Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather here presented a rare opportunity in December to make it out of the county so I went and looked over some new country. North of Buena Vista along the Arkansas, a really big rock popular with climbers. They have a few free campin spots around it which worked for me. 50 degrees in the day, 17 at night, clear with a big moon. Herd of deer came grazin through in the night and evidently they will not step on a person sleeping on the ground. Good place to explore. The river's nearby, and I took off wanderin up a canyon to the east. Looked like you could walk a looong ways without comin across a house or road but 5 miles was enough for me.

Attachments

• 12-8j.jpg
    12-8j.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 12-8o.jpg
    12-8o.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • 12-8l.jpg
    12-8l.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 12-8m.jpg
    12-8m.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 12-8g.jpg
    12-8g.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN your living the dream, far from the madding crowd :thumbsup:

SS

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your very close to the BV arrastra. (found pic online) There were small gold mines in and around the granite formations and on up towards Trout Creek pass, but none were ever significant from what I read. The folk in BV called this the old Spanish mill, but I believe it was much later then when the Spanish were in the area your at that would have left this. If you go looking for those old digging keep an eye out. I remember a few weren't fenced off. Just don't want you to be looking at the beautiful sky an go stepping in one. I found it odd many didn't have much of a tailing's around the hole in the ground and you'd stumble up to a shaft in the middle of nowhere. I've always felt there is a stash of treasure someplace in and around that country. It's like you say. Many good landmarks in the area. They would be perfect points. Thanks for taking us along. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• BV Arrastra.jpg
    BV Arrastra.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very fine arrastra. I've seen those before in SW Oklahoma, of all places. They were more crudely made, but I suppose they got the job done. There was speculation they were Spanish in origin. There were two gold rushes in the Wichitas, and the miners in the later one, not knowing the history, tended to call any evidence of prior mining they encountered 'Spanish Diggings'. Some of them probably are.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Really enjoyed your pictures. The only thing missing in the photo of your coffee cooking is the smell, wood smoke, coffee, sage and pine.
I tried and tried to smell it, but it didn't work. Bummer.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know what this place was called when I camped there. I did some reading about it, and here's a pic showing how it got the name Elephant Rock. Little imagination and you can see it. You can see an ear real good anyway.

Attachments

• 12-8z.jpg
    12-8z.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 66

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I can see the ear! With a little 'defocusing' of the eyes, one can see 'clearly' an elephant. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread