outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SUV is in shop.. so, having to settle for a walk thru my own neighborhood today.
I love the hills (to look at anyway) and the smell of the trees!
This is where I live... My street is the last pic.
Pretty quiet today, except for the roosters!

010.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice hilly area, looks like fun to explore

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great area for walking. Great pictures. Sometime wish I was back in Texas!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You live in a beautiful area!

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No you don't. It gets hotter every year and deodorant only goes so far...

Yes, it gets hot as hell... that is why I only do walk and hunts near water of some kind so I can jump in and cool off at a moments notice!!
(except in winter)

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked mostly outside from about 1967 until I retired in 2004. I was in the Waco area. I lived there until 2007. Yes, I know 'hot'. It was miserable at times. That's the difference between where I live now and down there. In Texas the humidity was so high! The first summer I was living here, I was sitting under a big ol' Cottonwood tree, reading a book. I sat there from about 11 a.m. until about 3:30 p.m., only getting up to go in to use the bathroom. There was a slight breeze blowing and it was quite comfortable. When I got back inside, I turned on the tv. The weatherman said it was 111 degrees at 3 p.m., but the humidity was only 8%! That's the difference between here and there. I've seen 6% humidity several times. We're at 3200 feet, considered 'high desert'. I saw 109 in Waco once in (I believe) 1980, also a couple of 106 and 108 days. Here I've seen the 111. In Texas, in the late 1980s, I once saw -4 degrees. The water lines from the water heater froze. I insulated them after thawing them with a little propane torch. That night it got -11 degrees! The water pipes didn't freeze that night, so I guess I did the proper thing when I insulated them. The next night was a little better; it was only +8 degrees.
In 1988, I was working in Waco at a convenience store. I was converting some gasoline pumps to dispensers and installing new lines and submerged pumps in the tanks. We quit one day at about 3 p.m. because it was 108 in the shade. Most of our work was in the sun. 'Course I was a bit younger back then! I couldn't stand being outside in the sun at 85 degrees with the Texas humidity anymore!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Laredo when I was 3 :)
Believe it or not... freak snowstorm... about 70-71
Went back once just to visit it... um left quickly... an went to Corpus Christie for the day/night/morn

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would you believe there are actually people in this country that have never heard a rooster in real life? Next time you hear that one, think about it. Some never leave the city and there are many that are afraid to walk in their own neighborhoods and every breath smells like public transportation. You are one of the blessed my frind. :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amen! I live " in town " too but just across my street I have seen black bear, deer, turkeys, porcupines, etc. nothing like getting to see wildlife to make you appreciate the fact of NOT living in a city. Oklahoma City was the biggest city I ever lived in and don't care to ever do it again! I had a car stolen and a house broken into there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would you believe there are actually people in this country that have never heard a rooster in real life? Next time you hear that one, think about it. Some never leave the city and there are many that are afraid to walk in their own neighborhoods and every breath smells like public transportation. You are one of the blessed my frind. :)

Ahhh, YES!!
I love the sounds of animals... and the turkeys are rampant at this time too.
When I first moved here... I was waiting for my son to get ready for school.
I went out in the back woods. I heard a turkey and wanted to see him.
Well, following the sounds,I ended up losing my way,
and barely made it back in time to take my son to school.
I was kinda scared, because I thought I could have been walking in circles,
and wouldn't know it!
Funny now, but I end up coming out of the wood behind someones' house 2 blocks over... and the blocks here are BIG...
I wandered about 8 acres away. Never did see that darn turkey!! :laughing7:
LOL

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sounds of country living are great. When I lived just west of Waco, Texas, at night we heard coyotes, owls, etc. a lot. See rabbits and squirrels in the yard. Once my wife was picking beans from the garden, and a deer walked across between the garden and some trees. The deer was about 20 feet in front of her.
Living here in Idaho, it's great to be living in a small town. The guy who lives two houses from us is a sheriff's deputy. He has some chickens in his back yard. I hear his rooster crowing occasionally. Several other houses around have some chickens. About two blocks from me, there is a lot/small pasture with several horses, goats, and sheep in it. I guess loose dogs are the least problem. The police are strict about that. (Cats are a different story!)
Quail are very abundant here in town. No bb guns are allowed, so there is no threat from humans for the squirrels, rabbits, and birds. A couple of years ago, I was driving down a street about 5 or 6 blocks from the house, there was snow on the ground, and on both sides of the street there were literally hundreds of quail scratching around in the snow for something to eat. Also, a lot of people throw out seed and such for them.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No BB guns allowed?? What's with that? I know this isn't where we discuss the 2nd amendment but I have at least 4 BB guns and always will. Just sayin'

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No BB guns allowed?? What's with that? I know this isn't where we discuss the 2nd amendment but I have at least 4 BB guns and always will. Just sayin'

I own some really nice ones too... side pump and match pistols.
Funny how laws are different in certain areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread