Date on car?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a picture of a family picnic, but I'm not sure on the date. In the background is Soda Lake on the Carrizo Plain <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrizo_Plain> in eastern San Luis Obispo county, CA. The reason we were there was a visit to a historic place called "Painted Rock." <http://www.petroglyphs.us/photographs_painted_rock_pictographs_carrizo_plain_california_PR.htm> This is still an isolated area, but when we were there for the picnic it was much more so, and there were private ranches, but no California Valley sub division, no nature conservancy, or national monument. In fact, during WWII Soda Lake was a target for airplanes to practice strafing and bombing. From the left, the man is my Uncle, a former marine who was on board the Navy Base at Pearl Harbor 7 Dec. 41, and a veteran of Guam and Iwo Jima. He was my 100 % absolute , real life hero. Then there are my two cousins, my Aunt, me, my brother and mom. Dad took the picture. After lunch us kids were allowed to run around, and we were picking up empty .50 cal brass. Then my uncle stirred up a rattle snake, my Aunt and Mom went bonkers, and us kids were gathered up and we left. I don't remember the fate of the snake, but I don't expect it lived. Can anyone tell me the year and make of the car? I know my parents never owned a new car, and I went in the Navy in '55, so it's should to be around '50/51, but the car would date it better than my tired old memory.

12.jpg

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Not sure...I did a quick google search and came up with these. They are 56 Fords. Just realized yours is a 2 door. ( Just revised with a 2 door. )

Attachments

• 2540815092_7e2dd1a939.jpg
    2540815092_7e2dd1a939.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 65
  • 1956FordStationWagon.driver.JPG
    1956FordStationWagon.driver.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 1956_ford_ranch_wagon_2.jpg
    1956_ford_ranch_wagon_2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure...I did a quick google search and came up with these. They are 56 Fords. Just realized yours is a 2 door.

Looks closer to a '50 to me... because the wing windows arent the same... not that I'm an expert or anything...
just my estimation...

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went in the navy in Jan. '55, so this is really throwing me off, because my folks never owned a new car, and in 55 I wouldn't have been in the picture. Perhaps it was my Uncles
car that he bought new and I don't remember, but I'm thinking it has to be 53 or 54, can't be later than that. When do the next year models come out, would a 55 come out in
54?

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope! It IS a '56 Ford

I totaled a '55 back many years ago. '55 has round parking lights on the front, and '56 has the oblong ones.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
1954 Ford.jpg
1954 Ford

1955-Ford-2b.jpg
1955 Ford

1956 Ford.jpg
1956 Ford

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is absolutely a 1956, no question.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember having picnics with a blanket on the ground like that with the family. I was once whining to my mom about the gnats at one and ask my mom why in the heck did God create gnats. She said, so I would lean to notice and be grateful for "the good things in life, like a picnic without gnats". Back then I thought,your just to damned easy going mom. Later in life I figured out how to see more of the good things going on around me, but still forget at times, but remembering what mamma said so long ago can help a little in the situation. A can of pik nik shoestring potatoes always takes me back to those days. We had a brown 1958 Chevy station wagon.

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, all that said '56 were right. I've had both '55 and '56 Fords. As Deepseeker said, the '55 has round parking lights, while the '56 has rectangular ones.

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
I believe that it is a 55 or 56. The last of the 55 cars some of them had 56 parts on them because the Ford part plants changed over early that year from 55 to 56 because they were worried about what was going to happen in the auto market with the hot V8's that chev started designing and using in 1955.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've learned something. That car has to have belonged to my Uncle. I turned 17 in May of 54, and joined the Navy in Jan. 1955. I remember my brother and I out in the brush finding
.50 Cal brass, and my Uncle finding the snake. The idea behind the trip was probably to go for a drive in the new car, and we drove out to Painted Rock, and had a picnic lunch. What has me
scratching my head is in the summer of '55 I was in the Arctic, and by Jan. of '56 we were underway for WesPac -- plus, that's not a navy hair cut. It's entirely possible that the picture
could have been taken in Dec. 54 with weather like that in that part of Calif., but odds are it would be more in he fall. It's a real head scratcher, how can I be in a picture in 1954 sitting
in front of a 1956 car. The picture is off a colored slide, so there is no info written on it.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank everyone for the help on dating the car. The only answer to the mystery I can come up with now is that's not me in the picture, I was already gone off to the navy and
the other person must be a friend of my brother. So I'm probably remembering another time when we were out there, it wasn't close by, it was a long drive so would have been a
special trip. I vaguely remember being to painted rock when I was younger than 17, and climbing around on the rock, the Indian paintings, and my main memory is the rattle snake
and picking up empty .50 cal brass. I went out there one other time, but that was when I was out of the Navy, in college and none of my family was with us, and by then both my
Uncle and Father had passed away. I'll have to root around for more pictures and see what I come up with. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions