New Lens

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a doubler for my 300MM lens, and played with it for the first time today. So far using a tripod is almost mandatory, on account of the magnification is so great, and the shutter so slow. The auto focus works with this lens, but that doesn't seem to be the total answer for several reasons, foremost among them is the slow shutter speed. The lens isn't a low light system by any means, and trying to take photos of birds really didn't work well, because birds move so fast, and are in a totally different pose when the camera finishes the picture than when the scene was something I liked and I pushed the shutter. So I can see where the doubler might have some good applications, but it's going to take some practice to get good with it, and I don't think it's near the deal I thought it was going to be. The doubler certainly doesn't make up for getting really close with the hand held 300MM lens. I also need to try the doubler on the 55MM lens, that shouldn't require the light the 300 does.
This is an old bottle I have that my wife has on display in the kitchen.
F.jpg
And this is the label from about 15 feet using the 300 and the doubler.
C.jpg
The camera wanted to use the flash, but it was turned off, and the available light did fine with the camera on a tripod.
G.jpg
This one is outside with the flash turned off. When I pushed the shutter the bird was sitting still, head up. Note the focus on the sticks and tree, and the bird is moving and soft focus. The shutter was very slow, and I don't understand the info on the camera screen to tell how slow the shutter worked. Anyhow, I'm not passing judgement ---- yet, I need to play with it some more to see if it's worth while messing with it. I also bought a macro lens that I haven't played with yet. Will have to do that soon. Love these instant gratification digital cameras.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A bit more playing around this morning. There was a dove sitting under the grape vines across the driveway, and I tried a couple of pictures through the kitchen window.
The first picture is the 300MM lens with flash off, because I'm shooting through a double pane window.
dove.jpg
The next picture was after photo shopping the first one.
dove1.jpg
And this last picture is from the same place as the first one, only I was using the doubler this time. Through the view finder the picture looked great, and the bird was about as large as the photo shopped one. But apparently there wasn't enough light for the long lens, because this is what ended up on the camera. Was trying to hand
hold the camera also, and that wasn't working worth a hoot, so a tripod is going to be a must for use with that lens.
dove2.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birds are tough, they just don't sit still. The dove came out great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread