curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do....and I can never get any good shots of them. This is a youngish one I think, it was squawking & playing in the old cottonwood, had to zoom in for these iffy shots. Anyone get any good pictures & stories of them? I was "swooped" by one, seemed like it was teasing or playing with me.

FSCN1633.JPG FSCN1634.JPG FSCN1636.JPG

FSCN1637.JPG FSCN1639.JPG FSCN1640.JPG

FSCN1641.JPG ....smart birds & funny.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like um, with the exception of when they eat the baby birds out of the nest around here. The ba$tards.:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about that tamrock....something is always eating something else...:-\ I don't like that either.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics CK. Yep, Mother Nature 'in the Raw' can/will seem brutal at 'feeding time'...but they, we...all have to eat sometime. Those ravens and crows are some of the smartest birds I've seen yet! ;)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not bad, but I couldn't eat a full one.:laughing7:........Nice pictures.:thumbsup:

SS

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cultures consider them the embodiment of the trickster. I consider them an aggravation. There's a lot of them up here. If you go to the grocery store and leave the groceries in the back of the truck while you walk to another store, they will watch until you're gone then have their way with your groceries. They seem to prefer bagged cheese over anything else. See them here in town all the time, and I watch them, and they watch me. They really are very smart and cunning, but not as smart as me as they haven't yet figured out how to pull the trigger on that airsoft CO2 pistol I got. Doesn't hurt them, but gets their attention.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt they are smart birds, but as tamrock said they do prey on the local young bird population. Around here they will prey on a lot of the young magpies.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I love Ravens. At the Tower of London, they are watched over and allowed free rein. "If the ravens disappear, England will fall" or so the saying goes. They are considered lucky and I was lucky to have a Yeoman Warder pick up a small raven's feather and give it to me. He told me it would bring me luck. It has. I have loved them ever since...

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys....yes the Ravens do cause a lot of havoc and are very smart....kind of like people.;) I have noticed that birds, our sweet little "birdies", are pretty vicious killers no matter the size....but at least the smaller ones are getting things we don't really care for, like flies. Sorry about your groceries RGINN, but it does sound funny...really "Cheese"? Didn't know birds ate cheese!:dontknow: They do say that Ravens recognize faces and can pick out who's nice to them & not, even years later. And :laughing7: Silver Searcher. :)

Yes, Austin I've heard of those Raven in the UK :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dont care for the ravens since Reggie White left, Quote ''NEVERMORE''

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I heard a rapping, tapping at my chamber door...................

As I sat with sorrow, sorrow for lost dear lost Lenore....................

His song of melancoly burden bore..............................

His grin of evil bearing EVERMORE.........................

Lets quote the Raven NEVERMORE, NEVERMORE..........................................................................

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: BIGSCOTT.....and Edgar A. Poe is great! Funny you mentioned his "Raven" poem....I had a mynah bird & taught him to say "nevermore"...also "meow", the cats hated that one.;)

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Drove up the North Umpqua river today, and probably 20 miles up the road there were two ravens eating a rather flattened out skunk. The way it smelled when I drove by,
I'm kind of thinking those ravens have really bad breath.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your raven pictures are a lot better than mine. This guy was quite a way up the tree, and I used a telephoto lens. Not only is he not very large, the black feathers with the bright
background sure does away with any detail. I took these today.

Image27.jpg

Attachments

• Image26.jpg
    Image26.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea how that photo got that large, it's not something I did, but you can sure see the bird better.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....was wondering "WHY" anything eats skunks because of the smell/eye irritation thing.:icon_scratch: Do birds have a weak sense of smell....but don't buzzards use it? :dontknow:

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosnMate....that's a great photo! I guess that's light on his chest & not white? Thanks for posting it. :icon_thumleft:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea how those photos got so large, when I posted them, they were only about 4x5, and now both of them are huge. The bird was totally black, so that's light on his feathers. Regarding skunk smell, I've seen buzzards or vultures eating dead skunks also. They must be really hungry, or just don't care.

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosnMate...your photos look normal to me, only when I "click" on them do they get large...so it's fine. Your bird is beautiful & a really nice shot and yes, guess birds/animals don't mind the "yucky-ness" of what they eat. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread