Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elk herd number 3, I believe there are 6 or 7 individual herds in Del Norte county.
Sea lions, there are 4 docks for their leisure.
Surfers, although no record waves today.
Longhorns.

DSCN6604.JPG DSCN6608.JPG

DSCN6609.JPG DSCN6611.JPG

DSCN6620.JPG DSCN6623.JPG

DSCN6626.JPG DSCN6629.JPG

DSCN6631.JPG DSCN6634.JPG

DSCN6637.JPG

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should move there. Just look at that clear blue sky.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great pictures, Viking. How far are these from where you live, or is the first one on your property?

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great pictures, Viking. How far are these from where you live, or is the first one on your property?

Tex, all the pics are in/around Crescent City CA. 15-20 miles from my place. The Longhorns are close to a family owned dairy, they share a field with Bison, nothing else. They respect one another. The dairy has moveable chicken coops guarded by Great Pyrenees dogs. There are at least 100 chickens in/around each. I counted 5 "wagon" coops. http://ecodairyfarms.com/Eggs.html

Last edited:

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Those elk! I've never seen one live myself. I'd be kinda scared, I think.
Sea lions look happy, and that's a good thing! :laughing7:
Love the longhorns... of course I see lots of those here in Texas, but always good photography objects!!
Thanks for sharing, I like it.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember when the only Roosevelt Elk herd in N. Calif. was at Prairie Creek. They sure have multiplied. Last time I was down that way, the old red school house south of Prairie Creek was surrounded with elk. The lack of logging up this way is not opening the woods for elk and deer feed to grow, and the animals are moving out of the hills on to local ranches. Kids inherited a thousand acre place that hasn't had an elk on it for at least 100 years, and on the last day of season, my stepson killed a branch antlered bull in the hay field, and today he was up in back and the dogs drove another bull out of he brush. Hasn't seen any cows yet, though. Sounds good, but they eat lots of feed and are very hard on fences.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when the only Roosevelt Elk herd in N. Calif. was at Prairie Creek. They sure have multiplied. Last time I was down that way, the old red school house south of Prairie Creek was surrounded with elk. The lack of logging up this way is not opening the woods for elk and deer feed to grow, and the animals are moving out of the hills on to local ranches. Kids inherited a thousand acre place that hasn't had an elk on it for at least 100 years, and on the last day of season, my stepson killed a branch antlered bull in the hay field, and today he was up in back and the dogs drove another bull out of he brush. Hasn't seen any cows yet, though. Sounds good, but they eat lots of feed and are very hard on fences.

A lot of the tribal land in Smith River has bent, broken fences. Their are 5 or 6 seperate herds that I'm aware of, and if you venture down around Klamath...a lot more. I have yet to get a good picture of a Bull elk yet. I will be glad to get a DSLR with a decent zoom.
I have 500MM lenses..35MM though. I do not want to go back to film.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread