baby garter snake ?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I came across this little snake today. I've never seen a baby one this late in the year here in Michigan. I'm wondering if it is indeed a garter ? since it may look different at such a young age. going to put him in a fish tank and try to keep him/her warm. I did not remove him from a natural habitat, rather a Walmart parking lot...in the middle. thus I didn't want him/her to get squashed.

Mike

View attachment 1070042

View attachment 1070044

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you're right about it being a Garter. I rescued one just like if at a forward attack fire base a few years back. He was getting the crap kicked out of him by a couple of Blue Jays, I named him Rick James and let him go at the end of fire season.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are the neatest little snakes.I call them green snakes.I was hunting a lot that was cleared for a house not too long ago and found one about a foot long but real slender.They are somewhat rare to see around here anymore.I helped him to the wood so he could be on his way.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
My house is 130 years old with a fieldstone foundation.
Sometimes around now but always in the spring they seem to spill out of the foundation wall in my basement about that size.
Very placid at that point just coming out of hibernation.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good job saving him Mike!!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to worry about the garter snake freezing. They are more cold hardy then other snakes. They are the first to come out of hibernation in the spring. I have seen them out and about when snow was still on the ground. They will still bel out on cool autumn days.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm bummed out! had him/her locked in a spare bedroom, and I though I had him/her secured. got home a little bit ago and he/she has pulled a houdini. hopefully the little thing is still in the room somewhere otherwise I'm sure one of our 4 cats had a meal. really bummed, hope I find him/her.

Mike

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just walked out the front door, and found about a 10 incher on the sidewalk. What's with these little garter snakes?
jim

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm bummed out! had him/her locked in a spare bedroom, and I though I had him/her secured. got home a little bit ago and he/she has pulled a houdini. hopefully the little thing is still in the room somewhere otherwise I'm sure one of our 4 cats had a meal. really bummed, hope I find him/her.

Mike
Utoh!I am sure the misses isn't to pleased with that one.If you start smelling something a little funky later on,that will probably be it.Good luck I hope you find it.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about 10 of them on the outside of my house,where the grass meets the foundation and probably a couple more in my compost pile.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike
When I was a kid in Illinois I caught a bunch of garter snakes and kept them in a box in the basement. I had like a dozen that got loose. We'd see them every now and then moving stuff around over the years and even on the day we moved from the house they'd be snaking off down the drain or head under the furnace as we were packing out the stuff in the basement. They would survive on baby mice and crickets and for all I know their descendants could still be in that basement in a house in Kewanee Ill. We moved from Illinois around 1967. I found a few that got into the house I live now over the years and they always get away from me in to the crawl space. I kind of like them being in the crawl space as they do keep the mice under control.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always best to release these guys in a good spot..they do best outside!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread