DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
004.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG This Mocking bird has been coming around for awhile now, and I have been referring to him as the 'Devil' because it is mean and chases away all other birds, it even trys to run off the squirrels.I took tnet member ivan salis's advice and got some meal worms, and sure enough it worked.At first i could only get it to fly and take then from of my knee while sitting down,but now i got it to where it will fly on my hand to eat them, it will even sit there for awhile just looking at me.I thought it was kind of neat.I hope he sticks around now.Only problem is he about ate all the meal worms:)

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is neat. They are territorial for sure. The little Chickadees will come to hand for sunflower seeds for me.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is neat. They are territorial for sure. The little Chickadees will come to hand for sunflower seeds for me.
Thanks,I thought it was pretty cool.It is a first for me!I need to get some more meal worms.I am thinking about digging some ground worms and see what he thinks ofum.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
next time try having him take them from your tongue!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I see one around here lately,they are pretty cool critters,I used to whistle a tune to one long ago....danged if he didn't whistle it back.

GOD Bless

Chris

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I miss the mockingbirds up here in Idaho. Back in Texas, we had several around the 1 acre we lived on. They would 'dive bomb' our cat. One even tried to 'dive bomb' me one morning as I was walking out to the pickup. I carried a badminton racket with me for several days after that! The cat had it a lot easier after I built a roof over the front porch. We had at least two pairs of mockingbirds, 4 pairs of redbirds, and a couple of pairs of bluejays. They were around almost every year during the last 6 or 7 years I lived there. I lived there for about 24 years. Lots of rabbits, but only a few squirrels.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see one around here lately,they are pretty cool critters,I used to whistle a tune to one long ago....danged if he didn't whistle it back.

GOD Bless

Chris
I heard that they will do that,It seems to like that show the Three's Company theme song:laughing7:That is what I have been whistling to it.I haven't gotten it to do it back yet.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss the mockingbirds up here in Idaho. Back in Texas, we had several around the 1 acre we lived on. They would 'dive bomb' our cat. One even tried to 'dive bomb' me one morning as I was walking out to the pickup. I carried a badminton racket with me for several days after that! The cat had it a lot easier after I built a roof over the front porch. We had at least two pairs of mockingbirds, 4 pairs of redbirds, and a couple of pairs of bluejays. They were around almost every year during the last 6 or 7 years I lived there. I lived there for about 24 years. Lots of rabbits, but only a few squirrels.
I haven't seen to many of them around here.From what remember a long time ago some birds where bombing one of our cats,I remember thinking they where bluejays but they must have been mocking birds.You where carrying around a badminton racket:laughing7:I guess the racket is no good without a birdie

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard that they will do that,It seems to like that show the Three's Company theme song:laughing7:That is what I have been whistling to it.I haven't gotten it to do it back yet.

Keep at it,sooner or later you'll hear it,that is if the neighborhood cat doesn't get him.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working with it every chance i get.That would be a shame if something got it.Really not too many cats around here anymore.One of mine went missing not to long ago.I don't know if some sadistic person is killing them around here or what?Will a Hawk get a cat?My uncle who lives next door,saw a red tail hawk come down and get one of his big roosters,and just yesterday he saw one swoop down and get a cardinal.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been working with it every chance i get.That would be a shame if something got it.Really not too many cats around here anymore.One of mine went missing not to long ago.I don't know if some sadistic person is killing them around here or what?Will a Hawk get a cat?My uncle who lives next door,saw a red tail hawk come down and get one of his big roosters,and just yesterday he saw one swoop down and get a cardinal.

Don't rule out coyote or fox.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very true!Not too many coyote's in this general area but they are around.Foxes on the other hand there are plenty of those.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
then there are squatches to look out for

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your new friend. Great horned owls will eat your cat. We had one turn our chihuahua into turds.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bite your tongue, Jeff! I like 'em. I have a chi/terrier mix. She's 13, I've had her about 11 and 1/2 of those years. You don't want to get on the wrong side of my and my chi! I'll send her after your ankles!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a mockingbird that mimicked my wife's cell phone ringtone. We would sit on the back porch in the evening and the bird would call out and my wife would start looking for her phone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread