tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, after I finished up my work in Ouray a town that sits below the Uncompahgre Peak in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. I had a little time in the later afternoon to visit the Ute Indian Museum and the burial place of Chief Ouray and his 2nd wife Chipeta in Montrose, Colorado. It isn't a very big museum, but they do have some very wonderful old bead work artifacts on display... The land the museum sits on was once his homestead. I believe Ouray was a very intelligent, wise and fascinating individual from what I've read of him.

Ouray was born in what is now New Mexico. According to oral history, he was born on a clear night of November 13, 1833, during the Leonid meteor showers, which was taken as an omen. In Ute, ouray means “the arrow,” drawn from the meteor shower that occurred at the time of his birth. His father, Guera Murah, was a Jicarilla Apache adopted into the Ute, and his mother was an Uncompahgre Ute. He learned Spanish, English, and later both the Ute and Apache languages, which he found helpful in negotiating treaties.

Attachments

• ouray 1.jpg
    ouray 1.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 86
  • ouray 2.jpg
    ouray 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • ouray 3.jpg
    ouray 3.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 94
  • ouray 4.jpg
    ouray 4.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 103
  • ouray 5.jpg
    ouray 5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
  • ouray 6.jpg
    ouray 6.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 95

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sounds like he was pretty amazing tamrock...thank you for sharing his story & pictures. :)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He sounds like he was pretty amazing tamrock...thank you for sharing his story & pictures. :)
I thought that picture of Ouray in the center front, just goes without saying "who's the boss" amongst them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread