FSCN9695.JPG FSCN9692.JPG

FSCN9688.JPG FSCN9683.JPG FSCN9677.JPG

....it didn't really take very long for him to finish eating and he didn't seem to mind I was there. It looks awful but I've also seen a frog eating a snake...didn't get those pictures.

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent pictures of nature's survival.....

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a garter snake that big before.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great pics! I was over in Oregon on the John Day River 4 years ago. I saw a big frog dragging a 4' garter snake. The snake had it's teeth sunk in the large muscle of the frog's "thigh". I couldn't imagine why the snake was doing that, as the frog was huge, compared to the snake. The frog was bleeding, but not really bad. After seeing your pics, I'm wondering if maybe that snake COULD kill and eat that huge frog. When I stepped closer, the snake let go and took off.
Jim

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the late 1950s, a friend was working on his aunt's ranch in central Texas. He would come home to be with his family, dad, mom, and sisters, on weekends. One day he brought a rattlesnake that he had killed. It was huge. There was a large bulge in it's stomach. We slit the stomach. Inside was an almost grown jackrabbit.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey kat!! We've been eating Frogs down here in Louisiana for Years!! Guess the snakes finally caught on!! Hope your well!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I'm happy I wasn't born a frog.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cariboo5....I had to skip lunch though...:icon_silent:

DixieLandMan....I didn't know they got that big!?

ivan salis....yup :thumbsup:

Jim in Idaho....I wonder if the snake has some sort of poison or something that "liquefies" the frog? Maybe that's why the one you saw wouldn't let go???

Burnt Bear...thanks :headbang:

cazisme....:laughing7:

texasred...wow that sounds like it was a very big rattler...sounds like "old fence post"...my mom use to talk about him (Texas).

VERDE....yes, hear lots of folk eat'em & love'em. Don't know if I would, maybe if I was starving. :happysmiley:

tamrock....I hear ya! ;)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kat...last night I was thinking about that. Seems like many years ago I read an article that claimed garter snakes have a mild venom. I'm wondering if that venom, if true, eventually weakens the frog until the snake can get a strangle-hold on it and finish it off. I'll have to do some research on that.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's something from the 'Net regarding garter snake venom.

Venom

Garter snakes were long thought to be nonvenomous, but recent discoveries have revealed they do, in fact, produce a mild neurotoxic venom.[4] Garter snakes cannot kill humans with the small amounts of comparatively mild venom they produce, and they also lack an effective means of delivering it. They do have enlarged teeth in the back of their mouths, but their gums are significantly larger.[5][6] The Duvernoy's glands of garters are posterior (to the rear) of the snake's eyes.[7] The mild venom is spread into wounds through a chewing action.

Read more: garter snake: Definition from Answers.com
I'd bet that's why that snake I saw was hanging onto that big frog. Chewing the venom into the wound. Eventually, that frog would have become weakened, or maybe comatose. The venom is neurological....shuts down the muscles, or central nervous system (ie.: breathing).
Jim

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I thought! Then again, I think about a lot of things that I'm not sure if they really happened, lol.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: Thanks Jim for researching that, now we know what's going on between garter snakes & their "food". lol

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Snakes eat frogs
2. Frenchmen eat frogs
3. Frenchmen are snakes

For my dearly departed English friend Elspeth. She lived a great life and always called the French---those Froggy Bas(well, children born out of wedlock)

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:...Austin on the 1. 2. & 3. But so nice of you to do the remembrance for your friend. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread