My Cannon

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a half scale Napoleon cannon, 3 foot wheels, 4 foot barrel, 2" bore. For years and years I wanted a cannon and flag pole in my yard. But when a person is young and raising kids, money for that sort of stuff just isn't available. Then I retired, and was able to buy the tube second hand from an estate. It's a new Dixie Gun Works barrel, purchased second hand (brand new, 1/4 the price and no freight) from an estate, and I had the bore sleeved with 2 inch seamless tubing. I found the three foot wheels on line, and built the rest of the carriage myself. Private N. got permission from General Mrs. N. to pour a concrete slab on the front lawn, and install a flag pole. Then Private N. got some river rocks to go around the base of the cement slab, with intent to paint them white, like he had seen at a western military post. General Mrs. N. said "No white paint." Private N. said "Aye aye Ma'am." Private N. said, "There will be no flowers or angels around the cannon." General Mrs. N. said, "Yes there will." Private N. said, "Aye aye Ma'am." So I have a cannon and flag pole, but with a feminine touch here and there. Just so you know what kind of a nut I am, when everything was ready, I took my bosn pipe, (whistle), and blew "All hands, heave around" on the whistle, then fired a blank out of the cannon, and the national colors were raised the first time in my yard. Here are a few pictures. It's a half scale cannon, but no attempt was made to make it a replica, I just wanted a shoot-able cannon.
1.jpg The cannon and flag pole in the front yard.
cannon1.jpg Here's a close up of that bad baby Napoleon.
pansey1.jpg This is a close up of General Mrs. Nelson's flowers
that decorate the cannon.
cannon3.jpg CANNON4.jpg Here are a couple of pictures
of blanks being fired from the gun, and the last picture is when we
took it out and were firing round balls at a target.
cannon1.jpg

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Heh,

Iffin I did that around here the SWAT team would be here in no time.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Wonderful that at least the general let you have your cannon.....and she said you could fire it too! Congratulations

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool cannon! Looks like a house I go by near Nelson with cannon in front

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool is that. It sure looks lagit in your pictures. I think the Generals landscaping touch brings it all together very well. Now we just need to see a video of that in action.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice piece Bosn,what you really need is a 12 pounder,fire a few full military loads to wake the neighborhood up.:laughing7:

Heres my brothers homemade cannon,a 4 pounder,2 ounce load of powder and a hydraulic cement ball.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread