American Pickers shop

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Hello,
The wife and I stopped at the American Pickers shop in Lecaire, Iowa this summer while on our Great River Road trip.

Thanks for looking,
Sidevalve45

IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1079.JPG IMG_1080.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
was Danni there?

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
No but I did see her at a antique motorcycle meet in Davenport later on in the summer.

IMG_1098.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
her nakey pics show that she has very little room left to ink

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the pickers are close to the Mississippi ?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup it's right on the river. Also the home of Buffalo Bill for awhile and a number of river boat pilots from long ago.
I dig that Von Dutch bike. The tank on it looks like it's from an old Honda 305 Superhawk and frame of an old BMW with a VW engine? Did Von Dutch build that bike or just do the pinstripe art on it?

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Hello Tamrock,
He built it himself from what I gather using a Harley XA frame which was a horizontally opposed twin and shaft drive like a BMW. I have a neighbor down the road that built one of these only he used a Moto Guzzi frame.

Sidevalve45

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Cool pics. I saw the 4 cylinder Indian powered car they showed on one of their episodes. If you guys remember the show they took it to get it running to the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley NC and the owner talked them into selling it to him. The museum was closing when I was there but it's only an hour away and I will be going back..

Attachments

• 102514164048.jpg
    102514164048.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 102514163922.jpg
    102514163922.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 102514163755.jpg
    102514163755.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 64

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tamrock,
He built it himself from what I gather using a Harley XA frame which was a horizontally opposed twin and shaft drive like a BMW. I have a neighbor down the road that built one of these only he used a Moto Guzzi frame.

Sidevalve45
Interesting! I like watching that show. Only bike I have now is a relic state 1964 Honda C200 90cc. Known as the 'Baby Dream' I look at it from time to time and ask my self what I should do with it. Restore it?, Resto-Mod it? or just leave it as it is?. It has a good title and the motor is free, plus it clicks threw all four gears. Over the years I've had Kawasaki's, BSA's, Honda,s and only one HD a '73 Super Glide. I keep thinking I should buy a 650 KLR some time just to catch a breeze.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it as is with a minor resto. You don't want to babysit a 100 point bike. Make her look good from 20 feet with a low cost cleanup and possibly some paint work.
This is the day I brought it home. I just pushed it in the shed after I took this pic. Got on the www and looked at seats and front fender as the plastic is for the most all poor shape (re-pop is about all I could find for parts). The muffler is worth the $150. I payed for it. It had two busted fins on the head and I did go ahead and get a good, no broken fins head on ebay for $40. so, it cost me $190. to this point. I will most likely let is sit like it is and hold it for an item to barter with, as I have thrown that out on a dickering deal with a fella who has a whole field of old relics from old tractors, autos, hit-miss engines to wrecked airplanes. He was interested, but we never got around to talking any possible exchanges as I didn't see anything in his junk I should try and deal with at that time, plus the he's a shrewd dude. I'll just keep it in the homeboy bank account for now. Mama has not the eye to calculate that particular account of mine.
:laughing7:

Attachments

• 64 honda.jpg
    64 honda.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Sounds like a plan to me. I've messed around with cars and when I was younger I had a Honda 90. If a person is going to restore a car or bike looks don't really have a whole lot to do with the starting point. Even if that bike looked a whole lot worse it would require the same amount of time and money to fix it as it would in that condition. The main thing is the original parts and the condition of them. After seeing that I think I would leave it original unless I were going to do a really nice restoration. Nice bike.

Yup I'd have to agree. As the saying goes it's only original once and you can't go back. In the vintage Harley and Indian motorcycle world original paint unmolested bikes are worth a fortune. Think north of $40,000 easily with the right bike.

Sidevalve45

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I'd have to agree. As the saying goes it's only original once and you can't go back. In the vintage Harley and Indian motorcycle world original paint unmolested bikes are worth a fortune. Think north of $40,000 easily with the right bike.

Sidevalve45
That's how it is these days. Making things all pretty and new seems to not be the trend anymore. I had a old Colt woodsman when I was a young fella and it wasn't all that bad condition and only had an average bit of holster wear. In the mid 70's I had the local gunsmith buff the nicks and [re]blued the gun. By the early 80's as I went to sell it the first interested buyer said the gun is a screwed up mess, because it's been buffed of all the original machine turnings and finish. I said what you talking about? This gun is now beautiful. That's when I first learned and understood that original state on things like it must be preserved in order to hold a good value in some cases. Indeed original condition is a one time affair.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right, Tamrock. I had a little Remington 12A, .22 caliber pump rifle. I bought it down at Red's Trading Post in Twin Falls, Idaho. That's supposed to be the oldest trading post around. Anyway, I gave $140 for it. It was in really bad shape. They had been using 0000 steel wool and oil on it to get the rust off the metal. The stock was scratched, and a couple of deep gouges. I paid just about what it was worth. I knew it would never be worth more, but wanted it to look better. I sanded, blued, refinished the stock, stripped it down piece by piece, and did the best I could. Later I got a little Armadeo Rossi SA 62A pump .22 rifle. I didn't need both. I really liked the Rossi better. I took the Rem. 12A to the gun shop and put it on consignment. The shop owner said it might bring as much as $600. Well, gun sales are really slow around here now. I talked to him about trading. I traded for a little Walther PPK/S .22LR and some 'boot'. I got as great a deal as I believe I could have ever got. I really like the little Walther! Best I can figure, I got between $450 and $500 for the little Remington. That's at least $300 for my labor. Not bad for an old man sitting around doing nothing!
If the little Remington had been in better shape, it might have been worth as much or maybe more than I got for it; but it would have cost me more when I bought it! I won't do anything to a gun if it's in decent shape because I know it will only devalue it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions