Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Denver pic looks cold. What type of mine is your friend getting up and going, would that be a hard rock mine?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Denver pic looks cold. What type of mine is your friend getting up and going, would that be a hard rock mine?
Indeed, it is a hard rock gold mine named the 'Cash' mine. It has interest off and on in the past couple of decades. A mill was put in around the early 1980's I think. The last bunch working it was in there maybe 5 or 6 years ago now, but threw in their hats. I sell UG hard rock mining merchandise and I was paying a visit to see whats up. So far it's just one person and he said he'll be looking for some miners pretty soon, so it sounds like it could be a go. I think the temp was in the upper fifty's in Denver the day I took this picture of the front range. Boulder Colorado is just below in this shot.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hit 50 degrees this afternoon, actually found a yellow dandelion bloom, today in the front yard. The hard rock gold could pay off if they hit the right spot. Someone on Nuggetshooter forum, made a really good hard rock strike within the last couple days.

Hard Rock Help - Gold Prospecting Forum - Nugget Shooter Forums

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It hit 50 degrees this afternoon, actually found a yellow dandelion bloom, today in the front yard. The hard rock gold could pay off if they hit the right spot. Someone on Nuggetshooter forum, made a really good hard rock strike within the last couple days.

Hard Rock Help - Gold Prospecting Forum - Nugget Shooter Forums
Thats sweet... I don't think the ore in this mine will have much free gold that could be detected all that well with an MD. It's locked up in a ore know as a telluride. This link gives some insight to the area mining history of the district this mine is at. Gold Hill District, Boulder Co., Colorado, USA I have heard of one recent placer find in the area, but just about all the places to hunt are on privet property. I've wanted to have a look ever since we've had the big flood 2 years ago now I think?? and the creeks in this area were right in the middle of all the big rushing flood waters. The owner of the mine (who is not the mine operators) told me of a place to check out. He said he knew a fella that did alright with a sluice box I think he said was used. He just pointed to a direction up a canyon where he said I should have a look. Maybe I'll get up in there some time and see if I have any success.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I used to see a lot of nice gold telluride specimens on ebay. If metal detectors have a harder time detecting them, should probably still be some good places left they missed.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an observation but that's a pretty wide main street there. Lots of room for the truck huh?
I've never noticed that. It is a bit wide... I'm sure the original layout of the town has changed allot from the early days.

solarsmith

Mar 27, 2016
Denver
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi from denver. I have a few hard rock mines in the central city area. been keeping tabs on the cash mine. odd that it shut down as the gold price went up. and if they had a working gold mill they should have been doing very well. I know that having a gold mill in the USA is a much rarer thing than haveing a gold mine. I am familer with gold flotation so if he would like to chat about this Im all in. all of Colorado needs a gold mill now. one that will take ore on a toll basis and pay the mines a percent of the gold recoverable. there was one started in the Idaho springs area and some construction was started . I can see there holding pond from aerial photos. when they were applying for permits they told every one how good it was going to be to take every ones mine tailings and process them and remove the metals from them and put the waste in a good safe holding pond. now they say if you want to bring then any ore you have to have a permit. there are only a very few mines in the area that have any kind of permits. and any one that wants to get rid of the mine waste on the land would have to get a permit to do such work. I have seen what this entails and it is a losing proposition. also recreational miners are not required to have permits in colorado so they will not take any waste or ore from recreational mines. I know a lot of the mine owners in the area and none of them have been able to sell there ore to the mill. and I dont think this mill is even processing the waste at there own mines. I have not seen any reduction of waste at any of the mines owned buy the mill. I know it took 5 years and at least a million dollars to set up the mill. so I do not hold any grudge against them for turning down small mines that want a mill to process there ore. I know the mill that the cash mine was using was a modern and fully permitted mill . and may be on a holding type situation now. If any one has any information on it I would love to see if it can be reactivated. If so it would be the only mill in Colorado of its type. any one with info on this mine or mill Please contact me ... I also have a face book page on my recreational mine called the (westchester) thanks Bryan in Denver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi from denver. I have a few hard rock mines in the central city area. been keeping tabs on the cash mine. odd that it shut down as the gold price went up. and if they had a working gold mill they should have been doing very well. I know that having a gold mill in the USA is a much rarer thing than haveing a gold mine. I am familer with gold flotation so if he would like to chat about this Im all in. all of Colorado needs a gold mill now. one that will take ore on a toll basis and pay the mines a percent of the gold recoverable. there was one started in the Idaho springs area and some construction was started . I can see there holding pond from aerial photos. when they were applying for permits they told every one how good it was going to be to take every ones mine tailings and process them and remove the metals from them and put the waste in a good safe holding pond. now they say if you want to bring then any ore you have to have a permit. there are only a very few mines in the area that have any kind of permits. and any one that wants to get rid of the mine waste on the land would have to get a permit to do such work. I have seen what this entails and it is a losing proposition. also recreational miners are not required to have permits in colorado so they will not take any waste or ore from recreational mines. I know a lot of the mine owners in the area and none of them have been able to sell there ore to the mill. and I dont think this mill is even processing the waste at there own mines. I have not seen any reduction of waste at any of the mines owned buy the mill. I know it took 5 years and at least a million dollars to set up the mill. so I do not hold any grudge against them for turning down small mines that want a mill to process there ore. I know the mill that the cash mine was using was a modern and fully permitted mill . and may be on a holding type situation now. If any one has any information on it I would love to see if it can be reactivated. If so it would be the only mill in Colorado of its type. any one with info on this mine or mill Please contact me ... I also have a face book page on my recreational mine called the (westchester) thanks Bryan in Denver.
Yeah! there was a fella up at the Cash two years ago shoot'n for permits to get it going, but that idea fizzled out last I checked. I did my msha class at the Edger mine yesterday and in the class was a fella who said he could process ore with a mill he has outside of Silverton, Colo. He wanted info from me on who may have some materiel to mill and I gave him at least one contact. Shoot me a PM Bryan and I'll give you his contact info. Grant in Lafayette. Sorry I'm not on facebook otherwise I'd check out your Winchester mine.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even your "brown cloud" pic has some beauty to me. The vista looks endless.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even your "brown cloud" pic has some beauty to me. The vista looks endless.
It does product some awesome sunrises. I saw one early yesterday morning heading out above the metro, so I could be in Idaho Springs by 7:30am.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread