tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before this last Christmas, I spent some time up North with an intro to my American made pneumatic jack leg drill that many a hard rock miner across the globe are oh, so familiar with. These are a few photos of some of the procedures in removing a slice of rock known as ore from deep in a mountain. I was around 5 or 6 miles from the portal where we all came in the mine. It takes an hour plus just to get in and out of the working heading of this area. It was long days and time from home. After this weekend of relax time, it'll be over and I'll be back out and about this next Monday. The 1st & 2nd pic is my drill with a factory muffler. It sucked way bad as this mine had to much moisture in their airlines and it would plug up with ice in the exhaust, causing the drill to crap-out and run poorly. 3rd pic you can see I strapped a chunk of a Hoosier Wet race tire to act as a muffler as this is a permissible means to use as a muffler by msha and the exhaust is more free and open to expel the ice particles. It runs so much better after that mod and I can see the miner is getting a bit tuckered out after a long day at hanging and bolting wire at the days end. 4th pic, is the geologist coming in to layout the ore vein. They uses lasers to mark it all out and it was kind of a neat looking lasers light display, Back when I was working in the mines they used transits, plumb bob's and a New York level to layout the advance. It's very important not to blast out anything, but the valuable ore and not dilute the excavated rock with worthless materiel, as this is what the Geo wants the miners to remove only. 5th pic is a heading all marked by the Geo to be next drilled in advance with a rig called the Jumbo Drill. 6th pic is the Jumbo Drill starting a face blast drill round. The Jumbo drill, works the same as a my drill in a rotary and percussive action with a tungsten carbide rock drill bit on the end of a drill rod, but it is an electric powered hydraulic rock drill with way more power and penetration rate in the rock over my small pneumatic drill. It take less the a minute to drill a 1-3/4 inch 10 foot deep hole in solid rock with these Hydraulic powered drills. 7th pic is an image of the type of narrow slice vein removal this mine does. They take the mill tailing's to fill the empty mined out vein and go upwards excavating a slice of rock at a time. 8th pic. Thats me. I'm digging the fact I don't need to get up and shave every day on these type sales calls. Plus I'm beaming ( with all the reflective tape on me), on how my drill ran. The miner tells me it was better then what they use now that I got rid of that stinking factory muffler.

Attachments

• jackleg demo1.jpg
    jackleg demo1.jpg
    940.8 KB · Views: 57
  • jackleg demo2.jpg
    jackleg demo2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • jackleg demo3.jpg
    jackleg demo3.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 68
  • jackleg demo4.jpg
    jackleg demo4.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 77
  • jackleg demo5.jpg
    jackleg demo5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • jackleg demo6.jpg
    jackleg demo6.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 58
  • jackleg demo7.JPG
    jackleg demo7.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 56
  • jackleg demo8.jpg
    jackleg demo8.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 54
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Tamrock,

Thank so much for sharing the story and photos.

Regards,

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! Neat Pics!! Naturally yours is the best!! Serious drilling!! Stay Safe and Happy NEW YEAR!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post. Now way I could do it. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really Cool Post Grant!...What kind of ore?
It's know as a Platinum/Palladium mine, but they do recover a little of all the minerals know as the Platinum group mineral. I was told the mines smelting operation recovers something like 7.5K ounces of Platinum a year from scrap catalytic converters also. The Palladium from this mine has become more popular for the higher end white metal jewelry market in Asia in recent times as the price of Palladium is valued less then White Gold or Platinum used in jewelry. It's a very unique ore deposit that formed unlike most your Gold, Silver & Copper deposits from hydro-thermal replacement. The Geo explained to me how they believe this deposit formed. It's allot to explain and I'm not so sure I understood it all.

Attachments

• Platinum-Group-Metals.gif
    Platinum-Group-Metals.gif
    103.2 KB · Views: 47

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shots TR. Obviously what of the end product that gets refined/retrieved is well worth it! ;)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I been in Colorado too long cause I actually understood everything you said. It would be cool if the miners from the 1870's up here could see this post.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! Looks kinda scary!!
After all, I only understood maybe every other word at the most!! LOL
Very interesting, glad you posted, and glad I looked! :thumbsup:
Thank you!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you were enjoying yourself, but I bet by shifts end you were a bit tired.
I worked topside at the mine, but that has been quite a few years. I always wanted to go below but that never happened. I still have some rich ore samples.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you were enjoying yourself, but I bet by shifts end you were a bit tired.
I worked topside at the mine, but that has been quite a few years. I always wanted to go below but that never happened. I still have some rich ore samples.
The miner gave me a chuck of rock he said was the stuff their going after. It's not anything high grade I don't think. None of the metals are visible in this rock.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW tamrock....looks dangerous, be careful and nice pictures...you look like an angel with that halo. ;)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that really jumped out at me was it takes less than a minute to drill a 1 3/4 inch hole 10 ft. deep in solid rock. I don't know much about modern mining but study a lot about the old mining days here in the Rockies. Believe me folks, the old time hard rock miners would have thought he was writing science fiction!

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you even double jack overhead?

I searched, and found out that the old time miners did double jack overhead. Referred to a "up hole", that was even slower, so they would never have imagined going up hole 10 feet in less than a minute. What may the future hold?

Homar

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that really jumped out at me was it takes less than a minute to drill a 1 3/4 inch hole 10 ft. deep in solid rock. I don't know much about modern mining but study a lot about the old mining days here in the Rockies. Believe me folks, the old time hard rock miners would have thought he was writing science fiction!
Those old timers, would no doubt think of today's mining as science fiction. Take a look at what Caterpillar is up to these days.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you even double jack overhead?

I searched, and found out that the old time miners did double jack overhead. Referred to a "up hole", that was even slower, so they would never have imagined going up hole 10 feet in less than a minute. What may the future hold?

Homar
I would say you'd need a very trusted partnership in a overhead double jack drilling. I'm sure they had some real ass busting miners who did team up to do double jack drilling overhead. I can only find images of single jack overhead driller. What a way to make a living :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• MinersWorking.jpg
    MinersWorking.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 68

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread