tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some photo's sent by a fella I came to know in researching the crew of a B17 my great uncle who I never knew, was co-piloting a B17 that was lost in the north sea in 1943. The guys name is Louie and he lives in the Netherlands. He had adopted one of the crew members from the same B17 my great uncle was on. None of the crew were ever found after a return on their first mission. Only their names are listed on the Wall of the Missing at the US Cemetery in Margraten. Louie will send me photo's of the flowers he and his sons place at the name of my great uncle on veterans day. Louie and his gang have restored many of the US military vehicles left from the battle of Arnhem I believe they mostly came from. They go through great length to bring these historic US military vehicles back to original state, down to the most minute details. Louie has the 1942 Dodge WC series military truck and the 1942 Harley-Davidson WLA 45 military motorcycle. About 4 or 5 years ago he sent me an email about the excitement he was having on finding after much searching the original US military registration-title for his very H-D WLA he restored. It was like a having a pedigree to some top show dog and increased the value of it much more then it already is. These folks in the Netherlands celebrate veterans day better then most town and city's do here in recent years. They are so grateful to the men and women who helped in their liberation so long ago. It's good to know they still care.

This is Louie's email that explains the photo's. Forgive his spelling of English, and he ain't all that bad at it. It's allot better then my Dutch.

Hi Grant, it's allong time that we have spoke each other but here in the Netherlands is evrything oké.Great video that you have send me.Now it's here wintertime so the vehicles are in the barn.End of Februari we have a trip to Monfort (NL) that is a little town in Nothern-Limburg not far from Roermond to celebrate 70 years of freedom what is liberated by the British and the Americans.Past year we have a big trip to celebrate the 70 years of D-Day in Normandy, that was a great happening.We drove there from our home town to Normandy with tree Dodges and one Harley (the Harley was on my tyrailer behind the Dodge) in two days.Great trip.(see the photos).This year we have a big trip called The Final Push, this is about the liberation of the Nothern part of the Netherlands, you can see this on the internet.This is a trip of nearly two and a half weeks from Groesbeek to Groningen.Than we have some little trips to France and Belgium, these ar trips of the US 2nd AD where i participat with my Harley.So you see we have very busy with the next celebrations.I hope you and the Family are oké and we keep in touch.My special regards to you and your Family from Louie, Lisette, Vince, Glenn and Ray.

Attachments

• louie 9.jpg
    louie 9.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 78
  • louie 10.jpg
    louie 10.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 73
  • louie 12.jpg
    louie 12.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 72
  • louie 13.jpg
    louie 13.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 67
  • louie 14.jpg
    louie 14.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A very good friend of mine was 9 years old when Holland was liberated, 5 May 1945. His family was liberated by the First Canadian Army.
He has some stories he tells, chief among them is how hungry he was. He's a few years older than me, and he attends every funeral of
every WWII soldier that passes away and is buried locally, and lately that's been quite a few. When asked about it, all he says is, "I owe them."
I was sent this email yesterday, and if fits this post. The video is well worth watching.

About six miles from Maastricht, in the Netherlands, lie buried 8,301
American soldiers who died in "Operation Market Garden" in the battles
to liberate Holland in the fall/winter of 1944.
Every one of the men buried in the cemetery, as well as those in the
Canadian and British military cemeteries, has been adopted by a Dutch
family who mind the grave, decorate it, and keep alive the memory of
the soldier they have adopted. It is even the custom to keep a
portrait of "their" American soldier in a place of honor in their
home.
Annually, on "Liberation Day," memorial services are held for "the
men who died to liberate Holland." The day concludes with a concert.
The final piece is always "Il Silenzio," a memorial piece commissioned
by the Dutch and first played in 1965 on the 20th anniversary of
Holland's liberation. It has been the concluding piece
of the memorial concert ever since.
This year the soloist was a 13-year-old Dutchgirl, Melissa Venema,
backed by André Rieu and his orchestra (the Royal Orchestra of the
Netherlands). This beautiful concert piece is based upon the original
version of taps and was composed by Italian composer Nino Rossi.

'Il Silenzio' - Melissa Venema (13 yo)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The adoption of allied soldiers buried or listed at the various WWII cemetery's is a big deal in the Netherlands. There are websites where the adoptee seek information about the serviceman they adopted. The names of these adopted soldiers are past down in the families like one would pass on an inheritance.

Meadow

May 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere I have a gold coin my (second) step-father passed on to me. He was in the Canadian Army at the time of the liberation of the Netherlands, and he said that the gratitude of the people was overwhelming. An old woman took this gold coin from her bosom where she had it stashed and gave it to him.

Perhaps I should find it and sell it and donate the money to a vet's organization or something, since I don't feel it's 'mine', and everyone is long gone.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice read TR, thanks. I've blood relative..fathers uncle (my great uncle?) taking Vimmy Ridge...fatally injured/ died there I believe just days after WWI was claimed over!...One day, I'll make it over there to his tombstone were he's lain to rest...to show my respect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions