• barn2.jpg
    barn2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 388

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I love to see old buildings like this. I go by one all the time and wonder if anyone has ever metal detected there.

Cheryl

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, I just got a lil closer... I sure would love to swing it too...

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
hey carolina, i am with you, i love these old places, this had a beutiful creek behind it, the house and most of the outbuildings are beyone repair but they make incredible scenery

Attachments

• DSC02199.jpg
    DSC02199.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC02202.jpg
    DSC02202.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 324

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Excellent choice of topics there Mike28! 8) These old places have SO much character, I sort of feel the presence of some of the people who worked around there or something. ??? Like, to stand inside of something like that and notice all the details and all the work that went into making these old buildings, does something to me. I think about how most of the folks who built these cool old structures, didn't have much "education" if any, but they knew how to think. They've built stuff that has easily outlasted them and they have left their silent testimony for us to marvel at... : :( :)

I was in one of those the other day and snagged a few shots fer your thread here. Notches, pegs, angles, seasoned wood, big timber, blacksmithing, and a clear thinking brain that kept stuff simple! ;) They HAD it ALL, and didn't even know it. 8)

My hat is off to the types of menfolk that built these barns, SO many years ago. 8) Not many could do this stuff to-day, for a hundred reasons, most of them, beyond our control. Govt says NO and they mean NO, with SO many things, it's amazing we still have anything that we can actually call ours anymore. :(

So dude, I'm with you, I'll take pics of them and poke around 'em with my ol' detector and get off on still being able to be around and in them. Have a Big one, and Thanx again for starting such an interesting thread, Mikeman!

lb

Attachments

• WoodenPegs.JPG
    WoodenPegs.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 266
  • CoolOldJoint.JPG
    CoolOldJoint.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 275

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would love to salvage the lumber for other projects so that it can live on another 100 years........

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
Larry - I agree, i love detecting and going through old places like this, I cant have a bad metal detecting day when I am at these places. my family has been building houses for over 5 generations, my great grandfather came over from germaney and built a lot of buildings in my area that are still around, including banks and large buisness's, I love hearing my grandfathers storys of how they would work sun up to sun down and later, then you went home at night and sharpened all your saws..... my grandfather is now in his 80's but i would say when he was in his early 70's he could still out work must guys half his age.

Rich - as much as I love seeing these old places and admire them I think there is a point where it is a shame to let all that old lumber just rot away

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Hey Mike, Kool about your Great Grandfather startin' up the whole buildin' biz up that way! Real nice to know that your Granfather, you and yer dad have been following in his footsteps too. 8) I know he's in his 80's but did you ever take him out for a little tour around some of those older sites he built? He could maybe watch a little while you dug up some lost thing there from his past. Perhaps ya'll can share a little pick-nick there, under one o' them big ol' Pines and have him tell ya a few more tales from when he built that place and stuff... :)

Our time together in this life is short my friend, and Grand Dads don't last forever.

I agree also with you and Rich on that beautiful wood just going to waste. The spot I was at, had four planks that were weathered gray but sound. They were 2x8's and 12 footers. Man, I would have loved to be able to do something with them. I KNOW that they will end up rotting and never be used and it hurts somehow, to see all that fine old wood going to waste. :(

lb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread