My new hunting buddy

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Taurus TCP, comes with a real nice Bulldog BD841 concealed case..........stay safe!

IMG_0742.jpg

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece. Was going to make a Barney Fife joke about having a gun and only one bullet but I don't know how many people would get it.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a little Bersa .380 Thunder Concealed Carry for 'just in case'. Although I don't get away from the house often to detect, the little .380 is always within easy reach, if not on me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When detecting I either have a Ruger LC9 with hollow points or Sprinfield XDs .45 with hollow points... I always carry one of them, sometimes both....

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TH, I looked closely at the Ruger LCP, its very close to the Taurus, comes down to preference. I went with the Taurus (also a bit cheaper). Really happy with this smaller piece. I normally carry a rather small gun, Sig P232, but these pocket pistols are so much smaller and lighter

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I haven't thought of carrying a pistol with me but never felt I really had to. I carry enough knives on me but there's that old saying dont bring a knife to a gun fight. Why do you guys feel you need to? Bad neighborhoods you detect or what?

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Bazooka Gold Trap 36" Sniper
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My little buddy is about that small, but with a little more punch....

Its a Star Firestar M40 (40s&w) loaded with Winchester PDX1 Bonded Hollow Points.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Not that I haven't thought of carrying a pistol with me but never felt I really had to. I carry enough knives on me but there's that old saying dont bring a knife to a gun fight. Why do you guys feel you need to? Bad neighborhoods you detect or what?

Much of my hunting is at night, or early am such as 1am. I am on the beach, many times there are vagrants, but not always. If I were to scream down by the wet, its possible no one would hear me, and it may be too late. People take advantage, and at night not he beach we are vulnerable targets. If it were noon on the beach, I'd be less concerned, but likely still carry, you always have to be prepared. I realize most people will have no situation, and I hope to be one of those, but I don't take chances.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've been in some places that im not comfortable being with something that ppl may think is good for a few bucks or a rock or two. My 380 is a little bulky I feel but I know the Beretta bobcat 22 is easy carry and even though a 22 doesn't have knockdown like a 45 it will grab your attention.

I do see your point about the beach and time of hunting so protection is needed. We've had issues at our beach but such a rarity..why be another statistic.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho

In the area where I live, we have a cougar problem. There have been incidents where joggers have been attacked by them. Also a few years ago I read in the local paper where an old man was panning gold on the Umpqua river, and some young guy shot him. He then stole his pickup and left him wounded on the river bank.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Longer reach and stronger than my arms should someone or something want to bite me.
Not looking for a fight . Just detecting. And plan on going home afterwards in the same condition I left in.

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Same here. Not looking for a fight. But I'd rather be prepared, and never have to use it, than be unprepared, the one time it could save mine, or my kids lives.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for ammo, I have the little Bersa mags (3 of 'em) loaded with Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Each mag holds 8.
Bzbadger, I also have a little Walther PPK/S in .22LR caliber. The mags, 3 of them, hold 10 rounds each. I feel that I can put all 10 from a mag into a 12 inch circle as fast as I can pull the trigger. The little Bersa has some recoil and I can't fire into a 12 inch circle as fast because after each round, I have to get it back on target.
I had the little Walther out a couple weeks ago. I fired 60 or 70 rounds through it, just shooting at paper. Then I fired 40 rounds through it as fast as I could pull the trigger. With each mag-full, I had at least 9 of them inside a 10 inch circle at about 18 feet. The little gun is so easy to hold on target, just point and shoot. On the second mag load, the 4th or 5th was a FTF. I cocked the hammer and tried it again, still no fire, then on the third try, it still wouldn't fire. Just a bad primer evidently. I was shooting CCI copper coated hollow-point target rounds. If I ever decide to use the gun for carry, I'll probably use the CCI mini mags or stingers. I don't remember the specs on these, but which ever I feel is the most lethal.
The Walther .22 and the Bersa .380 are almost the same size. They fit the front pocket or back pocket of my pants, or my coat pocket easily. Also I bought a shoulder holster, but haven't got around to adjusting it to the way I want it to fit yet. Either gun will fit it nicely. I haven't found a inside or outside waist holster yet that I like.

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As for ammo, I feel that I can put all 10 from a mag into a 12 inch circle as fast as I can pull the trigger. The little Bersa has some recoil and I can't fire into a 12 inch circle as fast because after each round, I have to get it back on target.

Just remember, LEO's are trained to fire in bursts and not singles for a reason. In a critical situation, even the best marksman can have trouble putting lead where he wants it in the first round or two.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always take my wife with me. She carries the junk and I figure in a bad situation I can outrun her.

B Street Blacksmith

Apr 16, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Blue Bowl
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always take my wife with me. She carries the junk and I figure in a bad situation I can outrun her.

LOL......my wife thought I had lost my mind with how hard I was laughing at that one m8

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread