Maple Syrup

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Hello,
I've been thinking about gearing up for the coming maple syrup season and I realized I didn't post anything about it last season or at least I don't think I did. Anyway I was looking for another hobby and thought tapping my maple trees might be fun. That and that time between winter and spring sucks anyway so I thought it would make the time go by quicker. We ended up making about 2 1/2 gallons of syrup our first season using a turkey fryer for a burner and also ran a Coleman cook stove. I burned five twenty pound LP tanks and two gallons of white gas......I'd have to sell it for $5.00 a tablespoon to come out even. :dontknow: Keeps me out of the bar I guess.

Thanks for looking
Sidevalve45

IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0614.JPG

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been wanting to make corn fritters and I always put syrup on them. Your syrup would be over the top. Great hobby you have there...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job!...I'm a maple sugar candy addict. Can you make that stuff also?

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Hello,
Last year was our first attempt at making syrup and I hadn't thought about making candy. I was too busy just
trying to keep from burning the stuff. Maybe after we've made a few more batches of syrup.

Sidevalve45

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would burn wood instead of using gas. The wood won't cost you anything except your time gathering.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Last year was our first attempt at making syrup and I hadn't thought about making candy. I was too busy just
trying to keep from burning the stuff. Maybe after we've made a few more batches of syrup.

Sidevalve45
I looked it up and it does look like you'd need some special equipment to be making the candy for sure. I guess if I wanted some maple candy I can just get it on line like everything else. Still it ain't cheap. A quick look at the prices plus postage on line tells me each piece of candy will cost me an average of around a $1.08 for each 9.4 gram piece of candy. If you buy by the pound your can get a piece of candy for around 95 cents each.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On pancakes, or the morning porridge...Hmmm.:thumbsup:

SS

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff man! Pardon my ignorance on the subject. But how long can Maple Syrup last being stored properly?

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
We used a canning process like you'd use on vegetables where you boil the jars, lids and rings then fill them with the hot syrup, put the lids on just snug and boil the filled jars for twenty minutes. After that you set them out to cool with a towel over them. If done properly the lids will have a convex or slightly sunken in appearance which means they are sealed under a vacuum. I think it could last for several years this way unless it got sugary.

Thanks for your interest,

Sidevalve45

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5.00 a tablespoon? can I smoke it ? :tongue3:

Like others I like it on Pancakes.

I grew up using Mrs. butterworths artificial Crap, but once I tasted the real sweet thing
Mrs. butterworths, tasted bitter & grose. stuff is expensive though.
I only buy it once a year now & have pancakes maybe 3 times a year

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5.00 a tablespoon? can I smoke it ? :tongue3:

Like others I like it on Pancakes.

I grew up using Mrs. butterworths artificial Crap, but once I tasted the real sweet thing
Mrs. butterworths, tasted bitter & grose. stuff is expensive though.
I only buy it once a year now & have pancakes maybe 3 times a year

Want to halves on a Cup? lol

Really Thou, thanks for sharing this. I'm glad I came across this post. I Might be able to find much Maple here in Texas, but this sparked something im going to be looking into further :occasion14:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brings back a lot of good memories, my Dad and I used to boil.

Started out with a flat pan over wood, then a small evaporater about 2 1/2' x 6' wood fired.

Natural gas is the way to go if you have your own well, wood can be nearly free. We used to burn oak wheel barrow handle cut offs for about $35/ single axle dump truck load. You would load that firebox up, she would roar for about 6 or 7 minutes, then load her up again, hour after hour.

One trick I remember, some times the sap will foam up and boil over your pan, just keep a some liquid coffee creamer handy, a couple drops into the foam, and she will settle right back down.

The first runs are always the best, as the season progresses the quality drops, and the syrup gets darker.

Maple Sugar candy is tricky, I love it, but the times I tried to make it, I would always end up with rock hard candy.

Good Luck.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whenever my wife and I head to north to her folks, we make it a priority to get local maple syrup..that and local raw honey too.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is the process for making it? Do you just boil the sap?

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Hello,
For starters I am no expert. But the idea is to use a pan with a lot of surface area and cook the sap down with a vigorous or rolling boil. The idea is to evaporate the water off quickly. Once the sap starts to thicken a bit you have to be very careful not to burn it....I've been lucky so far but I've heard that if it's burnt bad enough you may as well throw away the pan. Since I'm dealing with small quantities I transfer the almost syrup to a large sauce pan and continue cooking it down. At that point I start checking the syrups specific gravity with a hydrometer to get the viscosity just right. Some hydrometers are made just for making maple syrup. I believe you are basically measuring the sugar content with the device. The ratio is about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup but that can vary by the kind of maple trees you are tapping and can vary from year to year. A sugar maple may have 4% sugar content right out the tree where a silver maple may only have 1%. You can see why someone who is tapping a 1000 trees or more wants to boil as efficiently as possible. I find it an interesting hobby and I enjoy giving it to my friends as much as putting it on my own pancakes maybe more.

Thanks for looking
Sidevalve45

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for posting the process. 40 to 1 seems like a big ratio but the outcome is sweet. No pun intended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread