Nature and landscape phototography over in the US?

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The U.S. Forest Service Wants to Fine You $1,000 for Taking Pictures in the Forest - Esquire

The above link explains a new law set to take effect in the US November 2014, No more amateur photography will be allowed in American National Parks, Forests, Monuments, Lakeshores, and Wilderness areas. Including cell phone pics and video. Professional photographers will require a 1500 dollar permit and will abide by government guidelines while in these areas. I have checked this on multiple websites and news services so if it is false info then I sincerely apologize. But sadly, it seems to be true. A petition against it can be signed at change dot org.

...Haven't been on this forum in a bit, sorry if this topic has already been discussed.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for the "Land of the Free and the Home Of the Brave". Another grab to take away the rights of the People.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of confusion and misunderstanding, big headlines in the paper, and the usual misinformed crap on the net. Since I live in the middle of the National Forest, I have a camera, I like to take pics, and EVERY pic I take is on federal land or has federal land in the background, that law caught my attention, and I found it nothin to worry about for me. Do a little more research on this, JunkShopFiddler.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And re-researching it myself, amateur pics are fine. Take all the pics you want of the grandkids on federal land. However if you are goin to come in and film a movie in the national forest, yeah, you probably will need to check in to a permit.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps there are things out there in the woods the bureaucrats don't want you to photograph, might put them in a bad light??? That would an impossible law to enforce. I could go on a rant about now, having dealt with both the Forest Service and the BLM, but I won't except to say they aren't out to help you, they are out to perpetuate the bureaucracy, and is so doing they are jerks.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its for commercial photographers. Like a hunting lisc. Geeez no hidden flying saucers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread