tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I went over the Bear Tooth mountains in Wyoming. I spent the night before in Sheridan Wyoming. Weather man said that I25 north was slick and icy all the way to Harding and lot better weather was over in the central basin by Greybull Wyo. I did lock in my hubs at the top of the pass as the road over the Bear Tooth's is steep and winding. It was a slow drive, but I have allot less stress then driving the high speeds on an icy interstate highway. It's prettier also.

Attachments

• Beartooth 1.jpg
    Beartooth 1.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 88
  • beartooth 2.jpg
    beartooth 2.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 81
  • beartooth 3.jpg
    beartooth 3.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 77
  • beartooth 4.jpg
    beartooth 4.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 80

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
I think I went over that a few years ago in the summer time. Not sure if it's the same route. I just remember lots of switcbacks and you could see forever from up high. That's one of the places I thought I would like to go back to in my pickup. Beautiful scenery with rugged mountains and waterfalls. Saw a moose and lots of other wildlife also.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually I went over the Bear Tooth mountains in Wyoming. I spent the night before in Sheridan Wyoming. Weather man said that I25 north was slick and icy all the way to Harding and lot better weather was over in the central basin by Greybull Wyo. I did lock in my hubs at the top of the pass as the road over the Bear Tooth's is steep and winding. It was a slow drive, but I have allot less stress then driving the high speeds on an icy interstate highway. It's prettier also.

Wow...that sure brings back some memories Grant...:occasion14:

Drove for a flatbed outfit out of Sheridan, and making the run over to
Greybull to load Bentonite was a regular trip. Many times it would be
just drizzling in Sheridan (month is of no consequence), and then you'd
head up into the Bighorns on Hwy 14 and by the top of the pass you're
in full blizzard conditions, and hangin' iron on the drive axles and a drag
chain on the trailer just so's you could get over the top of the hill.

Worst part was coming back over to Sheridan in mid-winter at 105,000 lb.
I recall one trip that they had plowed/carved the snow so high that the snow
walls were over 30' high. I was running what we called a "B Train" (2 trailers
with tridem) and the roadway had been narrowed so much there was only
room for one semi. On the tight turns the rear trailer was banging up
against the inside lane snow walls...still have nightmares about that
trip.
sSig_aaarggh.gif~original

Best way to describe that chunk of road is: High level pucker factor!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woopsy! I made an error...This pass I went over are the Big Horn mountains of Wyoming, as Dizzy says. I had the Bear Tooth mountain on my mind, because that's were I'll be working this week. The Bear Tooth mountains are in Montana and I just came down out of them. No pictures as I was up and out a 4:30 AM and out of a hole at 6:00 pm, so I did see a bit of daylight as the days are getting longer.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting how the much the higher elevations are still getting a lot of snow and we are losing the snow down here in the lower elevations. Yes, I know, winter is not over yet, but as most of us here on tnet are wishing that Spring would hurry up and get here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread