Feathered Thief

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This was shot through our kitchen window, a wood pecker stealing sugar water from the hummingbirds. He must have a fairly long tongue, because he is able to put his beak up to the small hole, and get sugar water from inside.
A2.jpg
A5.jpg
A4.jpg
A6.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting bird. I don't see any of those around here. Nice shot of him.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good pics!
Jim

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What cutie...is that a "Hairy woodpecker"? Should introduce him to my "gal".:laughing7: Very nice shots!

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I don't recall ever seeing one of those. I just looked it up in my bird book, and found it to be an "Acorn Woodpecker".

When I used to feed the hummers, I had a Hairy Woodpecker that would do that. I remember the hummers didn't like him at all, and they would be dive bombing him, and it didn't bother him a bit. He would just keep siphoning. :lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Ron, you just brought back some childhood memories. Seventy years ago, probably most of the fence posts in California were redwood, and all over California, out in the country along rural roads, and double especially in the Sierra Nevada foothills, along the country roads, there were fence posts that were loaded with drilled holes full of acorns. I'd forgotten all about them until now. Redwood doesn't rot, but it is relatively soft for the bird to drill. Now days, iron posts and treated wood other than redwood have replaced these posts, so redwood posts full of acorns are a thing of the past. These pictures I'm posting weren't taken by me, they come from Google images. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these fence posts, but when I was a kid they were common and taken for granted. The "Acorn Woodpecker" would drill the holes in the post, and then stuff an acorn into it, which was jammed in really tight, like they were able to measure and get a perfect fit.
Acorns_in_fence_post.jpg
Looking at the background of this fence post, I can almost smell the tar weed. The horses would be sticky black up to their eyeballs from having to graze in the tar weed; which has a unique smell, and is really nasty stuff on your pants when you walk through it.
Acorns_in_fence_post1.jpg
acorn-woodpecker-mast-fence-post1.jpg The yellow flowers behind this post could very well be tar weed.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I tried a picture of the page in the book. Hard to get the page flat. You can click on the pic a few times to enlarge.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 67

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some birds are really sneaky and quite smart, especially for having a "bird brain"
LOL I dont know what kind of woodpeckers we have here, other than pesky ones!
I didn't think woodpecker would care to bother treated lumber...
until after several days of trying to see where the woodpecker was while he was pounding his head...
finally I discover that he'd been working on the underside of my kids' wooden swingset my dad made!
He'd made himself a hole and you couldnt see him!
I had to crawl up there and wrap wire around the top to keep that lil bugger from doing further damage!
What an unexpected pain in the butt that was... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread